Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Fibaro CO sensor- my small review

jakub.jezek

Well guys it looks ofiicial.

Please login or register to see this link.

Great small life saving device to rooms with solid fuel boilers and fireplaces. Also good to garage. No other gasses won't affect it, becouse of very good CO detector in a device. And it has Temperature sensor inside. Sense only CO. Description of alarm at the back of the cover.

It is Z-Wave Plus device and radio range, with my tested unit is great (Across my house).

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Pros:

• Small
  • Siren - Neigbors came out to see what happened
  • Desing - like smoke sensor.
  • Solid plastic case - blown by car exhaust from a brick and did not broke it (that is how i actually tested mine)
  • Great alarm reporting - immediately response across my whole house without retlansation
  • Associations - tested with 2 wall plugs and works great

Cons:

• Missing terminals for hard wires - i really miss this for connection to EZS (Paradox, DSC, Jablotron, ...)

Some screenshots:

GUI from HC home page

Screenshot is in CZ so some legend here:

Co detektor = CO detector (sensor)

Teploměr = temperature sensor

Nikdy nenarušeno = Never breached

Poplach nikdy nedetekován = Alarm never detected

GUI of it in settings.

And when this nice device will be available? I checked several of my online shops and Fibaro CO sensor is not possible to buy there yet.

• Topic Author
  • 3 minutes ago, Sankotronic said:

And when this nice device will be available? I checked several of my online shops and Fibaro CO sensor is not possible to buy there yet.

Release day is today, so i would give them a week.

We also do not have it listed yet. We expect package containing them, so we can list them.

The one i tested is a beta sample.

Edited by jakub.jezek

YES!!!

finally... what took you guys so long ;).

Is there also a advice in the manual where to place the sensor because its detection is different than a smoke sensor and very important to know!

Already seen it in

foor 100€ but not yet in stock.

Edited by Bodyart

Is it possible to have some typical/common use-case where the CO Sensor would make sense to deploy?

Some questions I have:

• Does placement of CO Sensor in Kitchen where there is gas stove and semi-enclosed area make sense?
    • Does placement of CO Sensor near to Gas Water Heater which is near bathroom but in open ventilated area make sense?
    • Does placement of CO Sensor in Laundry/Linen Room where there is gas water heater and semi-enclosed area make sense?
    • What is the correct position/placement of CO Sensor? Same as Smoke Sensor on the ceiling/false ceiling?

Genuinely keen to gain better knowledge. There were occasions in the last two years at new house that I felt a little giddy while cooking with sliding door closed and the only small window open very very slightly (as wind too strong and keeps blowing at the flames of gas stove).

I guess the video answered some of the questions I have. Still, there is no guidance on correct/proper placement. Video briefly shows placement at about human height level instead of at the ceiling. So, any expertise to share where to correctly place the CO Sensor?

I am quite certain I am getting at least two of them for the two scenarios I have - (1) kitchen and (2) gas water heater.

Edited by chaicka

Yes, CO sensor should be in height human head, because gas is heavy and keep close to the floor.
    If you install CO sensor at the ceiling then it is useless sensor. You probably die, before sensor senses CO gases.

Does placement of CO Sensor in Laundry/Linen Room where there is gas water heater and semi-enc

In past year we had some accidents, where bathroom ventilation was blocked and gas water heater was not in working order... some children died at  CO poisoning. Sad stories, because thei were small children and human cannot feel CO in their living rooms.

After those accidents with gas water boilers,  Law obliges owners have to install CO sensors In their premises.

Edited by Tundel

I checked on internet and found on several places that it is recommended to place CO detectors in bedrooms since we are most vulnerable on CO poisoning during sleep. But of course the best solution is to place them in all rooms same as smoke detectors. Also most recommendations are to place it on the wall at some distance from the ceiling or even at the height same as are our heads are when we lay in bed, or knee height, or at least chest height if there is possibility that children can tamper with them. Carbon monoxide specific gravity is just little bit less than air so it mixes with air and can slowly float up to the ceiling but it can happen that it never reaches ceiling and sensor on the ceiling due to heated air!

Places to avoid placing CO sensors are bathrooms, behind curtains or any other obstacles, near windows, direct sunlight or near sources that generate heat.

3 hours ago, Sankotronic said:

most distributors got them yesterday/today, so if they have store (like we do), you can order immediately, all other stores have to wait 1-2 days to get them from distributors.

Hi @Sankotronic, under Ideal circumstances the CO is a bit lighter then air and will spread equally thru the room, so the placing under the ceiling is perhaps good place.

ceiling is dual sensors like smoke + co, if you got individual sensor you should install it on head level

I hope it is better than the smoke sensor, i had 4 of them and they all beept every once in a while like the battery needs to be replaced.

I sold them all.

