Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Anybody use beacons

AutoFrank

Question

Hi 

I was wondering if anybody was using Bluetooth beacons in their home automation setups?

Some early reading suggest that they are quite flexible and not too expensive (£30) for a reasonable long range water proof one.

I'm looking to see if I can develop a solution to replace geo fencing for opening gates or setting home modes.

This is what I'm thinking ....

Beacon located by gate or front of house 

User approached house and phone picks up beacon (unique)

Beacon app on phone fires off url that's picked up by hc2 ( perhaps through IFTTT)

HC2 executes action 

Mad, Crazy, or just might work ?

Please login or register to see this attachment.

9 answers to this question

I'm using my wifi for that.

With tasker on my Android phone I set the away/home status.

Tasker detects whether or not I'm logged into my wifi and fires an URL.

• Inquirer
  • 4 hours ago, diedvdyk said:

I'm using my wifi for that.

With tasker on my Android phone I set the away/home status.

Tasker detects whether or not I'm logged into my wifi and fires an URL.

Thanks @diedvdyk

Some phones don't connect to Wi-Fi when asleep like my wife's galaxy S7 or the iPhone's so I'm searching for laterial solution 

Edited by AutoFrank

we using in our projects all kind of beacons, but with bt<->lan gateway from inode (

Please login or register to see this link.

) and custom VD

• Inquirer
  • 13 minutes ago, tinman said:

we using in our projects all kind of beacons, but with bt<->lan gateway from inode (

Please login or register to see this link.

) and custom VD

Thanks @tinman

That's interesting

Are there any project that you could expand on here in the forum to give us an idea how you're using them ?

-f 

i can't share our VD, but it is actually very simple to get the data from the gateway (there are docs, python, windows, Linux examples, schematics, looot of support from manufacturer). You can then, as we do, capture all kind of beacons (not only these from inode, 3rd part products will be displayed as unknown but their uuid is visible, so good enough).

We mostly using them for things like alarm systems, pet's control, door control, environment measurments (some of inode beacons have as well data logger function and nice sensors).

• Inquirer
  • 32 minutes ago, tinman said:

We mostly using them for things like alarm systems, pet's control, door control, environment measurments (some of inode beacons have as well data logger function and nice sensors)

@tinman

I find this intriguing and its a pity you can't share more but I fully understand...:-|

Have you completed anything like what I indicated in my first post ?

thanks

-f

that what you asked on the top of thread? sure, e.g. bukii beacon and lauch here app (calling fibaro HC2 scene when beacon in range and out of range). The only problem is, having customer changing their smartphones each every few weeks, one have to configure these smartphones :-( , and for e.g. visitors showstopper. This is why we changed to BT Ethernet gateway, it is easier to ask user to enter new (or visitor) uuid, or to here and there :) 

• Inquirer
  • 12 minutes ago, tinman said:

that what you asked on the top of thread? sure, e.g. bukii beacon and lauch here app (calling fibaro HC2 scene when beacon in range and out of range). The only problem is, having customer changing their smartphones each every few weeks, one have to configure these smartphones :-( , and for e.g. visitors showstopper. This is why we changed to BT Ethernet gateway, it is easier to ask user to enter new (or visitor) uuid, or to here and there :) 

Thanks @tinman

I think I understand but will need to read and research a bit more to make sure I understand all the moving parts

more to read and research :-D

-f

W dniu 12.04.2017 o 23:25, tinman napisał:

bukii beacon

Hi tinman... can you give more info about this solution... I mean call scene when beacon in range... can you give more info what app can locate bracons on bacground and make some action on range ?