Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

[TUTORIAL] How to add Philips HUE plugin in less than a minute

@Sankotronic

Well written tutorial which combines the knowledge of home automation and networking (WiFi). I am sure many people has very little fundamental knowledge around WiFi just because WiFi devices are easy to setup nowadays.

The HUE I purchase has yet to arrive. This is the first venture into Zigbee Wireless (previously Zigbee does not have wireless protocol) so do pardon me if I sound stupid. Does HUE allows changing/selection of Channel?

I am a strong believer of static channel selection and granular tuning of anything related to RF. ;)

• Topic Author
  • 7 hours ago, chaicka said:

The HUE I purchase has yet to arrive. This is the first venture into Zigbee Wireless (previously Zigbee does not have wireless protocol) so do pardon me if I sound stupid. Does HUE allows changing/selection of Channel?

I am a strong believer of static channel selection and granular tuning of anything related to RF. ;)

Hi @chaicka,

First of all i want to thank you for many things that i learned from you!

Regarding your question about Zigbee channels you can find answer in my first post under TIPS & TRICKS. HUE bridge available channels are marked with yellow marker and can be changed using Philips HUE original mobile application.

Great tutorial. Any idea when the BULBS are supported in graphic scenes? It looks now that I only get them turned in via de web-interface or LUA. 

thanks!

• Topic Author
  • 41 minutes ago, remcoploeg said:

Great tutorial. Any idea when the BULBS are supported in graphic scenes? It looks now that I only get them turned in via de web-interface or LUA. 

thanks!

Hi @remcoploeg,

If I remember correctly VD can be used in block scenes as actors so you should be able to add them in scene.

On 9-4-2017 at 8:20 PM, Sankotronic said:

Hi @olekenneth,

At the moment it is not possible to make anything for IKEA smart lights as they stated on their website

(quote):

Can I develop the TRÅDFRI system by getting access to the systems API?

Not in the first release. But IKEA is working towards an open system.

(end of quote)

But when they make it public then it will be doable possibly same way as for Philips HUE.

Hi @Sankotronic,

perhaps this coul'd be an interesting DIY project: 

Please login or register to see this link.

23 hours ago, Sankotronic said:

Hi @remcoploeg,

If I remember correctly VD can be used in block scenes as actors so you should be able to add them in scene.

No. With the standard plug-in you don't see any VD's that you can use in block scenes...

• Topic Author
  • 16 minutes ago, remcoploeg said:

No. With the standard plug-in you don't see any VD's that you can use in block scenes...

Hi @remcoploeg,

You are right, plugins can't be used in block scenes. Sorry I constantly mix plugin and VD's and here we are talking about HUE plugin. So let me rephrase my previous answer:

If you want to use HUE plugin then to control HUE bulbs you will have to use LUA scenes to achieve that. My Very Smart LightsTM scene supports HUE plugin:

If you want to use block scenes to control HUE lights then you will need to use Philips HUE VD that you can find here:

You can even use both HUE plugin and VD at the same time. But since you have HC2 I definitely recommend using LUA scenes and HUE VD. Block scenes are just not so powerful as LUA scenes.

@Sankotronic, for starters, thanks for the great post.  Another question, how do you add bulbs?  Go the the Philips HUE master plugin and click on search?  or do you need to delete everything and start from scratch?

• Topic Author
  • 7 minutes ago, Landshark said:

@Sankotronic, for starters, thanks for the great post.  Another question, how do you add bulbs?  Go the the Philips HUE master plugin and click on search?  or do you need to delete everything and start from scratch?

If you follow tutorial to the letter you will have successful plugin installation. if you already try it and you have only master device but no bulbs, then you can try first to click on Search button on advanced tab of the plugin master and then wait for some time, have a beer or a smoke. After that you need to go to home page of web GUI and scroll down to the Unassigned room. If there are still no HUE bulbs like on picture in my first post then you have to delete plugin master and do procedure allover again.

I believe once plugin is properly added to the HC you don't need to reinstall it if new bulbs are added to the HUE bridge. It will appear after some time in HC2 too. At least that was the case on older HC2 firmware before 4.100. Didn't test that on firmware 4.100 and newer since I don't use plugin.

