Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Which UPS do you use ?

AutoFrank

Question

Hi,

I am looking to purchase a UPS to make sure my critical devices (HC2, NAS, Pi, etc) are powered down gracefully in the event of a power disruption.

I was wondering what people use and how it is setup and if it is suiting your needs

any input appreciated 

Thanks

_f

How many power interruptions per year do you have?

What are you protecting against (I have some ideas but I'd like to hear it from you first...). Does the UPS offer that kind of protection?

What do you expect those devices on UPS to do when all other devices are down?

How reliable is a UPS?

What is the life span of the batteries?

What is the run time of the batteries?

If you know the answers, you know what to buy.

Bonus questions:  what kind of UPS do I use? And why?

• Inquirer
  • 1 minute ago, petergebruers said:

All good questions... @petergebruers

very little apart from those caused by me :-)

2 minutes ago, petergebruers said:

I just want them to power down gracefully 

2 minutes ago, petergebruers said:

How reliable is a UPS?

No idea :-)

3 minutes ago, petergebruers said:

I would say 'none' 

If it's OK, I'll wait a bit for other members to join the discussion and then I'll play "the devil's advocate" role :-)

Indeed, I don't use an UPS, but I own 2 for fun. I installed, many, many UPS systems... I know a few good stories...

An UPS for graceful shutdown. Good! So, a fuse in your street melts. The utility company has to find the fault, then replace the fuse. How would the UPS "facilitate" a clean shutdown?

More questions. How much noise does a UPS make? How much power does it use and what do you consider acceptable?

I use APC Back-UPS ES 700 (www.apc.com). Protects Computer, Screen, printer, Raspberry and HC2. (Can shut down my computer, but not connected, yet)

I forgot that my ISDN-router also is connected.

I bought the UPS after that the thunder (lightning) took my fifth modem.

Edited by RH_Dreambox

we recommend our customers always APC Smart UPS 750-1500 for router, switch (even PoE), HC2, NAS Server, GPS modems, and all the other things they can connect to it (e.g. Doorbell and iPads on the walls). All depends of course on budget.

Regards power down detection one can use Nodon smart plug (the big one) or GPS module (Proxima DIALER 300D ARC, with battery backup), where nodon can send directly via z-wave and gps module over i/o port to any spare UBS/Relais. I prefer that gps modem, as it can be used for alarm notification as well, especially when one think about burglar that was smart enough to drive dead dsl dispatcher point on the street 1-2 days before "action time" ^^. Thankfully with z-wave plus door/window sensors one can protect more than ground floor.

I have 2 UPS of APC brand, but i/m not using any currently.

@petergebruers, just to give you an idea about powerfailure here; we have apporximately 1 power interruption per 10 years...

Edited by Bodyart

• Inquirer
  • 3 hours ago, tinman said:

we recommend our customers always APC Smart UPS 750-1500 for router, switch (even PoE), HC2, NAS Server, GPS modems, and all the other things they can connect to it (e.g. Doorbell and iPads on the walls). All depends of course on budget.

Regards power down detection one can use Nodon smart plug (the big one) or GPS module (Proxima DIALER 300D ARC, with battery backup), where nodon can send directly via z-wave and gps module over i/o port to any spare UBS/Relais. I prefer that gps modem, as it can be used for alarm notification as well, especially when one think about burglar that was smart enough to drive dead dsl dispatcher point on the street 1-2 days before "action time" ^^. Thankfully with z-wave plus door/window sensors one can protect more than ground floor.

Thanks @tinman

2 hours ago, Bodyart said:

I have 2 UPS of APC brand, but i/m not using any currently.

How come @Bodyart

3 hours ago, RH_Dreambox said:

I use APC Back-UPS ES 700 (www.apc.com). Protects Computer, Screen, printer, Raspberry and HC2. (Can shut down my computer, but not connected, yet)

I forgot that my ISDN-router also is connected.

I bought the UPS after that the thunder (lightning) took my fifth modem.

Thanks @RH_Dreambox

This looks like it may suit my needs and budget :-)

Do you power down the devices when a power interruption happens or how is it used within your setup...

54 minutes ago, AutoFrank said:

How come @Bodyart

Hi @AutoFrank,

I had an opportunity to buy them cheap one is only 500W and the second 3000. I bought them for the case "IF" ...

I'm planning to apply the big one for my NASses, router and HC2, but lazy as i am :-D

4 hours ago, petergebruers said:

What are you protecting against (I have some ideas but I'd like to hear it from you first...). Does the UPS offer that kind of protection?

How reliable is a UPS?

Ive got 2 they dont last very long maybe 2 years before batterys die.

We loose power often wind or snow. I use them as a layer of protection between my old school back up generator and my electronics.

