Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Please add support for Aeotec ZW095 (Gen 5 HEM)

AutoFrank

@AutoFrank,

I already sent a template and json output to them cca 14 days ago. I was unable to set parameters and device appear as not configured to me (have HEM3 gen5).

@M.Baranowski, It is not working corectly. Case number #88667.

Edited by jakub.jezek

• Topic Author
  • 8 minutes ago, Jamie mccrostie said:

@AutoFrankHave you got it working correctly yet?

Not 100% yet. @Jamie mccrostie

I need to still work with the parameters but I ran out of time yesterday

I replaced the clamps and am reasonably sure that the positioning makes no difference but I am definitely seeing some add behaviour on the main feed into the house

All works well on a 1.5 mm2 wire to a bulb

Good results on a 2.5 mm2 wire from my PV Panels

.. but results seem different on the main feed in which look like 4 or 6 mm2

The request for a template is merely a formality

Latest at 

1 minute ago, jakub.jezek said:

I was unable to set parameters and device appear as not configured to me (have HEM3 gen5).

@jakub.jezek

I can set the parameters okay and have been working with parameter 2 which seem to work okay

I did have an issue including the device (had to try and few times and reconfigure ) but got there in the end

_f

6 minutes ago, AutoFrank said:

Not 100% yet. @Jamie mccrostie

I need to still work with the parameters but I ran out of time yesterday

I replaced the clamps and am reasonably sure that the positioning makes no difference but I am definitely seeing some add behaviour on the main feed into the house

All works well on a 1.5 mm2 wire to a bulb

Good results on a 2.5 mm2 wire from my PV Panels

.. but results seem different on the main feed in which look like 4 or 6 mm2

The request for a template is merely a formality

Latest at 

Those clamps or current transformers are used enerywhere from clip on amp meters  to  100amp plus metering for power companys it  wont be them it will be the settings

Testing with a known load ls the best way forward, proving the different components as you are doing.

Edited by Jamie mccrostie

@AutoFrank,

Parameters 101 - 103 does not work. I wanted to adjust parameters to send data about conumption in one big frame, instead of in 3 frames (worked this way for old ones) but that adjust does not work.

Also it does not send back values about consumtion, when load is changed. Currently using 75W bulbs for testing and nothing. Should change if chage is bigger than 50W by default.

And "lifetime" association group is set for Home Center.

Edited by jakub.jezek

• Topic Author
  • Just now, Jamie mccrostie said:

100amp plus metering for power companys it  wont be them it will be the settings

Thanks , thats good news .....@Jamie mccrostie

I just though of something - the HEM i purchased are the 60 Amp ones, the main trip into my house is 63 Amps

I'm never drawing that much so I assume its not that much of an issue ?

Would you think having two clamps so close would be an issue ?

I'm short of space as you can see from the images

Just now, AutoFrank said:

Thanks , thats good news .....@Jamie mccrostie

I just though of something - the HEM i purchased are the 60 Amp ones, the main trip into my house is 63 Amps

I'm never drawing that much so I assume its not that much of an issue ?

Would you think having two clamps so close would be an issue ?

I'm short of space as you can see from the images

Wont be a problem

No the 2 clamps close wont be it

• Topic Author
  • 1 minute ago, Jamie mccrostie said:

No the 2 clamps close wont be it

Thanks @Jamie mccrostie

2 minutes ago, jakub.jezek said:

I wanted to adjust parameters to send data about conumption in one big frame

@jakub.jezek

I don't understand the whole reporting thing (report 1, report 2, etc) and maybe I have it wrong

Please login or register to see this attachment.

I have been looking to adjust this and just put parameter 2 configured as follows

I couldn't figure out the link between the parameter 2 above and the reference to 101 ~ 103 in the document

• Topic Author
  • Just now, Jamie mccrostie said:

If you set params of both the clamps beside each other to the same are the watts the same?

@Jamie mccrostie

I'll be taking another look later when I get back form work but it may not be that easy as one clamp is a Gen 2 and the other is a Gen 5.

I could rearrange and put the Gen 2 on my PV panels and use the two Gen 5 devices on the utility panel

@AutoFrank,

Maybe i'm wrong but parameter 2 looks like it has something to do with reverse energy flow (generating electricity) and what will be reported in report groups (report group settings are params 101, 102, 103).

