Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Multiple Dimmer 2 controlled by one Momentary Switch

sonypsx

Question

Hello,

i have 4 pieces of Dimmer 2 and i would like to switch them "ON" or dimm them all together with one momentary switch.

I would like to use the 2 wire method in the manual with the single switch (the first diagram listed - and then connect all four Dimmer 2 in parallel to the switch connected between S1<->Sx and Sx bridge to N.

Is that allowed?

I later plan to steer each Dimmer 2 on its own with HABridge.

I must use 4 pieces because of each Dimmer 2 will have about 220W@230V load.

Best regards

sonypsx

19 answers to this question

10 hours ago, sonypsx said:

Hello,

i have 4 pieces of Dimmer 2 and i would like to switch them "ON" or dimm them all together with one momentary switch.

I would like to use the 2 wire method in the manual with the single switch (the first diagram listed - and then connect all four Dimmer 2 in parallel to the switch connected between S1<->Sx and Sx bridge to N.

Is that allowed?

I later plan to steer each Dimmer 2 on its own with HABridge.

I must use 4 pieces because of each Dimmer 2 will have about 220W@230V load.

Best regards

sonypsx

No I dont think this will work

I think you need to wire one dimmer to one momentary switch as per diagram and then wire the rest of the dimmers feed and load only, no local switching.

Then control the other dimmers through either grouping or association linked to the first dimmer.

or

Put in 4 way momentary switch, might be a better option since grouping /association may cause issues for your HAbridge individual control.

Edited by Jamie mccrostie

• Inquirer
  • Thanks Jamie mccrostie,

4-way momentary switches are rare ;)

Yes you are right - with grouping i will have problems with individual switching with HABridge later.

Maybe someone could prove at least i will not destroy a Dimmer 2 by parallel switch them with one switch.

Or someone else has a different solution?

Best regards

sonypsx

3 minutes ago, sonypsx said:

Thanks Jamie mccrostie,

4-way momentary switches are rare ;)

Yes you are right - with grouping i will have problems with individual switching with HABridge later.

Maybe someone could prove at least i will not destroy a Dimmer 2 by parallel switch them with one switch.

Or someone else has a different solution?

Best regards

sonypsx

2 x 2 way momentary switch plates

• Inquirer
  • 14 minutes ago, Jamie mccrostie said:

2 x 2 way momentary switch plates

That would be a solution IF i have the space left :)

Thanks!

Best regards

sonypsx

@sonypsx

@Jamie mccrostie

Sorry for late addition..

If you don't need "physical switch" control of all 4 dimmers you might be able to connect 1 switch to one dimmer ( connect other 3 dimmers to lights/loads ) and use associations so when you 'physically' turn on the one (wall) switch it will switch on all 4. You would still be able to control all 4 simmers separately through the controller.

I have done this (by accident) to a TKB wall switch (association group 1) the part I'm not sure about is whether the dimmer ramp profile ( up/ down) will be mirrored on the 3 when you switch on the 1 that is connected to the switch.

The downside is that you wouldn't have local independent physical control of the 4 lights.

I hope this makes sense ( it sounded cleared in my head when I was thinking about it ;-))

-f

If you could fit a four way mains voltage relay somewhere you could control that from your push button keeping all the four local switching connections seperated. This is a closer solution to your original queston

1 hour ago, sonypsx said:

That would be a solution IF i have the space left :)

Thanks!

Best regards

sonypsx

Im sure there is also a lua scene way of doing it

Just now, AutoFrank said:

@sonypsx

@Jamie mccrostie

Sorry for late addition..

If you don't need "physical switch" control of all 4 dimmers you might be able to connect 1 switch to one dimmer ( connect other 3 dimmers to lights/loads ) and use associations so when you 'physically' turn on the one (wall) switch it will switch on all 4. You would still be able to control all 4 simmers separately through the controller.

I have done this (by accident) to a TKB wall switch (association group 1) the part I'm not sure about is whether the dimmer ramp profile ( up/ down) will be mirrored on the 3 when you switch on the 1 that is connected to the switch.

The downside is that you wouldn't have local independent physical control of the 4 lights.

