Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

[SOLVED]limits

muc

Question

Are there limits for the number of lines or characters

1) in a LUA scene ?

2) in LUA code for a VD's button ?

3) in a VD's label ?

or is such a storage place unlimited ?

thanks!

7 answers to this question

Hi @muc,

1. LUA scene: Yes - have not reached that one yet, but there must be a limit. At the moment my longest scene have: 5211 lines of code and 293100 characters
  2. VD LUA code: Yes - have reached it, exact number is 95610 characters, one more and it will not run! (UPDATED! 24.06.17)
  3. VD label: Yes - it is different for web GUI, iOS app and Android app and it depends on letters/numbers width, but on android is about 38 to 40 characters and after that you get three dots, know from WU weather text forecast that rarely can fit completely on label. On iPhone it shows whole text but if it is more than 40 characters long then it overlaps over the object bellow while on iPad it is aligned to the right and it shows around 50 characters the rest is replaced with ...
  4. Global variables: Yes - there is limit for global variables. I have also reached global variable limit and it is around 286634 character. Actually with this number of characters in global variable in table format it does get destroyed during reboot so limit is bellow this number. I don't know exact number since to find it I would have to change content in steps and reboot like dozen times so no thank you.
  5. e-mail body: Yes - have reached it and it is around 994 characters. Everything above that is just cut off.
  6. POPUP message body: Yes but I still didn't reach that limit. Have tested it with around 40 characters per line and get to 100 lines and still ok. So, limit is definitely above 4000 characters and 100 lines of text, so in my opinion much better way to get longer statuses than e-mail and can also have custom icon and title and buttons for starting scenes.
  7. PUSH messages: Yes - but haven't reach that limit yet. it can definitely send WU weather forecast in text format long 120 characters and can be read entirely on Apple watch and iPhone lock screen at least.
Edited by Sankotronic

I just forget to mention above limits are tested on firmware 4.120. Will also check when I finally decide to upgrade to 4.130, but I don't expect different numbers!

• Inquirer
  • Hi Sankotronic,

great thanks for your detailled description!

(since yesterday I'm back again)

VD label : I wrote there about 30 lines, maybe 300 characters; till now I only use firefox to look at it

Hi all,

Just updated exact number of characters in VD code after which will stop working! So, keep it simple, keep it short since Fibaro team put some limits to their flagship device.

17 minutes ago, Sankotronic said:

Hi all,

Just updated exact number of characters in VD code after which will stop working! So, keep it simple, keep it short since Fibaro team put some limits to their flagship device.

Thanks for updating!

Guest FredrikKarlsson
    On 2017-05-24 at 7:47 AM, Sankotronic said:

Hi @muc,

1. LUA scene: Yes - have not reached that one yet, but there must be a limit. At the moment my longest scene have: 5211 lines of code and 293100 characters
    2. VD LUA code: Yes - have reached it, exact number is 95610 characters, one more and it will not run! (UPDATED! 24.06.17)
    3. VD label: Yes - it is different for web GUI, iOS app and Android app and it depends on letters/numbers width, but on android is about 38 to 40 characters and after that you get three dots, know from WU weather text forecast that rarely can fit completely on label. On iPhone it shows whole text but if it is more than 40 characters long then it overlaps over the object bellow while on iPad it is aligned to the right and it shows around 50 characters the rest is replaced with ...
    4. Global variables: Yes - there is limit for global variables. I have also reached global variable limit and it is around 286634 character. Actually with this number of characters in global variable in table format it does get destroyed during reboot so limit is bellow this number. I don't know exact number since to find it I would have to change content in steps and reboot like dozen times so no thank you.
    5. e-mail body: Yes - have reached it and it is around 994 characters. Everything above that is just cut off.
    6. POPUP message body: Yes but I still didn't reach that limit. Have tested it with around 40 characters per line and get to 100 lines and still ok. So, limit is definitely above 4000 characters and 100 lines of text, so in my opinion much better way to get longer statuses than e-mail and can also have custom icon and title and buttons for starting scenes.
    7. PUSH messages: Yes - but haven't reach that limit yet. it can definitely send WU weather forecast in text format long 120 characters and can be read entirely on Apple watch and iPhone lock screen at least.

Great collection of information @Sankotronic!  

The only problem with it is that it was not made available within the "developer" site!

(Ping  @I.Srodka)

Figured I'd add some additional limits that I faced in case it may be of help to anyone.

The VD label value seems to have a 2387 character limit

The fibaro:debug() function similarly fails if the input string is above 2389 characters in length.  Probably other fibaro: functions have a limit around this value too.