Params 101,102 and 103 below:

I'm sorry guys, but in 2014 the utility company installed a "Smart Meter". In Flanders, that means a "Digital Power Meter" with a digital interface, connected to a raspberry-pi-like device (might as well be a Pi!) and that interfaces to a "powerline industrial version" (to transmit data to the company) - a GSM GPRS (backup, to transmit data to the company) and some sort of port (ethernet, serial, proprietary?). So I can log in to a web site and get some data. I do that once/year to see if they made any progress. And in the year 2034 or 2035 they will allow is to interface directly with the meter. BTW I have a 3-phase power system, not the more common 1-phase.

Net result of a smart meter? You pay more, because old meters didn't register small currents very well.

That aside...

• Current clamps are very robust, they can handle peak current (several times normal operating current). But operating them beyond specification reduces accuracy and the effect can be quite dramatic. Operating them outside spec for a longer time can damage the shunt, that's not a good idea. So I'd say your 60 A clamp matches your 63 A main breaker. It's OK. Also, overrating them reduces accuracy (e.g. using a 200 A clamp while you only expect to measure 20 A).
    • Please make sure only ONE wire goes through the transformer. If more than one wire goes through the transformer, it measures the mathematical sum of the currents (with a sign). If you put a clamp on a 2-wire cable, e.g. going to a lamp, the current through the wires will be equal but will flow in opposite direction, for example + 0.2 A and -0.2 A. So the sum is zero.
    • The schematic diagrams on the AEON website seem accurate to me. The diagram has to match the number of wires coming from the grid, entering your main circuit breaker (2 wires for 1-phase or 2-phase systems, 3 for 3-phase without neutral aka 3x230 or 4 wires aka 3x400 with neutral). I guess the device is able to measure negative power (depending on the parameters) when your solar panels inject power into the grid. The direction of the arrows on the clamp, and the position of the sensing wires have to match the diagrams exactly.

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, jakub.jezek said:

parameter 2 looks like it has something to do with reverse energy flow (generating electricity)

@jakub.jezek

that's what I though as well and what I was working towards.... so I'm okay there 

1 hour ago, jakub.jezek said:

what will be reported in report groups (report group settings are params 101, 102, 103).

@jakub.jezek

This is the part I don't understand

I use the data/information in two ways

At the moment I'm just looking at what is being reported on the device in the Web UI

Later I'll report and manipulate it using lua in a scene or in lua

Which of these are impacted the setting of the report group parameters ?

16 minutes ago, petergebruers said:

So I'd say your 60 A clamp matches your 63 A main breaker

Thanks @petergebruers

Looks like the HEM device rating is matching my feed okay

Please make sure only ONE wire goes through the transformer.

My experiments were okay as I only 'clamped' the live wire in my small bulb test 

The diagram has to match the number of wires coming from the grid, entering your main circuit breaker

I have a standard single phase domestic supply here in Ireland so it's two wires (L & N)  and I had clamped just the Live cable

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2017_05/592d39f26f90f_image1.PNG.2db3ceb12cb86eda7431c39268976ff2.PNG" alt="592d39f26f90f_image1.PNG.2db3ceb12cb86eda7431c39268976ff2.PNG" />

Edited by AutoFrank

56 minutes ago, jakub.jezek said:

@AutoFrank,

Maybe i'm wrong but parameter 2 looks like it has something to do with reverse energy flow (generating electricity) and what will be reported in report groups (report group settings are params 101, 102, 103).

Params 101,102 and 103 below:

I don't thinks that's what parameter 2 is supposed to do. The manual is in Chinglish and I thing this is open to discussion ;-)

Please login or register to see this link.

A quote: "The bad news is that the energy meter does not distinguish the direction of the current flowing, it's just adding the negative sign in all instances. Handy if you connected your power meter clamp incorrect and you don't want to re-open your power box. For me it wasn't the solotion I was looking for."

So it might just change the sign...

Another quote: "i bought a HEM-G2 and it works correctly. Report the true power consumption and negative value works correctly!"

One user got it working, one not. The one that got it working, didn't have to adjust any settings. The other user couldn't make it work, by changing settings...

I guess the devices works correctly, if you follow the instructions 100% and use the correct HEM model and correct number of clamps...

