Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Testing smoke detector associations

3JL

Question

Hi all,

I have updated my Fibaro smoke detectors with some associations. But when pressing the button for ~10 seconds they are not activated. Is this correct? And if so, is there a way to test the associations (other than setting the place on fire)?

Thanks, J

Edited by 3JL

16 answers to this question

@3JL,

I test smoke detectors by auto test (b-button hold) or i use smoke detector testing spray. Something like that:

Please login or register to see this link.

For associations i think testing spray will do the job.

• Inquirer
  • 41 minutes ago, jakub.jezek said:

I test smoke detectors by auto test (b-button hold)

Thanks @jakub.jezek

Should holding the button trigger the associations? Because it does not seem to do that in my case..

@3JL,I can test some things when i get to my Fibaro models. But i can get to them tomorow first (Rush in office).

Also, are devices added to associations in direct radio range? Associations should work only in direct radio range (atleast ones with old Z-Wave chip).

• Inquirer
  • That would be great @jakub.jezek!

FYI: at least some of the associations are in direct radio range (I am not sure how to check whether all are).

@3JL, for test purporse i used Smoke sensor FGSD-002. To make it work you need to set parameter 2 (i set it to value 3) and maybe parameter 13 (i set it to value 3). If you are making associations with non Z-Wave plus devices, use associations group 4 (smoke) and 5 (tamper). If you are making associations with Z-Wave plus devices, use associations group 2 (smoke) and 3 (tamper).

Also i set parameter 14 to 0 for non-secure connection with Associated devices. I think it is just necessary for associations groups 4 and 5.

• Inquirer
  • Hi @jakub.jezek, I followed your instructions. I associated dimmer modules that have parameter 42 set to 3 (response to smoke alarm -> load blinking).

- Should those be added as single-parameter association or multiparameter association?

- You have tested this by pushing the B-button > 8 seconds right?

The smoke detection nicely shows up in my Fibaro interface. But no load blinking for the associated modules I am afraid...

Any clue what is going wrong?

J

Hi @3JL,

I have tested single channel association (S column).

Yes, i have tested it with B-Button. Also i looked into my settings and i forgot to mention, that i set param 13 to value 3.

Edited by jakub.jezek

• Inquirer
  • Hi @jakub.jezek,

It does not seem to work with me... And I found a possible issue: when selecting devices for associations, the mentioned IDs do not correspond to actual device IDs. Could this be the issue? And if so, what would be the way to resolve this? (Or do associations use different references?)

J

If you making associations with Z-Wave Plus devices, then use groups 2 and 3 (depend on Fire or Tamper). If you make assocations with non-Z-Wave plus devicees, use groups 4 and 5.

What types of associations do you using?

Can you please post here version of your smoke detector and devices, that you want to get associate with smoke detector?

• Inquirer
  • Hi @jakub.jezek, sure:

I tried both groups 2 and 4 with both single and multi-channel associations. See also screenshot below. Essentially I selected device 72 for association, but it says 17...

Version of dimmer: com.fibaro.FGD212 / 3.5

Version of smoke detector: FGSD-0023.3

Thanks for your time and help!

Screenshot of association settings in smoke detector.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

That ID 17 is ok. It is ID in Z-Wave ID i think. I see you do not have it associated, because Current (on device) do not show that ID 17. Did you woke up your smoke detector after association setting and param seting?

• Inquirer
  • @jakub.jezek . Yes, indeed. Did that. Was in the middle of trying a clean configuration again. Did not work...

Edited by 3JL

@3JL, ok then. What if you you set parameter 14 to 0? It is with sending command frames secured. Value 0 makes frame unsecured.

I will re-make my working sollution tomorow and i will post you mine working settings. Too loud testing during bussiness hours ;).

@3JL, tested mine setings and i get it work on the 1st time. I tested it with wall plug (do not have Dimmer 2 with me). I used associations group 4.

I have this settings for smoke sensor:

• Parameter 2 set to value 3 -> For some reason it did not worked without this one
    • Parameter 13 set to value 3 -> Associations should not be needed :D
    • Parameter 14 set to value 0
    • Other parameter in default

Wall plug settings:

In default

FGSD-002 sensor sends broadcast frames or frames to associated devices ONLY in case of smoke and NOT when a button was held down for testing (even if you see the fire in the interface).

I had half a day wasted today to make sure.

Edited by cashe

• Inquirer
  • Thanks @cashe! That clarifies things a lot :)