I thought today could be one of those days but there has been wind to keep the snow fron building up in the trees 

Im curious to hear the rest of you story @petergebruers

@AutoFrank arrrrr yes I remember summer

Please login or register to see this attachment.

15 hours ago, petergebruers said:

How reliable is a UPS?

Just to chip in on another question which often missed out but has a significant impact on lifespan of UPS (or its components such as batteries).

• What is the temperature range (lowest and peak) of the environment the UPS will be residing in?

@AutoFrank

I had been using APC Smart UPS - various capacities from 1000VA to 3000VA over the last one and half decade, until I shifted to new place 2 years ago.

At the old place, power trips grew frequent as the place aged. It was almost every heavy thunderstorm, there is a high tendency that power trip happens. Besides that, power surges and fluctuations are pretty norm at the old place too. Hence the UPSes I had served more than one purpose - power redundancy for power trips to allow proper shutdown of equipment, and power conditioning for protection against those surges/fluctuations. Prior to having UPS, I had equipment whose power supply blown either by the power trips or surges (e.g. IP Cams and reputable PSU of DIY'ed workstations/servers).

One core lesson learn is the lifespan is greatly influenced/affected by the operating temperature the UPS is in. If the environment cannot stay consistently below 25 degree C (not too cold too) and minimal fluctuations, the lifespan is significantly shortened, esp the batteries will go first and then the charging mechanism/circuit of the UPS (meaning UPS is no longer able to charge the batteries even replace with new ones). These rack-mounted UPS generally has a lifecycle of 5 years with its batteries around 2-3 years. The higher the temperature, the shorter the lifespan. I believe APC (now bought over by Schneider) has charts to show the relation between temperature and lifespan.

Edited by chaicka

• Inquirer
  • 46 minutes ago, chaicka said:

Just to chip in on another question which often missed out but has a significant impact on lifespan of UPS (or its components such as batteries).

• What is the temperature range (lowest and peak) of the environment the UPS will be residing in?

@AutoFrank

I had been using APC Smart UPS - various capacities from 1000VA to 3000VA over the last one and half decade, until I shifted to new place 2 years ago.

At the old place, power trips grew frequent as the place aged. It was almost every heavy thunderstorm, there is a high tendency that power trip happens. Besides that, power surges and fluctuations are pretty norm at the old place too. Hence the UPSes I had served more than one purpose - power redundancy for power trips to allow proper shutdown of equipment, and power conditioning for protection against those surges/fluctuations. Prior to having UPS, I had equipment whose power supply blown either by the power trips or surges (e.g. IP Cams and reputable PSU of DIY'ed workstations/servers).

One core lesson learn is the lifespan is greatly influenced/affected by the operating temperature the UPS is in. If the environment cannot stay consistently below 25 degree C (not too cold too) and minimal fluctuations, the lifespan is significantly shortened, esp the batteries will go first and then the charging mechanism/circuit of the UPS (meaning UPS is no longer able to charge the batteries even replace with new ones). These rack-mounted UPS generally has a lifecycle of 5 years with its batteries around 2-3 years. The higher the temperature, the shorter the lifespan. I believe APC (now bought over by Schneider) has charts to show the relation between temperature and lifespan.

Thanks @chaicka, I hadn't considered the environmental considerations..

I was thinking about mounting it my rack but that has a tendency to run warm so I would have to rethink if I decide to go ahead and get one

_f

I am using a small APC as well and have the synology NAS behind the UPS. If HCL works, I can power up and power down the UPS, and have the NAS configured for autostart in case of a power loss. with the UPS I can also switch off the NAS from remote by 'intentional' power off and the UPS 'tells' the NAS to power down. This is my main application as we are also not facing any real 'unknown or unanounced' power outages.

Mine is apart from the beeping when powered off totally silence and I have it all hidden away in the 'server' room, so noice is not really of an issue. My battery is now 5 years old and still in good condition.

So far once the UPS really protected the NAS.

• Inquirer
  • 1 hour ago, kunoch said:

I am using a small APC as well and have the synology NAS behind the UPS. If HCL works, I can power up and power down the UPS, and have the NAS configured for autostart in case of a power loss. with the UPS I can also switch off the NAS from remote by 'intentional' power off and the UPS 'tells' the NAS to power down. This is my main application as we are also not facing any real 'unknown or unanounced' power outages.

Mine is apart from the beeping when powered off totally silence and I have it all hidden away in the 'server' room, so noice is not really of an issue. My battery is now 5 years old and still in good condition.

So far once the UPS really protected the NAS.