• Topic Author
  • 13 minutes ago, Landshark said:

@Sankotronic,thanks for fast reply and answer. Can I ask you why you're not using the plugin and what you use instead?

I had a lot of problems with plugin at the beginning of my journey with HC2 and besides I didn't like how plugin works. Also at that time I didn't know how to use plugin in scenes due to lack of any instructions or manual so I switch to Philips HUE VD. Since that time VD were working OK so I never returned back to plugin except during developing of Very Smart LightTM scene when I install HUE plugin for testing. i removed HUE plugin after upgrading HC2 to 4.130 because plugin for some reason just stopped working. I even reinstalled plugin from scratch on 4.130, but again stopped working after short time. That really made me angry so I deleted it again. I will install plugins again but on next firmware version for VSL scene testing purpose and hoping that it will work. If not, then I will have to remove support for plugin from next version of VSL scene and will keep only support for HUE VD.

I read about all the issues in 4.130 so I decided to wait (for the first time) with upgrading, but good to know that there's a better alternative. Is the HUE VD also supported in the VSL scene?

• Topic Author
  • 12 hours ago, Landshark said:

I read about all the issues in 4.130 so I decided to wait (for the first time) with upgrading, but good to know that there's a better alternative. Is the HUE VD also supported in the VSL scene?

Hi @Landshark,

VSL scene version 1.4.0 works with HUE plugin and VD. You can check it here:

• 3 weeks later...
    On 27.6.2017 at 9:18 PM, Bodyart said:

Hi @Sankotronic,

perhaps this coul'd be an interesting DIY project: 

Yes, indeed!  But how to integrate this into HC2 is beyond my abilities...

Anyone?

Check it out here: 

This is just to share with the community.

@olekenneth wrote about  IKEA  lamps :

Dnia 4/9/2017 o 12:59, olekenneth napisał:

Great job, @Sankotronic !

Just slightly off topic....

Did you know that IKEA has released a smart light system, also based upon ZigBee Light Link.   Check out: 

According to IKEA, it should adhere to open Zigbee standards and be compatible...  

It's really a lot cheaper than Phillips Hue. And knowing IKEA, they will expand the range and cut prices...

I wonder if you or someone is able to make a plugin or VD for IKEAs Zigbee hub, so that it can be included in the Fibaro system? That would be a big step forward for whole-house total light control on a budget!

Probably I should make an award of €100 for the first successful integration into Fibaro.... :)

Cheers,

Ole Kenneth

Please login or register to see this attachment.

I have found a note on compatibility of OSRAM Lightify lamps with Philips HUE :

I have ordered one OSRAM Lightify lamp to test.

Maybe there is one who already tested OSRAM Lightify with HUE bridge ?

Edited by gucio1234

• Topic Author
  • 34 minutes ago, gucio1234 said:

I have found a note on compatibility of OSRAM Lightify lamps with Philips HUE :

I have ordered one OSRAM Lightify lamp to test.

Maybe there is one who already tested OSRAM Lightify with HUE bridge ?

Hi @gucio1234,

Now when you mentioned i do have Osram Lightify bridge and one bulb, but after just short time playing with it I get so disappointed that is now collecting dust in "Fail devices" drawer. I can try to include it in HUE bridge, but first I need to find a way to exclude it form Lightify bridge which I find very difficult.

2 godziny temu, Sankotronic napisał:

(..)  first I need to find a way to exclude it form Lightify bridge which I find very difficult.

@Sankotronic

Here is a simple way to reset the Osram Lightify bulb to factory state :

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, gucio1234 said:

@Sankotronic

Here is a simple way to reset the Osram Lightify bulb to factory state :

Thank you! Will try this procedure but still doesn't seem so simple, what if I keep it on or of once for more or less than 5 seconds? :-P 

I found somewhere else the instruction with the time for ON and OFF to be 3 seconds, so I think the exact width  of the on/off pulses are not very critical.

• I.Srodka featured and pinned this topic
    • I.Srodka unpinned and unfeatured this topic