Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Aeotec Wallmote experience ??

AutoFrank

Question

Hi,

Has anybody used a Aeotec wallmote with a HC2 ?

I'm looking for feedback on usability and integration

Please login or register to see this link.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Thanks

_f

I got one of these a few months back from Vesternet UK. It's a nice little unit - backplate with double sided tape that you can stick to the wall, detachable front part that uses magnets to attach to the backplate. Good build quality, glass front with LED and haptic feedback. Rechargeable battery via USB.

I have mine above the bed - the bottom 2 buttons operate electric blanket (my side and her side), top buttons operate the two bedside lamps. Useful for when one of us has has fallen asleep with their light on! This is done via a Fibaro double switch each side of the bed.

There is no template for HC2 (as at ver 4.120), but inclusion is simple, and 'out of the box' gives 8 options: short press and long press for each of the 4 buttons. I understand there is also a 'swipe' option for each of the buttons, but I assume a parameter needs to be set to allow this. Not something I will be using yet.

Vesternet took this off sale after a number of customers had problems with the battery draining after only a few hours. I had this problem too when I first set it up. My theory is that the unit is sensitive to the USB charger: I had problems when I charged it from a 2.1A charger, but it worked fine after I charged it from a 1A charger. (Or maybe that's just coincidence.)

• Inquirer
  • On 5/11/2017 at 7:34 PM, Timbo said:

I got one of these a few months back from Vesternet UK. It's a nice little unit - backplate with double sided tape that you can stick to the wall, detachable front part that uses magnets to attach to the backplate. Good build quality, glass front with LED and haptic feedback. Rechargeable battery via USB.

I have mine above the bed - the bottom 2 buttons operate electric blanket (my side and her side), top buttons operate the two bedside lamps. Useful for when one of us has has fallen asleep with their light on! This is done via a Fibaro double switch each side of the bed.

There is no template for HC2 (as at ver 4.120), but inclusion is simple, and 'out of the box' gives 8 options: short press and long press for each of the 4 buttons. I understand there is also a 'swipe' option for each of the buttons, but I assume a parameter needs to be set to allow this. Not something I will be using yet.

Vesternet took this off sale after a number of customers had problems with the battery draining after only a few hours. I had this problem too when I first set it up. My theory is that the unit is sensitive to the USB charger: I had problems when I charged it from a 2.1A charger, but it worked fine after I charged it from a 1A charger. (Or maybe that's just coincidence.)

Thanks @Timbo

It looks its worth a look some more...

_f

I have just bought the Wallmote.

It's a nice product but still too buggy to be very useful. The battery draining problem is down to the firmware.

I did a firmware upgrade which fixed the battery draining but now it goes nuts every so often. It works perfectly for a couple of days then glitches.

Flashing blue light for a couple of minutes then it seems to recover. Firmware ver 1.8.

This firmware version mysteriously dissapeared from their web page. so I am guessing it is not stable.

You also need the Z-Stick to do firmware upgrades - additional expense. Update cannot be done with USB connection like with the Minimote.

My suggestion is to sit this out until they fix their firmware properly.

I am going to try exlude the Wallmote and add it again - hopefully this improves things.

I have used their Minimotes for more than 5 years without problems.

• Inquirer
  • Thanks @Juky

I didn't purchase yet

I have two minimote's.

One is working perfectly and the second wot include properly.. It gets added as "Not Configured"

Can you remember how you included it ?

Was it 

tap Learn button and the click Add Device (on HC2)

or 

"Add Device" and then tap learn button

or some other approach ?

This is an application note from Vesternet. How to add Minimote to HC2.

Please login or register to see this link.

This first step is important: Reset the Minimote by holding its 'Associate' and 'Learn' buttons until the LEDs stop blinking. (factory reset)

My current Minimote firmware version is at 1.7 - There is a vesrion 1.9 available but while everything is working I don't fiddle.

I set my parameter 250 = 0. I see Vesternet recommends setting 250 = 1.

Group Mode Parameter 250 [1 byte dec]: 0

Scene Mode Parameter 250[1 byte dec]: 1

I also struggled to get them included iniatially. It was a long time ago that I did this so sadly I don't remeber all the details.

17 hours ago, Juky said:

This firmware version mysteriously dissapeared from their web page. so I am guessing it is not stable.

My suggestion is to sit this out until they fix their firmware properly.

oh well, after 14 months still no official fw v1.8 for aeotec MS6 (but only buggy beta), so why they should not do exact the same game with wallmote :( 

In my opinion Wallmote have problems with the integrated cap touch controller sensitivity (Cypress PSoC 4, very good controller), some our installer reported issues when the touch is bit dirty (normally no issue for PSoCs) or direct sun exposure (like on the one i have). Some have issues when using usb power supply, but that's the same as for other products, most ppl are using cheap chargers instead of quality power supplies.

Knowing Aeotec I made of course copy of the v1.8 firmware for Wallmote ZW130 EU, see attached

Edited by tinman

Hello 

Question about the wallmote, Have installed one in my HC.

Now i see 4 devices configured in the HC2 for each button an item.

Also what i see in detail that there is no possibility to change the icon and in the diagnostics I see that there is no template.

Please can you assist to solve these items.

thanks

regards

Edited by RobS

Hi @RobS

I just included the wallmote 3 weeks ago and it works fine... the 4 images besides the main one will always be there at least if you make them hidden in the system... you can't change the icon and there is no template either... I just configure it as I wanted it to work each button and everything works just fine... didn't change anything as it got itself configure...

hope this helps

regards 

On 2017/10/22 at 12:17 PM, tinman said:

oh well, after 14 months still no official fw v1.8 for aeotec MS6 (but only buggy beta), so why they should not do exact the same game with wallmote :(

I have moved my Wallmote very close to the HC2. It hasn't failed now in three days - this is the longest period so far.