Thanks @kunoch

Could you ask what model you have and how you power up and down the UPS from the HCL

Also do you have a way of powering down the HCL when during power loss

@AutoFrankI do have this one: APC BK500EI (most problably the 'older' model sold around 5 years ago)

The graceful shutdown is only applid for the NAS (Synology DS413/6) thru the UPS, where I use an Aeotec GEN5 (ZW075 v2) wall plug, so the UPS is connected to the mains thru the Aeotec, which is controlled from the HCL, thru scenes (z-wave wall switch). The UPS is then communicating with the NAS and telling it about the power loss, so the NAS starts its shutdown procedure and when done tells the UPS to power down completely. When the power is restored, the NAS is configured to auto power up (autostart).

The HCL, I brute force power down using a dect wall outlet switch together with a fritz box, as I have to restart the HCL daily due to the known crashes. So, no craceful shutdown for the HCL. It is also not connected to the UPS, only a bunch of protection filters.

Check compatibility on the Synology homepage when selecting the UPS. on APC homepage you can calculate the 'rough' size of the needed UPS. mine is by far too big for the NAS only (55W peak)

I hope this answers your questions.

Edited by kunoch

im using the 

Please login or register to see this link.

.  its one step below the 1000VA and its running great with any issues. none of the things i have plugged in even come close to maxing out the Watt limits..   im not using the power down software  because here in italy, the power outages usually are centralized via buildings and are usually back up with in minutes... 

it has six C13 plugs. i use adapters to power each one. 

1.    Ha-bridge 1.2W - HUE hub - Fibaro HC2 1.2W 

2.    Mac mini 6W

3.    linksys EA8500 Router 13w

4.    Linksys X3500Modem 5w

5.    OBi Connect Voip 10w

6.    Linksys LGS24 Switch 14.16w - POE bridge 6w

Total watts= 56.56

Edited by matt1981

I also use a APC Back-UPS ES 700 for hc2, router, modem and a raspberry pi.

With this load the ups can run about 30 min in case of power outage.

It also have a port where its current state can be monitored. I use a rpi to monitor the ups and send notifications of state changes.

Hi @AutoFrank

If you are a windows guy, the UPS probably don't matter from a driver perspective as most UPS drivers support windows. If you want to be flexible (like me) I suggest you buy an USP that is supported by Network UPS Tool (NUT) or any other great open source software running on all platforms. I use an " Back-UPS RS 1500 LCD", but there are of course many good options. When I change battery I order directly from APC at no deliver charge and at a price that is not much higher than buying no name batteries from eBay.

I would not recommend 19" UPS versions, even though I use a rack myself. The batteries for those UPSes are more expensive when it is time to change. But maybe you do not care...

If you want to protect against thunder storms, UPSes are *abuse* and will often destroy other equipment in your house due to the fact they shorten to PE to protect the UPS connected equipment and therefor increase the load of all other stuff in your house. For good house protection you should use something like this... "JOSLYN, AC Surge Protector, Surgitron III 1457-21" or similar mounted where the power enters your house, which will cost you around 150 USD. This will shorten over voltage and current OUTSIDE your house and will not put load on your PE in the house and destroy other equipment in case of a lightning near your house. Talk to the experts in this area at your insurance company and you will see... 

Peo

Edited by T.Konopka
    I see what you did there ;)

I see here many interesting questions. I don't have answers for all of them, but at my place we have at least one power disruption per month and with bad weather and thunderstorms even more. I have one 900VA UPS and battery can give juice for about 50 minutes for internet router, HC2, HUE bridge, digital clock, TV, set top box, 16 port switch, Foscam DVR and some other devices. I have made sensor to sense power loss and have scene that will send notifications when power is lost or come back, and will also gracefully turn off HC2 after 40 minutes if in that time power is not back.

This UPS is a bit noisy when working on battery plus it beeps every ten seconds when it is on batteries so can be annoying. I didn't plan to buy that one, but in Croatia sometimes there is no too much choices. 

2 hours ago, Sankotronic said:

I see here many interesting questions. I don't have answers for all of them, but at my place we have at least one power disruption per month and with bad weather and thunderstorms even more. I have one 900VA UPS and battery can give juice for about 50 minutes for internet router, HC2, HUE bridge, digital clock, TV, set top box, 16 port switch, Foscam DVR and some other devices. I have made sensor to sense power loss and have scene that will send notifications when power is lost or come back, and will also gracefully turn off HC2 after 40 minutes if in that time power is not back.

This UPS is a bit noisy when working on battery plus it beeps every ten seconds when it is on batteries so can be annoying. I didn't plan to buy that one, but in Croatia sometimes there is no too much choices. 

APC Smart-UPS range with its NMC/NMC2 card has a lot more capabilities, including the ability to configure not to beep too long after it swing to battery-mode. ;)

I didn't mention in earlier post. Those APC Smart-UPS I used to have all ran with NMC and perhaps the earliest taste of 'automation' I had at home - automatically start shutting down my lab servers (win and linux), desktop, NAS, etc whenever there is power outage and protect the data and systems I have.

Edited by chaicka