I hope this makes sense ( it sounded cleared in my head when I was thinking about it ;-))

-f

Yes but sonypsx also wants to control them individually via HA bridge, if you use grouping I dont think this will work 

4 minutes ago, Jamie mccrostie said:

Yes but sonypsx also wants to control them individually via HA bridge, if you use grouping I dont think this will work 

@Jamie mccrostie

You got me there, I've no experience with HA bridge ...:-(

... yet 

Just now, Jamie mccrostie said:

Me neither:mrgreen: but if you use grouping the group likes acting the same way, not as individuals;-)

That's interesting , I thought if two lights were grouped using association I could still control them individually using the controller ... I thought I stumbled across that by accident with a TKB switch and could still control individually .. I'm away for a few days but must prove myself wrong when I get back ;-)

Just now, AutoFrank said:

That's interesting , I thought if two lights were grouped using association I could still control them individually using the controller ... I thought I stumbled across that by accident with a TKB switch and could still control individually .. I'm away for a few days but must prove myself wrong when I get back ;-)

You could be right, ive played with this before and couldnt get it to work

• Inquirer
  • Hi Guys,

thanks for the good ideas!

I will try them out as soon as my Dimmers will arrive.

Hopefully before the long weekend to have enough time to play around!

I will post my final solution here of course!

Cheers

sonypsx

On 4/11/2017 at 8:53 AM, Jamie mccrostie said:

You could be right, ive played with this before and couldnt get it to work

@Jamie mccrostie

@sonypsx

Hi,

Back home again and did a quick experiment

The rig

Double dimmer TKB wall switch to center light in room

Swiid Inline cord switch on a lamp

i associated the left paddle on the wall switch with the swiid using a group 1 association

physically turning on the left paddle turned on both the center light in the room and lamp at the same time

In the web UI I could turn on and off the center light (TKB switch) and the lamp stayed off

In the web UI I could also turn on/off the lamp (swiid switch) and the center light stayed off 

I did try control by scene/vd/lua but I assume if I have Web UI control then lua control is probably okay

So it looks like,  for these two devices anyway, an association is possible that will  work at the physical switch while maintaining independent control at the web UI/code level

It should be easy enough to replicate this experiment with the dimmers when you get them

hopefully with all the chat a solution lies somewhere ;-) 

4 minutes ago, AutoFrank said:

@Jamie mccrostie

@sonypsx

Hi,

Back home again and did a quick experiment

The rig

Double dimmer TKB wall switch to center light in room

Swiid Inline cord switch on a lamp

i associated the left paddle on the wall switch with the swiid using a group 1 association

physically turning on the left paddle turned on both the center light in the room and lamp at the same time

In the web UI I could turn on and off the center light (TKB switch) and the lamp stayed off

In the web UI I could also turn on/off the lamp (swiid switch) and the center light stayed off 

I did try control by scene/vd/lua but I assume if I have Web UI control then lua control is probably okay

So it looks like,  for these two devices anyway, an association is possible that will  work at the physical switch while maintaining independent control at the web UI/code level

It should be easy enough to replicate this experiment with the dimmers when you get them

hopefully with all the chat a solution lies somewhere ;-) 

Good work, I stand corrected

Jamie

• Inquirer
  • Hi Guys,

so thanks for your ideas and thoughts!

I tried it to wire it like the first diagramm in the manual without the bridge to "N" and try ot switch two Dimmer 2 with one single momentary switch -> no success!

Dimmers go crazy!

So the solution was to build a small 4 way relais print to get the work done separetly.

Happy Easter to all!

Greetz

sonypsx

13 minutes ago, sonypsx said:

Hi Guys,

so thanks for your ideas and thoughts!

I tried it to wire it like the first diagramm in the manual without the bridge to "N" and try ot switch two Dimmer 2 with one single momentary switch -> no success!

Dimmers go crazy!

So the solution was to build a small 4 way relais print to get the work done separetly.

Happy Easter to all!

Greetz

sonypsx

HI @sonypsx

Please let us know how it goes, its an interesting project

happy easter

-f

• Inquirer
  • Hi,

solved with:

1 Piece 12V DC Supply

2 Pieces SDS 12V relais (2x Open, 2x Close)

Wired my momentary switch to the secondary  side of the DC supply and switch the two relais just with the switch.

So 4x momentary switch solved :)

In Fibaro they are not grouped - so i can steer them separatly - but the switch will always trigger all 4 of them.

Cheers

sonypsx

31 minutes ago, sonypsx said:

Hi,

solved with:

1 Piece 12V DC Supply

2 Pieces SDS 12V relais (2x Open, 2x Close)

Wired my momentary switch to the secondary  side of the DC supply and switch the two relais just with the switch.

So 4x momentary switch solved :)

In Fibaro they are not grouped - so i can steer them separatly - but the switch will always trigger all 4 of them.

Cheers

sonypsx

I got close;D good work