Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

dimmer switch not lghting 1st time

Edb

Question

Hello all, Ive got these lights

Please login or register to see this link.

ive fitted a dimmer 2 and bypass ( directly into the dimmer 2 between feed to lights and Neutral). Ive played with pretty much every setting i can find. They have a dimmable driver on them. Now when you flick the light switch they flash on for a second then go off ( same goes for it you do it through the UI ) the next time you flick the light switch they'll come on  fine. Ive tried them with scenes and they do the same. Ive got 3 rooms with these lights in they are landing ( 3 lights) hall ( 2 lights) bathroom ( 4 lights) they all have the same problem thought thb the bathroom seems to be more stable at the mo. Is it a light issue or a dimmer setting. Ive just reinstalled the system from scratch  so everything is a fresh install and im running 4.120. before i reinstalled some of the dimmers they worked fine, with the dimmer in place but not added to the hc2. Ive spoken to Fibaro and they've suggested, wiring ( its fine, 2 are on 2 way switching 1 is on a one way and ive software disabled the 2way switch and it didn't make a difference) and settings.  Has anyone come across this or got any ideas?

many thanks

Ed

11 answers to this question

34 minutes ago, Edb said:

Hello all, Ive got these lights

Please login or register to see this link.

ive fitted a dimmer 2 and bypass ( directly into the dimmer 2 between feed to lights and Neutral). Ive played with pretty much every setting i can find. They have a dimmable driver on them. Now when you flick the light switch they flash on for a second then go off ( same goes for it you do it through the UI ) the next time you flick the light switch they'll come on  fine. Ive tried them with scenes and they do the same. Ive got 3 rooms with these lights in they are landing ( 3 lights) hall ( 2 lights) bathroom ( 4 lights) they all have the same problem thought thb the bathroom seems to be more stable at the mo. Is it a light issue or a dimmer setting. Ive just reinstalled the system from scratch  so everything is a fresh install and im running 4.120. before i reinstalled some of the dimmers they worked fine, with the dimmer in place but not added to the hc2. Ive spoken to Fibaro and they've suggested, wiring ( its fine, 2 are on 2 way switching 1 is on a one way and ive software disabled the 2way switch and it didn't make a difference) and settings.  Has anyone come across this or got any ideas?

many thanks

Ed

When i reread this  post sounds more like parameters settings than loading

set for push buttons not toggles

17 minutes ago, Jamie mccrostie said:

When i reread this  post sounds more like parameters settings than loading

set for push buttons not toggles

Are you using toggles or pushbuttons?

Edited by Jamie mccrostie

• Inquirer
  • Ill take some shots of them.. . They are all on  momentary switches.

ill post screen shots later. Thanks

19 minutes ago, Edb said:

Ill take some shots of them.. . They are all on  momentary switches.

ill post screen shots later. Thanks

Check parameter 20 is set to 0. And 26 is set 0 

It could be your wiring are your momentary switches normaly open and the remote ones wired in parallel?

Edited by Jamie mccrostie

The FGD-212 recalibrated when you added it to the HC2. It might have chosen less than optimal values.

Please calibrate it again, by setting p13 = 2 (force auto-calibration of the load with Fibaro Bypass). Refresh the web page after 20 seconds.

Then please post the values of parameters 1,2,5,6,7,8,14,30,31,32,33,34 because they tell a lot about the configuration, load and calibration.

In the past, people have a few times silently ignored my request to post the values of these parameters. Let me explain *WHY* I would like to know them. You might think: "I didn't mess with those parameters (yet) - why should I respond to that question? Surely those parameters are all at their default values? Why waste time by telling the obvious?".

But they are not at their "default"... You see... "calibration" means the dimmer tries to determine optimum values for some parameters, by pulsing/stepping its output and measuring the response of the load (so changing load? Do a calibration!). Because you and I have a different loads on that dimmer, we end up with different parameters! And that's why I'd like to know what they are set at...

• Inquirer
  • On 5/7/2017 at 11:42 AM, petergebruers said:

The FGD-212 recalibrated when you added it to the HC2. It might have chosen less than optimal values.

Please calibrate it again, by setting p13 = 2 (force auto-calibration of the load with Fibaro Bypass). Refresh the web page after 20 seconds.

Then please post the values of parameters 1,2,5,6,7,8,14,30,31,32,33,34 because they tell a lot about the configuration, load and calibration.

In the past, people have a few times silently ignored my request to post the values of these parameters. Let me explain *WHY* I would like to know them. You might think: "I didn't mess with those parameters (yet) - why should I respond to that question? Surely those parameters are all at their default values? Why waste time by telling the obvious?".

But they are not at their "default"... You see... "calibration" means the dimmer tries to determine optimum values for some parameters, by pulsing/stepping its output and measuring the response of the load (so changing load? Do a calibration!). Because you and I have a different loads on that dimmer, we end up with different parameters! And that's why I'd like to know what they are set at...

hello . ive set the dimmer to byapss and they still dont work properly so now im wondering if the led dimmable driver that came with them doesn't work will with the hc2. 

ive just re auto calibrated and heres the requested settings.

