Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Feature Request - Meter Level Energy Monitor

Hi,

I've a request for a simple additive feature, and I know you've been improving energy monitoring recently, so seems a good time to ask.

Feature:

Designated "whole house" energy monitoring device.

Description:

One of the energy monitoring devices can be selected to represent energy monitoring at a supply level. The energy monitoring data is treated separately as the "grand total". All other energy monitoring is a percentage of this.

Energy monitoring from this device is not added to the total from other energy monitoring devices. e.g. at the moment the AEON Labs meter level energy monitoring is added to the total of each discrete device - meaning energy usage is double counted.

Other possible enhancements would include the ability to track a self-generation meter separately.

Keep up the good work.

• 2 months later...

Hello, I'll like to take it a step further to allow for a house that has more then 1 phase coming in and also solar pv generation.
I would like to create house hold master energy device and assign a channel. Then every other device can be assigned either which master energy device is being used or a phase so the consumption is correct.. I then have 1 phase which has pv generation on.. Be all very straight forward to include imo.

• 2 weeks later...

+1 from me, with some more details below.

I now own a dedicated NorthQ power meter. It is a great (and quite cheap!) little device that is installed on top of an existing home power meter and which reads the wheel or a diode (depending on the meter type). This allows 100% synchronization of the reading with what I pay the utility company. It also works very well with Fibaro... to an extent.

Unfortunately Fibaro does not allow incorporation of the total power into the energy panel (as stated in the original post in this thread). We need it!

There is also a second huge problem with this particular device.

It does not report the power consumption in the same way as other real-time devices do, but reports the cumulative power consumption every 15 minutes (which is very OK IMO).

So - I get eg. 1000.00 kWh, then 15 minutes later - 1000.21 kHw etc.

Because of the way Fibaro power panel works, these readings are useless there and cannot be visualized.

The way people (myself included) deal with this problem now is using a special virtual device (e.g. created by jompa68).

But this requires some advanced programming and general IT knowledge and is definitively not a solution for everyone.) 

I would be very happy if the great Fibaro team could take into account this case when updating the power panel.

I believe that this kinds of meters will grow in popularity (especially with their low price already) and frankly I do not believe there is any other way to control the real total power consumption of the house than using a cumulative power meter - with an exception of smart houses built from the ground up, all other z-wave installations will have power monitoring limited to a subset of power-hungry devices anyway (I have probably 100-200 various electrical appliances in my small house and I do not see transferring them all to z-wave anytime soon due to the equipment and labor costs and logistics).