Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Cheap Z-Wave devices

cag014

Hi

Has anybody experience with this NEO device

NEO Coolcam NAS - SC02ZE Light Switch  -  EU 2GANG  WHITE 

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Topic Author
  • On 10/26/2017 at 11:58 AM, AutoFrank said:

Hi

Has anybody experience with this NEO device

NEO Coolcam NAS - SC02ZE Light Switch  -  EU 2GANG  WHITE 

Have ordered one of those two days ago... let's see

Is anyone knows where I can buy cheap CO2 sensor?

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Just installed this one: "

Please login or register to see this link.

" - working OK so far, although its got cheap plastic look and feel.

1 hour ago, Acho said:

Just installed this one: "

" - working OK so far, although its got cheap plastic look and feel.

I would not recommend buying anything which need power from a socket directly from China. You have no guaranties that it is in a quality as demanded by EU directives and thus, can be dangerous to use and even cause an electrical fire. It is not even legal in EU to use such devices and could make you responsible for any damages caused by the devices. You even risk your insurance reclaim.

One of the reasons for the cheap Chinese devices to be so cheap is that the Chinese companies have not made and payed for all the tests that are necessary for selling electrical equipment in Europe. There are lots of examples of fires started by faulty Chinese devices - just google "fire started by cheap phone chargers".  

Furthermore, the logo on the back of the Neo Coolcam looks like it is accepted in EU because of the "CE"- logo. But the logo look-a-like is made to trick you. It actually stand for "Chinese Export" and is not the same as the CE-logo. The similarity is intended!

Edited by Thomasn

@Thomasn I agree with the important parts of your post and I'm happy that I'm not the only one who thinks regulations are important! Personally, I do not believe the "China Export" story but that is not very important, please have a look at the youtube vid below. A reputable manufacturer provides marking, does testing and publishes a "statement of conformity".

I do understand people's frustration because "regulations", "testing", "safety", "reliability" and "functioning product" are not the same thing. I'd say, from personal experience, it is a lot easier to make a "functioning product" than to make it safe, legal and meet all kinds of regulations.

A guy in Belgium bought a "no brand high power wi-fi adapter" and took out part of the image of the weather radar at our national airport:

The downside of a forum is that sometimes messages get buried, so I'd like to repeat parts to two of my previous posts regarding certification:

On 10/9/2017 at 7:57 AM, petergebruers said:

(...)I understand that you are disappointed, because a product stopped working! It is indeed unfortunate that regulations and certifications do not test (much) functionality and mostly concern safety (burning down your house, causing injury or death). Can you please check regulations in your country? In Belgium, it is illegal to sell/use a device that does not have the CE logo, does not have a "statement of conformity" (see my previous post). The Ministry of Economy can ban sales and remove the product from the market. The same thing can happen if the statement is fraudulent or if the product does not meet the requirements. I have tried to find this information and failed. Please correct me if I did not search well enough... So, unfortunately, in Belgium, the question whether this product works well and is safe is rather academic, unless someone finds the documents... I am sorry , I cannot talk about quality of the plug(s) because I do not have permission and also because of a few reasons listed a some posts back...

TO ALL FORUM MEMBERS: Please tell me what the law in your country says about this! And can you please try to find the CE logo on your plug, and the statement of conformity of that device? Also, if you think it is wrong of me to pay so much attention to this regulation stuff, please tell me why I am wrong about it... If you do not live in the EU, you will have to find out what is required.

For all Fibaro devices, you can download this information from

Please watch this Australian guy...

On 10/8/2017 at 5:57 PM, petergebruers said:

(...) I'd like to stress that I have not made any suggestion regarding the quality of the plug and its use I have only pointed out the lack of markings on the plug.

The only thing I have said up to now  is that it has very, very little "certification" and reference to normative documents or testing faciities. To my knowledge the "CE" logo means, "I, the manufacturer, certify that the product meets the requirements of the EU". As far as I understand it, it is not completely pointless, because any EU citizen can file a complaint if he/she suspects this is a fraudulent claim. On the other hand, if the manufacturer only stamps "CE" on the box and does not detail "I have submitted this product with this or that certification body to make certain it meets EU directive  X, Y and Z" then it is down to trust...  A "UL" label = "Underwriters Laboratories" would mean a lot more because they really test stuff. But that is a USA thing...

Fibaro also "declares" conformity, please have a look at how they do that and tell me what you think with respect to the declaration of Neo...

Now you mentioned Aeon Labs... I made a modest attempt at finding their certification and I can find, for example, this in the ETL database:

So they say the "Smart Switch Gen5, Model No. ZW075-A02" meets UL-244A... Whatever that may be, I have to look it up, ... but at least it is a real test!

If you want to make certain that UL or ETL markings are valid, you can try to find them in their database...

