Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Analog Sensors for RGBW Controller

askme

I am having trouble figuring out what real world analog sensors I should be buying that work with the RGBW Controller.  The documentation is vague but clearly shows analog sensors with only 2 leads.  I have concluded that 1-wire and other digital sensors won't work from what I can glean from this site and others.  Every temperature sensor I have seen has had three leads and are clearly digital.  Do I just need a thermister?  Are there analog humidity sensors?

I simply need a waterproof lead to get the temp from a pool.

Thanks for any recommendations.

2 hours ago, askme said:

I am having trouble figuring out what real world analog sensors I should be buying that work with the RGBW Controller.  The documentation is vague but clearly shows analog sensors with only 2 leads.  I have concluded that 1-wire and other digital sensors won't work from what I can glean from this site and others.  Every temperature sensor I have seen has had three leads and are clearly digital.  Do I just need a thermister?  Are there analog humidity sensors?

Use UBS module with 3 wire DS18B20 temp sensor in pocket 

Re humidity sensors  let me know if you find one to fit RBG , Ive tried to find one... or search aeotec multi sensor

RBG will still work too, 3 wire +,Gnd, and in. Three wire but UBS cheaper for one input.

Edited by Jamie mccrostie

• Topic Author
  • 45 minutes ago, Jamie mccrostie said:

Use UBS module with 3 wire DS18B20 temp sensor in pocket 

Re humidity sensors  let me know if you find one to fit RBG , Ive tried to find one... or search aeotec multi sensor

RBG will still work too, 3 wire +,Gnd, and in. Three wire but UBS cheaper for one input.

Sorry to be daft, but googling "UBS Module" I came up empty.  

Do you mean something like 

Please login or register to see this link.

?

I see now that the Fibaro wiring diagram is in fact calling for three leads to vDC, GND, and IN.  I assume Signal needs to be analog voltage connected to IN.

Thanks again

9 minutes ago, askme said:

Sorry to be daft, but googling "UBS Module" I came up empty.  

Do you mean something like 

?

I see now that the Fibaro wiring diagram is in fact calling for three leads to vDC, GND, and IN.  I assume Signal needs to be analog voltage connected to IN.

Thanks againmodule

UBS is a Fibaro module check knowledge tab, forum header, manuals,UBS,  more.

temp will work on window/ door sensor too if you don't want to organize power supply

• Topic Author
  • Ah sorry, the Universal Binary Sensor.  But that seems to be buying another device to do the same thing.

I was under the impression from the knowledge tab and manuals that there were analog devices that could directly feed to RGBW controller for temp, humidity, light, etc, etc.  and that I was just being an idiot and not using the right search terms.

So there aren't compatible analog sensors that work with the RGBW  Controller?

1 hour ago, askme said:

Ah sorry, the Universal Binary Sensor.  But that seems to be buying another device to do the same thing.

I was under the impression from the knowledge tab and manuals that there were analog devices that could directly feed to RGBW controller for temp, humidity, light, etc, etc.  and that I was just being an idiot and not using the right search terms.

So there aren't compatible analog sensors that work with the RGBW  Controller?

Well sure you could just use a analog Hot water thermostat with the right scale and connect its contacts  between common and in.

With UBS I was meaning they are way cheaper than RBG to buy but will work. If you already have RBG

all good. 

• Topic Author
  • Thanks.  I do have the RGBW Controller and have a number of things I want to measure/manage, so I was hoping to use those inputs without breaking the bank.

Googling around, it seems what I need is a generic PT100 and a Temperature Sensor Transmitter.

1 hour ago, askme said:

Thanks.  I do have the RGBW Controller and have a number of things I want to measure/manage, so I was hoping to use those inputs without breaking the bank.

Googling around, it seems what I need is a generic PT100 and a Temperature Sensor Transmitter.

Or just a DS18B20 3 wire sensor, cheap as chips

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Topic Author
  • Just now, Jamie mccrostie said:

Or just a DS18B20 3 wire sensor, cheap as chips

That is what I wanted, but as far as I can tell, it outputs a digital signal the RGBW can't read.  I had understood, I would then need a digital to analog converter to feed to the RGBW Controller.  I'd love to be mistaken.  Does the Controller have a digital input anywhere?

Sorry about confusion at post I suggested UBS ....

Yes this will work with RBG

When you include RBG select correct options set up as input and then for the input the sensor is connected to  "temp sensor".

It is obvious once you play around with it

• Topic Author
  • Just now, Jamie mccrostie said:

Sorry about confusion at post I suggested UBS ....

Yes this will work with RBG

When you include RBG select correct options set up as input and then for the input the sensor is connected to  "temp sensor".

Wow, so you are saying the RBGW Controller will accept digital DS18B20 1-wire style inputs rather than 0-10v analog signal with the right settings?

Ive used one on pool before, just buy PVC fitting with pocket built in and glue in to filter circuit

3 wire 

1 signal wire 

It is still  0 to 10v 

• Topic Author
  • I saw this in the manuals and assumed it would not work:

No, this is a 1-wire digital sensor, compatible only with Universal Binary Sensor and Door/Window Sensor.

3 minutes ago, askme said:

Thanks for posting that.

May be, the one i used was connected to a UBS but I have both sitting here Somewhere so ill try it.

22 minutes ago, askme said:

I saw this in the manuals and assumed it would not work:

No, this is a 1-wire digital sensor, compatible only with Universal Binary Sensor and Door/Window Sensor.

Hmm see what you mean. Sorry

Way cheaper to buy UBS half price of RBG And your pt100 and transmitter$$$

On 4/25/2017 at 0:04 AM, askme said:

Sorry to barge in but there is no doubt what kind of sensors can be used with RGBW module:

12/24VDC – power supply signal
    GND – power supply ground signal
    IN1 – potential free / 0-10V input 1
    IN2 – potential free / 0-10V input 2
    IN3 – potential free / 0-10V input 3
    IN4 – potential free / 0-10V input 4
    R – output assigned to IN1
    G – output assigned to IN2
    B – output assigned to IN3
    W – output assigned to IN4

So what you need to do is search for any sensor that supports output 0-10V and nowadays there are many that support most of the common outputs 4-20mA, 0-5V and 0-10V and all is needed is to setup some DIP switches to select needed type of output. I believe that even sensors with output 0-5V can be used but of course you will have to do scaling of the measured value in the scripts. 

Edited by Sankotronic
    Attachment quota filled up / deleting older stuff sorry :-(
    • Like 1

This can also be used to measure temperature and humidity with an RGBW module.
    The sensors are here 4-20mA and you need to complete with a 500 ohm resistor for the signal to be used.
    The input signal will then be 2-10V which you adjust under Input on the RGMW module.

1 RGBW module
    1 Transformer 12V
    4 resistors 500 ohm
    2 Temp and Moisture Sensors
    As a sensor, I use the Störk-Tronic FT20
    -20 to +80 degrees and 0-100% RH

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, RH_Dreambox said:

This can also be used to measure temperature and humidity with an RGBW module.
    The sensors are here 4-20mA and you need to complete with a 500 ohm resistor for the signal to be used.
    The input signal will then be 2-10V which you adjust under Input on the RGMW module.

1 RGBW module
    1 Transformer 12V
    4 resistors 500 ohm
    2 Temp and Moisture Sensors
    As a sensor, I use the Störk-Tronic FT20
    -20 to +80 degrees and 0-100% RH

Curious, are the sensors exspensive

And why the 4 inputs?

I need humidity sensor solution for either RGB or UBS

But something not to $$$