Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Motion Detection and false detections

EliFib

Question

I have three motion detectors with the last firmware version (2.8).

With the three motion detectors I have randomly false detections and don't understand why.

I can assure that at that moment there has been no movement. Is it possible that a change of lux cause a brached situation?

My config:

1: 10

2: 15

3: 1-2

4: 2-12

11 answers to this question

• Inquirer
  • In my case isn't a temperature change and neither is a lux change:

Please login or register to see this attachment.

The three motion detectors are pointing to a window (not directly).

I don't understand what you are saying. That is maybe because of a (double) language barrier, or maybe because I don't really understand your problem.

This is what I think I understand.

The article I linked to in my previous post (post #2) talks about this:

• A user has false triggering of a FGMS 3.2 (safe/breached).
    • In post #2 user @wpeeters says he got this on a version 2.8 and solved it by (I quote): "So I started changing parameter 1 bit by bit. Now it's on value 14 (default is 10 I think) and I don't have any false alerts anymore
    • In post #3 Fibaro support says: "Any sources of high temperature around the FGMS? Is it pointed at a window? Also, check parameters regarding sensitivity and thresholds."

I don't understand why you talk about "temperature change" or "lux change", then post a snippet of your event log. Because nobody is referring to the event log. It's all about having temperature changes or sudden brightness changes in the field of view of the sensor. Like: turning on a heater, or a fan. A possible source of heat & light combined is a halogen lamp or an incandescent lamp.

I see "Luz Cocina 1" (kitchen light) turned on at the same time as the motion sensor so I assume the light was turned on because someone or something triggered the sensor. Is this what you describe as "I have randomly false detections"? In that case, I think it's worth checking the previous advise... If that is not your problem, please enlighten me ;-)

• Inquirer
  • I'll try to explain it another way :)

"Luz Cocina" (yes!, kitchen light in spanish) It's a double switch that is associated to FGMS, it's the reasson because when the FGMS is breached the light turn on. I use this config to turn on automatically the light when anyone enters the kitchen.

Randomly the light turn on automatically but I can't see any change in the kitchen (movement, temperature or light), I checked the event log and I can see a presence detection.

I posted my event log to demonstrate that the FGMS not detect any change of temperature or light (I suppose that the temperature changes or sudden brightness is reported by FGMS).

With your explanation I try to play with the parameter 1 to adjust the sensitivity.

Thanks.

7 minutes ago, Rafael Suarez said:

@petergebruers and @EliFib I think so the problem is the language. I try to help you. Hablo espanol.

Jajaja, yes a little confusion with linked post. Gracias.

El único sensor que puede encender la luz de la cocina es el sensor de movimiento que tienes? si solo trataras de poner off la escena que hace eso. Solo por descartar que es el sensor de movimiento que esta fallando.

21 minutes ago, EliFib said:

(...) Randomly the light turn on automatically but I can't see any change in the kitchen (movement, temperature or light), I checked the event log and I can see a presence detection.

I posted my event log to demonstrate that the FGMS not detect any change of temperature or light (I suppose that the temperature changes or sudden brightness is reported by FGMS).

(...)

I see. Indeed, if the sensor false-detects movement, it would send a message to all the associated devices. This turns on the light. Because ID 1 = your controller = in the association group(s) (I expect it do be there, unless you've removed it) you also expect a "sensor breached" entry in the event log. Quick check: do you get such an event if you intentionally trigger the sensor? I guess so, because we are talking about the sensor in the last entry of your screen shot...

In that case, either the light is turned on as @Rafael Suarez said, by a scene. Or perhaps a (wrong) association on another device. Maybe the light is not turned on by the sensor after all... If you cannot link it to anything else happening, I can think of another explanation but it's rare (a buggy device, with "rogue" associations).

You expect temperature and light to be reported, if one of those trigger the FGMS, but that is not the case. The FGMS conserves battery by measuring then temperature and the illumination at certain intervals. If your sudden temperature change happens between those sample points, it won't be reported. Of course, if the heat source is turned on for more than the sampling period, it will be detected. I've never tried to reproduce false alarms, but there are a few other posts, referring to heat sources and light sources near the sensor.

• Inquirer
  •  

@Rafael Suarez I can turn on the light with a switch or automatically (motion detection) with FGMS, I use associations, not scenes.

After the explanation of @petergebruers (thanks!) I think that is a sensibility problem. I will change the parameter 1.

• Inquirer
  • After change parameter 1 to 14 I haven't had any "false triggered" more.

Thanks.

Well I have seen this 'false positive' movement triggers when the battery was going down...

I have one Fibaro motion sensor v3.2 that was giving false motion triggers with parameter 1 on default settings. Moving it around the house, re configuring it or exclusion/inclusion didn't help! After changing parameter 1 to higher value false motion triggers stopped and is now again working properly. So, I can confirm that changing sensitivity can reduce or eliminate false motion triggers.