Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Cheap Z-Wave devices

cag014

Inserting is not a problem. Tested original fibaros in the same outlet and no problem there. Other plugs like the vacuum cleaner don't give problems. 

OK, got you wrong. Are the pins 4.8 mm diameter? might be good if you can try in an disassembled wall outlet, having the plastic only without the electrical contacts. Might be the outer diameter of the plug is too big, so it touches the plastic when being inserted, which would be very bad. I do not assume the pins have a rough surface, that would make it hard as well

there can be many reasons, but definitely reads like some tolerance problems or alike. Just guessing

44 minutes ago, kunoch said:

OK, got you wrong. Are the pins 4.8 mm diameter? might be good if you can try in an disassembled wall outlet, having the plastic only without the electrical contacts. Might be the outer diameter of the plug is too big, so it touches the plastic when being inserted, which would be very bad. I do not assume the pins have a rough surface, that would make it hard as well

there can be many reasons, but definitely reads like some tolerance problems or alike. Just guessing

Will try, thanks for the suggestion.

It also could be the PE-clamps (earth) that are stretched beyond.

Like I said I just noticed and didn't investigate as we were in the middle of selling our house.

Jim 

• 4 weeks later...

I have bought also some items from Neo:

I don't know if I can post this, but here you can also find some items for a good price :)

Please login or register to see this link.

Maybe some more people will buy them and give it a try :)

Regards

• Topic Author
  • On 9/12/2017 at 0:54 PM, RubberDuck said:

I have bought also some items from Neo:

I don't know if I can post this, but here you can also find some items for a good price :)

Please login or register to see this link.

Maybe some more people will buy them and give it a try :)

Regards

Thanks, have ordered wall socket. Excellent bargain. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Topic Author
  • 6 hours ago, RubberDuck said:

Have someone maybe bought this WallPlug and add this To HC2!?

how it looks there!?

in My HC2 it is like a Switch!?

regards 

Wall plug usually is the switch, so it's ok

26 minutes ago, cag014 said:

Wall plug usually is the switch, so it's ok

And you can replace the icon by whatever you want/ need

• Topic Author
  • yes you are

Hi, 

thanks for your replies. I can change the Icon on the "left" side, but not on the right side ( where is the WallPlug ) ?!

There I have now an Wall on / off Switch.

Second Question. Have maybe someone this WallPlug from NEO Coolcam?! I have added this now in my HC2 and they stay now: Not configured?!

Please be careful with these cheap devices. I would first test them if there is no certificate as it can easily end up in being an expensive cheap device. I know the cost of developing and manufacturing of electronics as well as molding a.s.o. and also the cost to obtain the certificates. I also think the brand name devices in EU are 'somewhat' overpriced. On the other hand only these prices give fibaro the money to get the software bug free ;-), which I would highly appreciate.

just my 2c

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, kunoch said:

Please be careful with these cheap devices. 

i think @petergebruers can tell something about (hehe, sorry but you have to tell something)

35 minutes ago, tinman said:

i think @petergebruers can tell something about (hehe, sorry but you have to tell something)

I'll post some facts and figures next week. Promised. So people can decide for themselves...

• Topic Author
  • FYI,

I have two wall plug switches and they are controlling following devices

1. Jacuzzi pump (~400 W)

2. Pool pump (~ 1400 W)

They work fine no issues at all.  The pool pump switch is 12 meters away from controller (including two concrete walls), so looks like the range is good as well.

On 9/29/2017 at 8:41 AM, tinman said:

Hi! I have done my research and I have asked permission to publish it. They have not decided yet, I'll probably know more next week.

8 hours ago, petergebruers said:

Hi! I have done my research and I have asked permission to publish it. They have not decided yet, I'll probably know more next week.

Do your findings include the fit in the wall outlets? A friend of my reported the same tight fit on Bush Jager outlets as I did on Gira.

Jim

12 hours ago, jimicr said:

Do your findings include the fit in the wall outlets? A friend of my reported the same tight fit on Bush Jager outlets as I did on Gira.

Jim

My Neo Coolcam plug size and pins meet specifications, so it fits (my) Belgian and French sockets. But it does not meet VDE 0620-1 for the distance between the grounding tabs, so they will indeed pose a tight fit in Type F aka CEE 7/4 aka "Schucko" sockets. The norm says nominal 32.5 mm tolerance + 0 and - 0.1 mm.

Measured with my caliper, in mm, +/- 0.1 mm tolerance:

NEO: 34.5 (too big)

Fibaro Wall Plug (Gen 1): 32.5 (correct)

Random cheap power cord #1: 32.2 (a bit too small)

Random cheap power cord #1: 31.5 (too small)

It would be good if someone could confirm my measurements, 1 plug is not very statistically significant.

Well better too big so it does not fit than too small so it arcs o.O,

I bought some cheap Schucko so I could use Fibaro wall plugs in uk and damaged a Fibaro wall plug with them. Fibaro was correct cheap plug pins were too small.

Edited by robmac

5 minutes ago, robmac said:

Well better too big so it does not fit than too small so it arcs o.O

Sure! You live in the UK, so to be on the safe side, I'd like to clarify that the current carrying pins and receptacles are in spec. It's only the Schuko (side) earth contacts that are out of spec. As you said, better "no fit" than "no earth".

Electrocuted or burnt to death. I will take the other option.

I think you are wise to get your calipers out but also you know electronics so can recognise poor equipment.

Not sure I would understand if any of the components were incorrectly sized unless they had a big 10A labels on them when rated at 3000W at 230v :?:  on the packaging, 

Despite that slightly worrying history identified by the Swedish electrical certification  I am going to stick with known brands.

I hope they have learnt their lesson.