Jump to content

Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

 

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

 

As a member you can:

  •     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

 

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team


  • 0

Anybody use beacons


AutoFrank
 Share

Question

Hi 

I was wondering if anybody was using Bluetooth beacons in their home automation setups?

 

Some early reading suggest that they are quite flexible and not too expensive (£30) for a reasonable long range water proof one.

I'm looking to see if I can develop a solution to replace geo fencing for opening gates or setting home modes.

This is what I'm thinking ....

Beacon located by gate or front of house 

User approached house and phone picks up beacon (unique)

Beacon app on phone fires off url that's picked up by hc2 ( perhaps through IFTTT)

HC2 executes action 

 

Mad, Crazy, or just might work ?

 

Please login or register to see this attachment.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

I'm using my wifi for that.

With tasker on my Android phone I set the away/home status.

Tasker detects whether or not I'm logged into my wifi and fires an URL.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
  • Inquirer
  • 4 hours ago, diedvdyk said:

    I'm using my wifi for that.

    With tasker on my Android phone I set the away/home status.

    Tasker detects whether or not I'm logged into my wifi and fires an URL.

     

    Thanks @diedvdyk

     

    Some phones don't connect to Wi-Fi when asleep like my wife's galaxy S7 or the iPhone's so I'm searching for laterial solution 

     

     

    Edited by AutoFrank
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    • 0

    we using in our projects all kind of beacons, but with bt<->lan gateway from inode (

    Please login or register to see this link.

    ) and custom VD

     

     

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    • 0
  • Inquirer
  • 13 minutes ago, tinman said:

    we using in our projects all kind of beacons, but with bt<->lan gateway from inode (

    Please login or register to see this link.

    ) and custom VD

     

     

     

    Thanks @tinman

     

    That's interesting

    Are there any project that you could expand on here in the forum to give us an idea how you're using them ?

     

    -f 

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    • 0

    i can't share our VD, but it is actually very simple to get the data from the gateway (there are docs, python, windows, Linux examples, schematics, looot of support from manufacturer). You can then, as we do, capture all kind of beacons (not only these from inode, 3rd part products will be displayed as unknown but their uuid is visible, so good enough).

    We mostly using them for things like alarm systems, pet's control, door control, environment measurments (some of inode beacons have as well data logger function and nice sensors).

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    • 0
  • Inquirer
  • 32 minutes ago, tinman said:

    We mostly using them for things like alarm systems, pet's control, door control, environment measurments (some of inode beacons have as well data logger function and nice sensors)

     

    @tinman

    I find this intriguing and its a pity you can't share more but I fully understand...:-|

    Have you completed anything like what I indicated in my first post ?

     

    thanks

    -f

     

     

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    • 0

    that what you asked on the top of thread? sure, e.g. bukii beacon and lauch here app (calling fibaro HC2 scene when beacon in range and out of range). The only problem is, having customer changing their smartphones each every few weeks, one have to configure these smartphones :-( , and for e.g. visitors showstopper. This is why we changed to BT Ethernet gateway, it is easier to ask user to enter new (or visitor) uuid, or to here and there :) 

     

     

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    • 0
  • Inquirer
  • 12 minutes ago, tinman said:

    that what you asked on the top of thread? sure, e.g. bukii beacon and lauch here app (calling fibaro HC2 scene when beacon in range and out of range). The only problem is, having customer changing their smartphones each every few weeks, one have to configure these smartphones :-( , and for e.g. visitors showstopper. This is why we changed to BT Ethernet gateway, it is easier to ask user to enter new (or visitor) uuid, or to here and there :) 

     

     

     

    Thanks @tinman

     

    I think I understand but will need to read and research a bit more to make sure I understand all the moving parts

    more to read and research :-D

    -f

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    • 0
    W dniu 12.04.2017 o 23:25, tinman napisał:

    bukii beacon

    Hi tinman... can you give more info about this solution... I mean call scene when beacon in range... can you give more info what app can locate bracons on bacground and make some action on range ?

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Join the conversation

    You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

    Guest
    Answer this question...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoji are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

     Share

    ×
    ×
    • Create New...