• Topic Author
  • 12 minutes ago, petergebruers said:

I guess the device is able to measure negative power (depending on the parameters) when your solar panels inject power into the grid

I think I have sort of proven this 

If I set parameter 2 to 3 the watts goes to zero but the volts and amps seem accurate and I can calculate the watts from there 

This at least works for my bulb test where I mimic the the flow going backwards

3 minutes ago, petergebruers said:

I don't thinks that's what parameter 2 is supposed to do. The manual is in Chinglish and I thing this is open to discussion ;-)

Please login or register to see this link.

A quote: "The bad news is that the energy meter does not distinguish the direction of the current flowing, it's just adding the negative sign in all instances. Handy if you connected your power meter clamp incorrect and you don't want to re-open your power box. For me it wasn't the solotion I was looking for."

So it might just change the sign...

Another quote: "i bought a HEM-G2 and it works correctly. Report the true power consumption and negative value works correctly!"

One user got it working, one not. The one that got it working, didn't have to adjust any settings. The other user couldn't make it work, by changing settings...

I guess the devices works correctly, if you follow the instructions 100% and use the correct HEM model and correct number of clamps...

Thanks @petergebruers

its definitely confusing and translations don't help

Gen 2 - parameter 2

Gen 5 - parameter 2

My small scale experiment seems to suggest that for a Gen 5 device , parameter 2 set to 3 give some indication of reverse flow

The watts reading is zero but volts and amps seem accurate ( 240v x 0.08A) for a 20 watt halogen (that is reading ~22watts in reality) 

but I can't seem to replicate that with the clamp in my consumer unit around the Live cable....

I need to do some more measurements this evening ...

2 minutes ago, AutoFrank said:

I think I have sort of proven this 

If I set parameter 2 to 3 the watts goes to zero but the volts and amps seem accurate and I can calculate the watts from there 

This at least works for my bulb test where I mimic the the flow going backwards

OK, I'm looking at a different device, a different manual, a different firmware revision of your device. Your explanation of P2 makes more sense.

Let me double check.

Yes, I thought this was about the "Aeon Labs Home Energy Meter(2nd Edition)" but your topic title is clearly stating "Aeotec ZW095 (Gen 5 HEM)".

I'm sorry for the confusion. The older model has this explanation for parameter 2: "If the reverse clamping pliers, negative power is detected. (0==disable,1==enable)". OK!

In my best Chinglish: "When the wrong model download manual and confusion following - apply apologies for topic starter to waste time (0==sorry disabled,1== sorry enable)". Set that parameter to 1 ;-)

15 minutes ago, petergebruers said:

I'm sorry guys, but in 2014 the utility company installed a "Smart Meter". In Flanders, that means a "Digital Power Meter" with a digital interface, connected to a raspberry-pi-like device (might as well be a Pi!) and that interfaces to a "powerline industrial version" (to transmit data to the company) - a GSM GPRS (backup, to transmit data to the company) and some sort of port (ethernet, serial, proprietary?). So I can log in to a web site and get some data. I do that once/year to see if they made any progress. And in the year 2034 or 2035 they will allow is to interface directly with the meter. BTW I have a 3-phase pow

Following deregulation of our power industries most  meters here where I live are smart meters, saves them a fortune in meter reading. They run on the cell phone network Im guessing.

The big plus is the user data mapping peak usage etc . 

Recently the courts decided the data belonged to the customer so now power brokers are big business being able to match and group users to different supply company 

offerings. You could change supply companys weekly if you really wanted to.

• Topic Author
  • 1 minute ago, petergebruers said:

OK, I'm looking at a different device, a different manual, a different firmware revision of your device. Your explanation of P2 makes more sense.

Let me double check.

Yes, I thought this was about the "Aeon Labs Home Energy Meter(2nd Edition)" but your topic title is clearly stating "Aeotec ZW095 (Gen 5 HEM)".

I'm sorry for the confusion. The older model has this explanation for parameter 2: "If the reverse clamping pliers, negative power is detected. (0==disable,1==enable)". OK!

In my best Chinglish: "When the wrong model download manual and confusion following - apply apologies for topic starter to waste time (0==sorry disabled,1== sorry enable)". Set that parameter to 1 ;-)

....chinglish LOL @petergebruers:-)

No worries - we were cross talking (pun intended :-) ) about both models and discussions are all good .......... IMHO