Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

[SUBMITTED][Suggestion] Add Z-Wave diagnostics screen to HC2

Lambik

Fibaro, can you please add a diagnostics screen to the HC2?

This should include:

- Node information (type and capabilities)

- Node connections (mesh overview) Examples:

Please login or register to see this link.

- Node wireless strength (including transmit errors)

- etc.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Lambik said:

Node connections (mesh overview) Examples:

Hi @Lambik thanks for this topic/ suggestion.

The mesh overview would reduce a lot of "Device not working" topics here and help all of us finding the best spot for the HC2.

We're getting the key to our new house in a few months and the nicest/ easiest place might be the worst place, we'll have a detached garage and more distance to cover then we do now.

Jim

Of course that I support this suggestion since it doesn't really require much coding to make that visible to users since it is already in the box!

I have run around my house and garden recently using Fibaro devices range test and I have now pretty good idea where are bad spots. I must admit that I'm not surprised with the results thou. I did this because I have one gate that is behind our house on the opposite side of where HC2 is placed. There is a very little chance that Fibaro relay switch will work but it is just matter of try and error. I do have z-wave repeater placed on that side of the house so I hope that will serve as network relay. If not, I can't blame Fibaro for that, but the frequency that z-wave use and ability of radio signals on that frequency to go far enough!

Hello,

The suggestion has been submitted ;)

I encourage you to discuss the idea. The more feedback we get the better. You can try to specify what exactly you would like to see in such panel/tool.

Well, let's start with the functions as described by @Lambik!

I strongly support this request! This is an obvious win-win for all parties!

- Troubleshooting is a disaster at the moment; in a setup where you face a HCL/HC2 with multi vendor devices you are doomed when you face problems. Nobody feels responsible, as 'their' product is not the root cause.. Especially for professional installers this is killing their business. (to compare: the engine works, the pedals work, the clutch and the wheels work, but the car isn't working)

- Competitors do have this option (see initial post)

- Should significantly reduce the number of support cases here on the forum and probably also for the Fibar Support group

- Currently the only alternative is the CIT (

23 minutes ago, Sankotronic said:

(...)

There is a very little chance that Fibaro relay switch will work but it is just matter of try and error. I do have z-wave repeater placed on that side of the house so I hope that will serve as network relay. If not, I can't blame Fibaro for that, but the frequency that z-wave use and ability of radio signals on that frequency to go far enough!

(...)

Hi mate, why would you use a repeater? Any nonbattery zwave device can do the same right? All part of the mesh structure. With a max of four hops you should be able to reach pretty far.. :-)

35 minutes ago, MaTi said:

- Currently the only alternative is the CIT (

Maybe this one gets your interest:

But before purchase, i would send them a request if EU version is available if i was you.

Also maybe some additional suggestion.

1 hour ago, Lambik said:

Fibaro, can you please add a diagnostics screen to the HC2?

This should include:

- Node information (type and capabilities)

- Node connections (mesh overview) Examples:

- Node wireless strength (including transmit errors)

- etc.

+1 for this.

But maybe one addition and i'm very sorry to every end-user here on the forum. I would like to see those posibilities hidden, so end-user cannot find it easily. Talking from experience: e.g. notification "Too many instances". They do not know, that result of this notification was killing new instances.

They will get for 100% confused what it is what all of this means. Unless somebody from Fibaro write perfect user documentation.

1 hour ago, T.Konopka said:

I encourage you to discuss the idea

I second that idea.

• Topic Author
  • 2 hours ago, T.Konopka said:

Hello,

The suggestion has been submitted ;)

I encourage you to discuss the idea. The more feedback we get the better. You can try to specify what exactly you would like to see in such panel/tool.

Thank you @T.Konopka

20 minutes ago, jakub.jezek said:

Maybe this one gets your interest:

But before purchase, i would send them a request if EU version is available if i was you.

Also maybe some additional suggestion.

+1 for this.

But maybe one addition and i'm very sorry to every end-user here on the forum. I would like to see those posibilities hidden, so end-user cannot find it easily. Talking from experience: e.g. notification "Too many instances". They do not know, that result of this notification was killing new instances.

They will get for 100% confused what it is what all of this means. Unless somebody from Fibaro write perfect user documentation.

Agreed. It could be added in Configuration-->Diagnostic, using a separate tab which could be enabled by an 'enable' option with specific warnings. The output of the Z-Wave diagnostic should be read-only with a clickable link to the node.

EDIT: check Athom Homey example ('Stuff for geeks'). They have a window underneath with visible Z-Wave communication.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Edit: I think the LinuxMCE option is the best and most extensive example (see first posting for link)

Edit: Also a graph would be handy to check battery state over time. Often spikes or sudden declines are a sign something is/went wrong.

