Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Fibaro Wallplug problems

alexndr

I have a couple of Fibaro wallplugs that I'm having problems with.

Symptom is: Sometimes, when I turn the plug on the will automatically turn off again. Same thing goes other way around. If i turn them off they will automatically be turned on again. This happens like 1 time out of 10. Wallplug will come out of sync with any GUI (mobile app or web gui) which will display wrong state. On when its really off and the other way around. If I keep toggling the state when this happens the plug will soon be marked as "dead node". Removing the plug from the socket and replacing it again will get it back in sync. 

All wallplugs I'm having problem with are the newer ZW5 ones. I have  handful of older plugs and never had any problems with them that I know of.  

What I have tried:

* Removed and re-added them from network several times. In secure mode and not.  

* Fibaro support suggested to replace the plug. I returned it to the store and got a new one. Might be that I just got another one from a "bad batch"? 

* Moved the plug  around in the house. Sometimes really close to the HC2. 

* Different devices connected. 

Haven't heard from Fibaro support after I replied that replacing the plug with a new one didn't help. That was over a month ago. I sent a reminder yesterday. 

Fibaro case #89048. 

/Alex

Edited by alexndr

• Topic Author
  • Support replied, asked me to try to reset the plug and If that didn't help send it to Poland for warranty process.

Same thing they replied some time ago. That I had already tried the reset and got a new one from the reseller made apparently no difference.

Will return to reseller and buy from another one to make sure it's not a bad batch problem.

Edited by alexndr

• Topic Author
  • Replaced two plugs and One of the new ones is working fine it seems! The other reports current overload no matter what I connect. Have to replace it :(. 

Am I unlucky or is the quality of the wall plugs bad in general? 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Topic Author
  • Replaced the fault plugin with new one. Everything had been working like a charm for a couple of days but yesterday when I tried to turn off one of the plugs it was instantly turned on again. Turning it off it was turned on again. Third time I turned it off it stayed off. 

Will continue correspondence with support. 

@alexndr Thanks for keeping us up-to-date. I see you got no replies from other forum members, I guess it's either something new or it is not a "bad batch". The first switch was marked "dead" so it either lost communication or it lost power. Was it "far away" from your controller? Was something special about its power supply (does it experience power cuts, for instance)? The last plug you mentioned... I'd exclude it from the network (I know that is annoying) and use it a week like that. If it still show's the same symptoms, we can eliminate the network, the controller and the scenes running on it.

• Topic Author
  • 44 minutes ago, petergebruers said:

@alexndr Thanks for keeping us up-to-date. I see you got no replies from other forum members, I guess it's either something new or it is not a "bad batch". The first switch was marked "dead" so it either lost communication or it lost power. Was it "far away" from your controller? 

Nothing special about the power supply. I moved it to be only 2-3 meters away. Same behaviour. 

45 minutes ago, petergebruers said:

The last plug you mentioned... I'd exclude it from the network (I know that is annoying) and use it a week like that. If it still show's the same symptoms, we can eliminate the network, the controller and the scenes running on it.

Exclude it and operate it manually (by clicking the button on the plug) you mean? How should I exclude it? Will disable device be enough or should I delete it? 

6 minutes ago, alexndr said:

(...)

Exclude it and operate it manually (by clicking the button on the plug) you mean? How should I exclude it? Will disable device be enough or should I delete it? 

I mean "delete" (unfortunately, ... because you'll have to change the ID in your code) and "clicking the button".

• Topic Author
  • 9 minutes ago, petergebruers said:

I mean "delete" (unfortunately, ... because you'll have to change the ID in your code) and "clicking the button".

No problem. I have done it like 100 times already for these plugs.

I'll give it a try. Thanks. 

In your first post you say it turns itself off after a few seconds. But sometimes it switches from  "off" to "on" by itself. The second observation led me to my advise "delete the plug".

But the first one makes me think "overload". Fibaro gave an answer to some possible confusion regarding the specs of the plug, in this topic (you might want to read the whole topic after this quote, and I was involved in the discussion):

On 19-4-2017 at 2:11 PM, T.Konopka said:

Hello,

Firstly, we have to divide the terms overcurrent and overload as these are two different cases.

Secondly, we strongly doubt that the issue is linked with the update as there was no change introduced regarding Wall Plugs.

The case when the device is turned off automatically is the case of an overload or an overcurrent. Note that Wall Plug is mainly dedicated for resistive load. It works with other types of loads (inductive, etc.). Even if you set the parameter 3 to 3000W it is possible that a device exceed the limitation and that's why the Wall Plug turns itself off. Wall Plug may report 2000W but depending on load characteristic (different Power Factor) current drained from the grid could be 8A (for resistive load) or much higher (with inductive or/and capacitive load). Because of that device could turn off itself with overcurrent warning even if load seems in range. Of course, you can set the parameter 3 to 0 which turns off the overload functionality.

@Ole received a warning about overcurrent:

"The device has a protection that will turn the load off in the case of detecting current greater than 110% of rated current (>12A). It is a safety function and it cannot be turned off. After its activation the load can be turned on back again by pressing the B-button or sending a control frame. This function is independent of overload safety switch set in the parameter no. 3". So, this is all about the device you use with the Wall Plug. Are you sure that the device does not malfunction?

Whereas: "Overload safety switch functionality is not an overload safety protection nor a short circuit protection. Circuit needs additional short circuit and overload protection". This safety measure has to comply with norms regulated by law. We meet the requirements and we cannot change them.

Again, our Wall Plug can turn itself off either in case of an overcurrent or overload. I hope that the quotes from the manual clarify the difference.

• Topic Author
  • I had one plug which had some kind of overload problem as well.

"Replaced two plugs and One of the new ones is working fine it seems! The other reports current overload no matter what I connect. Have to replace it :(. 

Am I unlucky or is the quality of the wall plugs bad in general? "

In that case the ring was changing color and the HC2 notification centre informed about overload. 

For the other plugs where I have problems the ring is not changing color and the notification centre says nothing. And as you say, it's turning on, turned off plugs (and the other way around but that seems to be very rare)

Edited by alexndr

• Topic Author
  • Got response Fibaro- support today. They want remote access to my HC2 to investigate. 

I'll include the plug again, try to reproduce the error and let them in. 

For the short time I had the plug excluded I could operate it with the button without any issues. 

• 3 years later...

Although this an very old topic I have the same problem. Also the ZW5 version.

Max load connected is 300W. Overload fucntion disabled or set to max load and still the plug stops working giving an overload error all the time.

To 1 i have a 3D printer connected. This stops at random points being killed by the overload detection.

• 11 months later...
    On 6/6/2021 at 1:07 PM, rdfeij said:

Although this an very old topic I have the same problem. Also the ZW5 version.

Max load connected is 300W. Overload fucntion disabled or set to max load and still the plug stops working giving an overload error all the time.

To 1 i have a 3D printer connected. This stops at random points being killed by the overload detection.

Hi, I've same issue with a wall plug and the Creality ender 3, have you found a solution ?