Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Double Relay Switch Problem

Riggers

Hi

I have the FGS-222  which I use with Smartthings. I have a centre light and downlights connected to it. I have a problem whereby the Downlights sticks and stays on and neither operating a switch or using the smart things app seems to do anything. There is a constant voltage on the connection.

I have tried swapping around the Q1 and Q2 to see if it made a difference, but no, the downlights still stick on.  The downlights operated by a switch will work for a while and then randomly stick. I have also tried swapping S1 and S2 to rule out the switch and also disconnecting the switch and controlling with the app to see if it would make a difference.

I have tried eliminating the relay and just using a switch and the downlights work fine so as far as I can tell the issue is the relay. I believe it is all cabled correctly as it works for a period and then gets stuck. 

Can anyone help as I'm running out of options? I can draw out the circuit if required.

Thanks

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

I have a very similar problem using the FGS-223 double switch 2.

I'm using it with 4x12W LED downlights on 1st channel and 3xLED bulb pendant lights 2nd channel. It worked fine for a while but now the 2nd channel gets stuck on and wont turn off at all - not with controller and not using the wall switch. Tried changing the channels over and the same channel got suck on with different lights.

It's been suggested that the in-rush might be to high, but I don't understand why that would affect 2nd channel only.

6 hours ago, BradyzNZ said:

I have a very similar problem using the FGS-223 double switch 2.

I'm using it with 4x12W LED downlights on 1st channel and 3xLED bulb pendant lights 2nd channel. It worked fine for a while but now the 2nd channel gets stuck on and wont turn off at all - not with controller and not using the wall switch. Tried changing the channels over and the same channel got suck on with different lights.

It's been suggested that the in-rush might be to high, but I don't understand why that would affect 2nd channel only.

Sounds like that contact set is stuffed if you give the module a smack with a screw driver it may un weld and come good. It doesnt like the load your switching for some reason, has it switched a fault or maybe bad driver?

You  can slave a PDL 16A relay off it is the easiest fix. Ive only had one weld but it had a unrealistic load on it.

Edited by Jamie mccrostie

• 6 months later...

Same here. In the last few days the 2nd channel of my FGS-223 double switch 2 has been stuck on.

The 1st channel still works perfectly.

The 2nd channel only has 9W load to some LED stair lights which go on automatically every night.

I tried power cycle and resetting to default settings.

Maybe a known hardware issue?

Please try what @Jamie mccrostie suggested.

If you want some background plus possible solutions, I recommend this old topic (started and maintained by me)

15 minutes ago, petergebruers said:

Please try what @Jamie mccrostie suggested.

If you want some background plus possible solutions, I recommend this old topic (started and maintained by me)

Thanks Peter!

Annoyingly, that didnt come up in my search :-(

I agree and after some quick research on Mr Google I came to the same conclusion.

Be wary of small and/or cheap switch mode power supplies!

8 minutes ago, earto said:

I just had the same issue with the 2nd channel of my FGS-223 being stuck on after months of no problems switching my 9W LED stair lights.

I tried power cycling the unit and messing with settings including a re-initialise.

Finally out of desperation, a sharp tap on the back of the unit released the relay.

Initially, I didnt think the in-rush current for these LED lights would be a factor but now I'm not so sure.

There's only 3x 3W LED lights, each one has its own small driver.

After some research, it appears that smaller/cheaper drivers (switched mode power supplies) lack the inrush protection of higher quality drivers.

One article suggests that the inrush current of smaller drivers is typically 40-70A for 1-2 ms (at the worst time/highest point in the phase)!

Yep, that would do it!

Please login or register to see this link.

Time 5 milliseconds/division. Peak inrush is just more than 50amps for around 1.5milliseconds.
Blue - mains 100V/division:
Peak Yellow - input current 20amps/division

My LED stair lights were already in our house and look like first generation LED lights.

I could make a circuit to limit inrush current but I'll probably just replace them with better units.

In conclusion, be wary of cheap/small drivers for LED lights - especially multiple in the same circuit.

Please login or register to see this link.