Edited by petergebruers

8 hours ago, petergebruers said:

@Thomasn Personally, I do not believe the "China Export" story but that is not very important,

I do not know if it is true but the CE mark has been misused through times. Furthermore, a lot of the cheap products one can import directly from China are marked with the CE logo without proof.

40 minutes ago, Thomasn said:

I do not know if it is true but the CE mark has been misused through times. Furthermore, a lot of the cheap products one can import directly from China are marked with the CE logo without proof.

Now I fully agree! ;-)

Robbshop in the Netherlands also sell's them.

The Neo Coolcam are for me look-alike from Fibaro.

Edited by Sjekke

The Neo Coolcam power plug is very good working i can confirm. I use 16 of this device in my zwave network, all work fine for 9 months now. Power reporting is very accurate also. Only lack is Fibaro it self because they haven't build a template for this  device as I requested multiple times. 

• 1 month later...

Hello guys,

as i look through the forum, i honestly dont know what to thing about Neo Coolcam Plugs. Many of you said that they had some problems with these plug, i found few cases when they started smoking, went shorted when people plug them in socket or they just stopped working after few weeks. But also many of you have no problems with them.

Im worrying mainly because it seems they dont have CE certification for these plugs. On their website they have posted CE cert., but only for some type of their IP camera..

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • 10 hours ago, play3man said:

Hello guys,

Im worrying mainly because it seems they dont have CE certification for these plugs. On their website they have posted CE cert., but only for some type of their IP camera..

They have the CE logo on all their products... Don't know if it means something, but I don't think they can use this logo without certification.

I have two power plugs, two light switches and one motion sensor, they all work just fine for almost an year.

From other hand have

Fibaro:

double switch burned out

door sensor doesn't response properly and most of the time shows as dead device.

smoke sensor starts alarm randomly.

Aeon Labs:

door sensor sends alarm time to time w/o any reason.

power plug dead after three weeks....

Sensative Strips:

door sensor strip - have it less than year and already have problems with the battery level. Per company statement  and I quote "Long lasting battery life. (Up to 10 years)" . I intend to replace it with Neo Coolcam door sensor (cost $21.75 only) on Aliexpress. Other brands cost at least twice!

By the way here some reviews from Amazon on the battery life... looks like they don't last so long....

So go figure what's wrong and what's right..

Edited by cag014

26 minutes ago, cag014 said:

They have the CE logo on all their products... Don't know if it means something, but I don't think they can use this logo without certification.

I have two power plugs, two light switches and one motion sensor, they all work just fine for almost an year.

From other hand have

Fibaro:

double switch burned out

door sensor doesn't response properly and most of the time shows as dead device.

smoke sensor starts alarm randomly.

Aeon Labs:

door sensor sends alarm time to time w/o any reason.

power plug dead after three weeks....

Sensative Strips:

door sensor strip - have it less than year and already have problems with the battery level. Per company statement  and I quote "Long lasting battery life. (Up to 10 years)" . I intend to replace it with Neo Coolcam door sensor (cost $21.75 only) on Aliexpress. Other brands cost at least twice!

So go figure what's wrong and what's right..

That is not a CE logo (Conformité Européenne) but China Export. But your experience with Fibaro devices is really interesting. I have one fibaro plug, door sensor with temp, motion sensor, smoke detector... Everything works fine. 

Edited by play3man

• Topic Author
  • 4 minutes ago, play3man said:

That is not a CE logo (Conformité Européenne) but China Export. But your experience with Fibaro devices is really interesting. I have one fibaro plug, door sensor with temp, motion sensor, smoke detektor... Everything works fine. 

I think it is, here is the same logo (including FCC and RoHS, same as on the products)

2 minutes ago, cag014 said:

I think it is, here is the same logo (including FCC and RoHS, same as on the products)

There is small difference :)

• Topic Author
  • I familiar with China Export mark, but to me it looks like CE, just because the mark is beside FCC and RoHS... there is no logic to have certification for FCC and not for Europe market!?

Please visit:

It says that they have all certifications...

Edited by cag014

11 minutes ago, cag014 said:

I familiar with China Export mark, but to me it looks like CE, just because the mark is beside FCC and RoHS... there is no logic to have certification for FCC and not for Europe market!?

Please visit:

It says that they have all certifications...

I contacted them directly today and they send me an answer just now.

So, it looks like they have all the certifications needed, and, of course, the CE is one of them. 

• Topic Author
  • Good to know... well done

Thank you

In that certificate above, there are six applicable standards (EN) and five of them are just for frequencies and something like that. But the last one (en 60950-1...) is for electrical parts etc. 

Edited by play3man

So this is good for us?! Or what tell me the certificate?! :)

I have also some Plugs and Door sensors, and they works now some month fine. I am think to buy some more, it would be nice, when someone could say to this something.

Regards