Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Adding Temp sensor in window sensor --> soft or hard reconfigure?

kunoch

Hello everybody,

I have installed the temperature sensors to my already working system. I added the DS18B20 to the window and door sensors. So all the door and window sensors are configured and used in the HCL system

Question is now, which reconfiguration is needed to get the sensors visible as active devices?

• Soft reconfigure device? I would prefer this one, so I do not loose all the scenes and VDs using the window sensor
  • Reconfigure device? The brute force way, removing and adding the z-wave device? I hope this is not needed

thanks for advice

kuno

Edited by kunoch

Unfortunately, the brutal way

Connecting/disconnecting the temperature sensor to/from previously added Door/Window Sensor, requires removing and re-adding the device to the Z-Wave network.

• Topic Author
  • Thanks, unfortunately I expected this answer :(

• Topic Author
  • I reconfigured all the sensors, running around the house and then typing in all names and stuff again. What a task, especially witht he slow update of the HCL GUI.

I have hidden the temperature sensors, as it is shown in the rooms overview. But in the phone app (android) I do not see the temperature at all. At least I have not found it anywhere.

Any clue how I can do this, so the temp is visible in the room overview in the phone app?

Has anyone seen a reason to 'calibrate' the sensors and adjust the measurement? So far, I do not see any need as they are within the +/- 0.5 °C, what I consider as being good enough for room temperature measurement.

Have plenty od this temperature sensors and for home use are perfect. There is no need for calibration at least not for me.

Just checked temperature of our swimming pool and is 25'C. I go for a swim! :-) 

So far, I do not see any need as they are within the +/- 0.5 °C,

I also have a Nest thermostat, but how can I calibrate my motion sensors so they advertise the same temperature as my Nest?

Even 3 sensors installed next to each other advertise a different temperature.

For the doorsensor I used DS18B20 waterproof version with a cable of 90cm. Nice, only 6,95€

Edited by Sjekke

• Topic Author
  • @Sjekke: in the advanced setting of the sensor (if the template is supporting this) there is a slider for the offset, here you can make the necessary corrections if needed. Or just type in the value on the right and save it. Might take some time until you see the modification as it is depending on the wakeup time of the sensor.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Edited by kunoch

@Kunoch I agree with you, but I only can adapt this with + or  -0,61°. Let's say I want -0,45° .. how can I a adapt this?

• Topic Author
  • @Sjekke: just type it in on the right and save. but then be patient until the sensor wakes up next time, only then the value will be corrected properly. until then the value will always jump back and if you press save it will overwrite your previous value. So type it in, click save and WAIT..............

I have tried this with my devolo and fibaro and it works, but really needs patience to wait for the next wake-up of the sensor.

Might well be a limitation of your device then if it is not working at all with the value you want, then best is to get as close as possible, trial and error :-(

Edited by kunoch

Any offset settings bellow 1'C is for me ridiculous since tolerance of the DS sensor is +/- 0.5'C, and if compared to reading of any other temperature sensor that has at least same tolerance can give you max 1'C difference. Besides, this sensors are not sending measurement except when it is equal or greater than setting for reporting in HC, or when it wakes up. So, this is not real-time measurement and some tolerance must be accepted.

If you want scientifically accurate temperature measuring then you need to replace this cheap sensor with some super-duper expensive sensors to get it! But even then you will have to do scientific study of the room where you will install it and do measurements on different heights and different planar positions with different combinations of doors and windows opened to calculate deviations of the temperature measurements. :-) 

• Topic Author
  • @Sankotronicyou are absolutely right, should be an indicator. I put a few sensors with new door window sensors into an isolated box together with a calibrated temperature probe. At least at room temperature I could not see any need for adjustment, was very much within the specified +/- 0.5, even much better than that.

and as you state it is representing the temperature in ONE specific location of the room and update is not fast.

If used for some sort of ventilation system it would be good enough, even considering the delay in temperature update.

Edited by kunoch

On 22/5/2017 at 9:24 AM, Sankotronic said:

Any offset settings bellow 1'C is for me ridiculous since tolerance of the DS sensor is +/- 0.5'C, and if compared to reading of any other temperature sensor that has at least same tolerance can give you max 1'C difference. Besides, this sensors are not sending measurement except when it is equal or greater than setting for reporting in HC, or when it wakes up. So, this is not real-time measurement and some tolerance must be accepted.

The DS is reporting correctly, but the motion sensors are not reporting very accurate. 2 motions sensors lying next to each other report a difference of more than 1,3° ...

On 5/30/2017 at 8:06 AM, Sjekke said:

The DS is reporting correctly, but the motion sensors are not reporting very accurate. 2 motions sensors lying next to each other report a difference of more than 1,3° ...

@Sjekke

FGMS temperature sensor measuring tolerance is +/- 0,5ºC

plus FGMS001 version 2.8 parameter 60 default setting 1ºC so theoretical max difference possible in readings is 2ºC between two of them

or plus FGMS001v2 version 3.2 parameter 60 default setting 2ºC so theoretical max difference possible in readings is 3ºC between two of them

It seems that difference of 1,3ºC is within expected values. You can change parameter 60 so that report is sent to controller when difference in measured temperature is 0,5ºC but then more reports will be sent what means shorter battery life so with battery powered sensors it is always compromise between battery life and measured accuracy.

If you use it in heating plan then you will set parameter 60 to smaller value to get more accuracy, but if it is just nice to have it because it is installed in motion sensor then I recommend to leave default setting and have longer battery life.