1=38%

2=99%

5=1%

6=0.01s

7=1%

8=0.05s

14- dimmer operates on auto calibration settings

30=control mode selected automatically

31=trailing edge

32= mode selected automatically

33=load recognized as non-dimmable

34=1- short soft start (0.1)

when ive calibrated it before parameter 33 shifts between dimmable and non dimmable without me doing anything. the transforms are the ones that came with the drivers. do you think its worth getting one dimmer to run the lights so the load recognized better. sofar each light has its own transformer, where ive got 4 lights they seem to work fine but where ive got 2 &* 3 lights they dont.

thanks

Ed

• Inquirer
  • On 5/7/2017 at 8:30 AM, Jamie mccrostie said:

Check parameter 20 is set to 0. And 26 is set 0 

It could be your wiring are your momentary switches normaly open and the remote ones wired in parallel?

hello par 20 is already set to 0 but 26 is set to 1 as ive got two way light switch on  it. if i set it to 0 ( getting ride of 2way lighting ) it still has the same fault. ive checked the wiring and its done correctly

thanks

3 hours ago, Edb said:

hello par 20 is already set to 0 but 26 is set to 1 as ive got two way light switch on  it. if i set it to 0 ( getting ride of 2way lighting ) it still has the same fault. ive checked the wiring and its done correctly

thanks

Hi @Edb

Firstly If you have momentary switches then you dont have two way switching, thats for toggle switches .

The dimmer either sees solid on and off with single toggle switch, solid state change with 2way toggles  or a pulse with momentary or multible monentary switches. It needs the correct settings to distinguish between these.

If it worked fine before being included to HC then  auto calibration must have changed its switching parameters 

Id try getting it to work just with one local switch first, at the dimmer, making sure its a normally open pushbutton type switch between sx and s1 without any other remote switch wiring just to prove thats working first.

I know you say you have checked wiring, but  if you post a photo of your wiring set up this might help us.

@petergebruers may have a comment re your parameters you have posted

19 hours ago, Edb said:

hello . ive set the dimmer to byapss and they still dont work properly so now im wondering if the led dimmable driver that came with them doesn't work will with the hc2. 

ive just re auto calibrated and heres the requested settings.

1=38%

2=99%

5=1%

6=0.01s

7=1%

8=0.05s

14- dimmer operates on auto calibration settings

30=control mode selected automatically

31=trailing edge

32= mode selected automatically

33=load recognized as non-dimmable

34=1- short soft start (0.1)

when ive calibrated it before parameter 33 shifts between dimmable and non dimmable without me doing anything. the transforms are the ones that came with the drivers. do you think its worth getting one dimmer to run the lights so the load recognized better. sofar each light has its own transformer, where ive got 4 lights they seem to work fine but where ive got 2 &* 3 lights they dont.

thanks

Ed

Thanks! That is very useful information. The most plausible explanation seems that your load does not meet the criteria (min load, mac load) of the dimmer or the load is incompatible. Maybe manual setting can get the light to work. After that, I'd say it's an electrical problem. Let's focus on the load first.

• Is this a 2-wire or a 3-wire setup?
    • What kind of lamps are these? How many Watt? How many in parallel?
    • If they are 12 V, are they connected to an electronic transformer (like "Osram Halotronic") or is it an old "iron core" that was used with halogen lamps?
    • When you turn on the light, did you notice any message at the top of the web ui? Like "overcurrent"?
    • You have "Bypass 1" or "Bypass 2". They are not interchangeable, you really need "Bypass 2".
    • Why did you add a bypass? Usually people try first without them. So what problem are you trying to solve? How many do you have connected to the lamps/dimers? What happens if you (temporarily, for testing) disconnect the bypass?

• Inquirer
  • On 5/12/2017 at 7:19 PM, Jamie mccrostie said:

Hi @Edb

Firstly If you have momentary switches then you dont have two way switching, thats for toggle switches .

The dimmer either sees solid on and off with single toggle switch, solid state change with 2way toggles  or a pulse with momentary or multible monentary switches. It needs the correct settings to distinguish between these.

If it worked fine before being included to HC then  auto calibration must have changed its switching parameters 

Id try getting it to work just with one local switch first, at the dimmer, making sure its a normally open pushbutton type switch between sx and s1 without any other remote switch wiring just to prove thats working first.

I know you say you have checked wiring, but  if you post a photo of your wiring set up this might help us.

@petergebruers may have a comment re your parameters you have posted

@petergebruers.. thanks. they were wired up for 2way lights, as the manual shows, ive wired them all together now and.. they seem to be working. The come on and off so maybe that was the problem. If funny Ive spoken to fibaro tech many time about his over the last 18 month and they never though to sugges that momentary swithes can be wired up for 2way lighting. many thanks and thanks every one else for your help. finally i may now not get the " this automation stuff doesnt work, cant we just go back to a normal light switch?"