Edited by rvelthoen

37 minutes ago, rvelthoen said:

I hope it is better than the smoke sensor, i had 4 of them and they all beept every once in a while like the battery needs to be replaced.

I sold them all.

Hi @rvelthoen,

I'm really sorry that you had bad experience with smoke sensors. I have 3 of them and they beep only when they meant to, and that is when HC2 was turned off for longer time. Batteries are still good after more than year and half for two of them and third one is installed half year ago. Maybe your beeped because of bad connection to HC? It is really important where they are mounted and that they have good connection to gateway, or at least that there is repeater installed on proper place. One was tested with burned toast while others I test every month or so by pressing button.

1 hour ago, Bodyart said:

Hi @Sankotronic, under Ideal circumstances the CO is a bit lighter then air and will spread equally thru the room, so the placing under the ceiling is perhaps good place.

Hi @Bodyart,

there are never ideal circumstances in real life and worm air can be lighter than CO thus preventing CO to reach ceiling.

2 hours ago, tinman said:

most distributors got them yesterday/today, so if they have store (like we do), you can order immediately, all other stores have to wait 1-2 days to get them from distributors.

Hi @tinman,

thank you for info. I will definitely order few of Fibaro CO sensors as soon as they became available. I have very good experience with Fibaro smoke sensors and I believe that they did good job with CO sensor too. Keep fingers crossed :-) 

1 hour ago, A.Socha said:

ceiling is dual sensors like smoke + co, if you got individual sensor you should install it on head level

Hi @A.Socha,

that is exactly the same page I found :-) I suppose that CO sensor is treated same by HC as smoke sensor so there should be scene that will take care of actions if breached or at least associations has to be made to other devices?

Presently I have CO detector of Satel, paired with HC2 with the UBS module.

Once I got it, I have checked the internet to learn the proper placement and I found it should be installed at height 150 cm above the floor and 3 meters away from the potential source of CO ( in my case the fire place).

• Topic Author
  • In a small version of manual (one in the box), there is actual min. and max. height where to instal those CO sensor.

12 hours ago, Tundel said:

Yes, CO sensor should be in height human head, because gas is heavy and keep close to the floor.
    If you install CO sensor at the ceiling then it is useless sensor. You probably die, before sensor senses CO gases.

Your probably confusing CO2 with CO. Carbon dioxide is heavier than air. It is also a deadly gas, but for different reasons: it can displace oxygen so you nog longer can breathe. I happen to know this, because CO2 is often used in fire extinguishers in server rooms. When they go off: run! A prominent application of CO2 is "dry ice". It gives a nice fog that stays on the floor. The new sensor we're discussing here is not sensitive to CO2. Carbon dioxide sensors do exist, they're mainly used for air quality control.

I qoute : "Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas that is slightly less dense than air."

"Carbon dioxide (chemical formula CO2) is a colorless gas with a density about 60% higher than that of air (1.225 g/L)"

13 hours ago, Sankotronic said:

that is exactly the same page I found :-) I suppose that CO sensor is treated same by HC as smoke sensor so there should be scene that will take care of actions if breached or at least associations has to be made to other devices?

Yes,

• Topic Author
  • 13 hours ago, chaicka said:

Is it possible to have some typical/common use-case where the CO Sensor would make sense to deploy?

Some questions I have:

• Does placement of CO Sensor in Kitchen where there is gas stove and semi-enclosed area make sense?
    • Does placement of CO Sensor near to Gas Water Heater which is near bathroom but in open ventilated area make sense?
    • Does placement of CO Sensor in Laundry/Linen Room where there is gas water heater and semi-enclosed area make sense?
    • What is the correct position/placement of CO Sensor? Same as Smoke Sensor on the ceiling/false ceiling?

Use Case: Boiler rooms. CO could leak, from solid fuel boiler (isolation problem in boiler).

Same goes for Solid fuel fireplace stove in living room (life saving there). Then It could warn your family to open a window and go outside for a minute.

1. Kitchen make sense to place it there. You could turn on Cooker Hood if CO will be higher then healthy.
    2. If Gas Water Heater is in ventilated area, then i would personaly place it there just to check if CO is not high there.
    3. Laundry/Linen Room. I would place it there. If it's not fully ventialted, then i would place it there.
    4. Position/Placement for CO sensor. See post 15 in this topic:
    Edited by jakub.jezek

12 hours ago, A.Socha said:

Good information and knowledge from many who have posted on placement.

Just one more question: How about the distance from sources (e.g. gas water heater, gas stove, gas dryer)?

I supposed 3m from a potential source does not make sense, right?

• Topic Author
  • 5 minutes ago, chaicka said:

Good information and knowledge from many who have posted on placement.

Just one more question: How about the distance from sources (e.g. gas water heater, gas stove, gas dryer)?

I supposed 3m from a potential source does not make sense, right?

If CO can reach that 3m, then why not to place it there.

Found interesting article about placement of sensor.