I suspect the failure could be due to a routing problem.  Maybe a parameter needs to be set?

Still doesn't explain why the Wallmote glitches.

I had the original Aoetec motion sensors which I struggled to get to work properly in my network. They too kept failing after a few days.

They would only work if I didn't rout them through another device, ie close to the HC2. I replaced these with fibaro sensors.

For now this will have to be the solution.

Wallmote Quad has has glitched again.

This time it worked for a whole week.

I will pack it away until a newer version of firmware is released.

I might try the Devolo wall switch in the meantime.

Hello,

My experience with wallmote's and Fibaro is:

• Looks worse than on pictures
    • Beeping is so annoying I switch it off ASAP
    • Vibration is pretty useless too
    • Fibaro HC2 integration is really pain in the a$$
    • Dimming(by sliding) just doesn't work
    • My family hate the "touchpad" switches
    • I hate them too - got 3 pieces for sale if I find a sucker ;D

Edited by Edward Trapp

Hi all,

did anyone manage to overcome the problem with the wallmote losing it and blinking blue?

Mine with firmware 1.8 does this repeatedly - am lost...

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Karsten

Hi Karsten,

I think the wallmote touch sensing is poorly designed - I doubt a firmware upgrade will fix this.

I donated mine to a friend who has the Zipatile Home Controller.

It behaves exactly the same with the Zipatile.

I am now using the Remotec ZRC-90 - they are cheap and they work.

You will need a Lua script to get all presses to work but this a simple copy paste exercise.

Cheers

I bought a wallmote Quad recently and other than @Edward Trapp I was impressed :-)

• the thing looks nice (much more modern than the Zwave.me and Devolo switches)
    • beeping and flashing can be controlled by a parameter
    • has a built in battery
    • includes like a charm with the HC 2 (and also with the Domoticz on Raspberry with an Aeotec Zwave USB stick)
    • and is well controllable with a bit of Lua code.

The reason I bought the Wallmote is that the Zwave.me WallC-S switches are giving me a headache with respect to battery usage.

I have an Aeotec doorsensor and I connect it once in a while to an USB charger to charge it. I hope the same will be with the Wallmote.

If you use scene activation you have the 4 buttons with the actions Pressed, Hold and Released which makes it easy to switch on/off en dim up/down a lightsource or whatever other device. In my system the wallmote controles the Fibaro 230V and 12V dimmers.

but also controlling it directly from the HC2 is only a few moments work.

I did not try direct association with devices

and the sliding..., well on a quarter of a tile, sliding can never be accurate so I solved this by using Hold = StartLevelIncrease and Release = stopLevelChange

but I bet sliding will work on the normal WallMote

I anyone is interested in the LUA code, send me a PM and I post the code here.

BTW the code is nearly the same as I posted for the Zwave.me WallC-S units.

@Edward Trapp I you want to get rid of your wallmotes, I am the sucker:-P who takes them off your hands;D

Cherio

Edited by robd
    • Like 1

Ahhh, I sold them just about 2 weeks ago. For quarter its price :| Well most of them anyway. One "didn't make it" through live testing phase if You know what I mean... Oh by the way - the touch front really seems to be some kind of glass because it shattered into thousands of pieces ;)

Glad it works for You buddy. For me Aeon is on blacklist. Except for Multisensor ;)

Apparently three are 2 different hardware versions of this device. The original version has firmware version 1.x  - the latest available version is 1.8. The new hardware version has firmware 2.x - the latest version is 2.3.  

There was clearly some sort of problem with the original v1 hardware. It can only be upgraded to 1.8,  it cannot be upgraded to 2.x.

i have a v2 device which is used many times each day, and is absolutely flawless. I also have a v1 device which is only rarely used - it does occasionally have glitches but mostly works OK.

So if you have a v1 device, you can upgrade to v1.8, but you may still have problems - or return it to your seller. If you have a v2 device then make sure it’s on 2.3. Aeotec support are really helpful, but you will need a z-stick to do the update (I got a generic Chinese one for £5 off EBay). You cannot update the firmware via HomeCenter.

@Timbo Thanks for info, luckily that's not my problem anymore. I sent my devices back while they were on warranty. And got them back with updated software (~1.7?) claiming to be solution. It wasn't. Had 3 devices, all of them had the issue. With or without update. Also updating with z-wave stick is clearly understandable. It's also unnecessary pain in the ass.

22 hours ago, Edward Trapp said:

Ahhh, I sold them just about 2 weeks ago. For quarter its price :| Well most of them anyway. One "didn't make it" through live testing phase if You know what I mean... Oh by the way - the touch front really seems to be some kind of glass because it shattered into thousands of pieces ;)

Glad it works for You buddy. For me Aeon is on blacklist. Except for Multisensor ;)

eeehhh what a bummer. can't you buy another 4 and deliver them to me for a quarter of the price? :lol:

sorry, just teasing.

Yeah, one should not drop the wallmote on the concrete floor. They don't survive that.

I am going to see how long the unit lasts on one charge cycle.

So if you have a v1 device, you can upgrade to v1.8, but you may still have problems - or return it to your seller. If you have a v2 device then make sure it’s on 2.3. Aeotec support are really helpful, but you will need a z-stick to do the update (I got a generic Chinese one for £5 off EBay). You cannot update the firmware via HomeCenter.

I have firmware V2.3 (lucky me) but I can't find anything about the hardware version.