Edited by Lambik

E-mail notification when a device has an unstable or poor connection?

44 minutes ago, jimicr said:

I do not think, that unstable or poor connection, can be accessed on that level. I think it is accessible through connection test only or maybe I'm completely wrong in that.

But what about one mail if device gets dead (not spam like in case of dead battries).

I think it would be best if Fibaro added one feature at a time, like for starters the mesh map. So if any bugs sneak in it'll be easy to find for their engineers.

Jim

Hello,

15 hours ago, jimicr said:

This would be useful, but it could sometimes jam the whole system. Imagine that you lost connection or there was a power outage and after that you get email notification from every module that encountered any connection issues.

12 minutes ago, T.Konopka said:

Hello,

This would be useful, but it could sometimes jam the whole system. Imagine that you lost connection or there was a power outage and after that you get email notification from every module that encountered any connection issues.

What about letting user chose, which device must be dead to result in sending e-mail to all users. I made something simmilar (HC2 only) in a past.

I made this thing last time ago for a customer (wonder if it still works ;)). It send 1 mail after user defined time and 2nd after an hour (can be changed) after 1st mail. Should work i just renamed it to english (was in czech).

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Topic Author
  •  

3 hours ago, T.Konopka said:

Hello,

Agreed, I don't think email notifications should be implemented at first. Maybe, later on, extra lua functions or blocks to implemented this. This will prevent non-experienced users to get flooded by email by mistake.

Just another idea:

An other way to implement the z-wave diagnostic screens is like it's done with the FHC REST API Active Documentation (http://<HC2-IP>/docs) by using a separate section. IMHO this will be easier to implement and therefore not be a part of the HC2 WebMin-pages.

Also downloading device-templates could be moved to this section, including separate zwave log-files by device or sections to send to Fibaro Support/download to computer when asked.

I would also like this but would suggest keeping it very simple to start with 

Ask 1

A graphic/image/list that shows the path a node takes to communicate with the HC2 (direct or through other nodes) include node ID's

This alone would help a lot of people and as a first release this would be great

Ask 2

Some indication regarding the amount/busyness of network traffic would be helpful

This would be graphical or better again a realtime list of the zwave network requests

Ask 3

Indicator whether a node is a repeater or not and whether it is dead/connected and when it was last seen by the network

This can easily be gotten by the user but would be nice as an overlay on Ask 1 above

Ask 4

Expose some of this information or data through the API

I think all 4 would provide enough information to understand and stabilise any setup issues

I think, this getting to a stage, where we ask for something like SNMP, but for Z-Wave :D.

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, jakub.jezek said:

I think, this getting to a stage, where we ask for something like SNMP, but for Z-Wave :D.

Nice one! Then we also could monitor CPU/Memory/Storage resources. Also they could implement remote IETF/BSD format logging.

But I don't think they implement that I'm afraid, because it also means they have to maintain the embedded Debian Linux (2.6.32-5-686 from 2011!!) system (for security and infringe of the GNU license).

On-topic other suggestions:

1 - When clicking a node lighten the node-connections.

2 - Colour of nodes representing the communication delay. Like several green tints for delay, red when communication faults occur.

3 - Hover of node for representing (in a box) the errors/time-outs/capabilities/hops to gateway/etc..

15 minutes ago, Lambik said:

Nice one! Then we also could monitor CPU/Memory/Storage resources. Also they could implement remote IETF/BSD format logging.

But I don't think they implement that I'm afraid, because it also means they have to maintain the embedded Debian Linux (2.6.32-5-686 from 2011!!) system (for security and infringe of the GNU license).

I know they do not implement SNMP, but this "Z-Wave diagnostic" in this topic is similar (just similar) to it and it is for Z-Wave only. For SNMP i asked some time ago and it did not pass R&D i think.

17 minutes ago, Lambik said:

2 - Colour of nodes representing the communication delay. Like several green tints for delay, red when communication faults occur.

3 - Hover of node for representing (in a box) the errors/time-outs/capabilities/hops to gateway/etc..

I'm second that. But i'm afraid of drain RAM on HCL. But RAM update is another topic.

25 minutes ago, Lambik said:

Maybe it would be a smart move to have some (very experienced) members and a Fibaro dev to open up a personal message to reduce the distraction from to many idea's and opinions.

I think it would be smart to start simple and expand from there..

Jim

• Topic Author
  • @jimicr, I agree, start simple and expand, but I guess Fibaro must first show their intention other then 'soon'... ;)