Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Another Danfoss Room Sensor Topic

Momos

Question

Hello Fibaro Team,

Can you please let the community know the status of the integration of the Danfoss Room Sensor with the heating panel ?

There are quite a few topics on the subject already , there was even a promise that it will be solved soon, but that was about a year ago.  Now it is summer but it's not long until winter will be upon us again.

Currently the Danfoss Room Sensor doesn't do anything, as in its set point temp is not transmitted to the radiators valve in the same room.

@T.Konopka please look at this as i'm sure you are quite familiar with the subject.

Regards

Hello,

Yes, I am very familiar with the subject :) And I do not have any news besides that the heating panel has been being worked on constantly for quite some time already. But I can assure you that it is one of our priorities.

• Inquirer
  • I hope it will solved by the time winter comes.

Thank you for replying :)

• Inquirer
  • @T.Konopka another month passed , soon we will need heating.  Can you please ask around in the Fibaro Team when this issue will be solved ? Or give us some workaround please.  It's been more than 2 years and the problem is still here.  

Thank you.

@Momos, i would wait till start of the heating season. I think Fibaro will suprise us. I know they are working on Heating panel improvement.

Edited by jakub.jezek

• Inquirer
  • @jakub.jezek Hi.  I don't know if i should cry or laugh :roll:.  Last year we waited also.. for nothing.  Danfoss Room Sensor is a supported device.  The question is simple: when will it work ? as in change the temp and time from the room sensor and the new temp and time is send to the corresponding TRV's.  I have a Danfoss Room Sensor in every room and they are useless. They kinda look ok on the wall but that's it.

Or you have some inside information on this device ? please give a hint if you do :)  

11 minutes ago, Momos said:

@jakub.jezek Hi.  I don't know if i should cry or laugh :roll:.  Last year we waited also.. for nothing.  Danfoss Room Sensor is a supported device.  The question is simple: when will it work ? as in change the temp and time from the room sensor and the new temp and time is send to the corresponding TRV's.  I have a Danfoss Room Sensor in every room and they are useless. They kinda look ok on the wall but that's it.

Or you have some inside information on this device ? please give a hint if you do :) 

Well we (as company) asked Fibaro about upgrade of Heating panel. And as a partner (and by doing some firmware autopsy :D --> This is that hint) i may know few things.

There is a problem that if you set setpoint (desired temperature) on thermostat, then heating panel sets setpoint from heating panel back. So heating panel has more priority than Thermostat, which is wrong.

So idea was Thermostat synchronization (same like switch synchronization). But Fibaro make it in that way (@T.Konopka, please, correct me if i'm wrong) that Thermostat should activate manual mode. I spoke about it with 2 gentlemen from Fibaro (will not name them) in January and Fubuary this year. Last year it was few mail from October i believe.

That is how Danfoss made their link in their own system and that is what we want in Fibaro HC. If that could work, it can solve your problem with Danfoss RS aswell.

• Inquirer
  • It is not only the setpoint temperature.  On the Room sensor you can set a new temperature (override temperature) and the time you want this temperature to be set for in hours.  What should happen is: you set on the room thermostat (sensor) let's say 23 Celsius for 3 hours in room Office.  The HC2 software should automatically set the heating panel for room Office on manual mode for 3 hours and 23 Celsius.  It's just like you would set it from the interface.  Then when the 3 hours are up, heating panel resumes auto functioning.

This is how heating panel works now regarding manual / auto mode, so i see no reason at all why it can not do exactly  that when receiving this command from the room thermostat (sensor) and not from the web interface.

Please let me know if my explanation wasn't clear.

Regards

haven't tested it with Danfoss RS, but it might work when you create something similar to what i did for MCO, in principle you have only catch that RS value has been changed, switch the mode to manual and set the set temperature and dummy time, let say 2hrs and settimeout timer for 2hrs 5min to set back (just in case) to automatic. As i remember Danfoss RS was sending always wrong time when doing change, but that might be firmware version (Danfoss fw) related. 

• Inquirer
  • To catch the RS new setpoint temp is easy, the time not.  And it doesn't really work either way.  This is something trivial for Fibaro to sort out imo.

Hello,

@Momos, I can confirm that the works on the heating panel are progressing.

It is true that there is an issue with overriding the schedule by devices as the schedule have to be always on top. We are working on implementing the solution to make the override possible, but it may depend on a device - as you may guess we will not be able to do if for every device on the market.

I'll do my best to keep track of the works.

• Inquirer
  • @T.Konopka thank you for feedback.  I'm sure you can not implement for every device in the market, but the device in question - Danfoss Room Sensor - is an officially supported device by Fibaro. Since a lot of firmwares back. Due to that and only that I and most likely other people bought that device.  So i would expect for it to work :)  

Do you know if it will be ready by this winter ? :roll:

• Inquirer
  • @T.Konopka I'm coming back to this as we just had another update but still nothing changed.  Can you please confirm at least that the Danfoss RS will work properly this autumn ? heating season starts in about 1 month for me :( 

Hello, @Momos,

You are using Danfoss Room Sensor, so it is not an actor that reacts to the schedule created in the heating panel. However, you should be able to use it as a temperature sensor.

If you are using Danfoss RS to control devices responsible for the heating then you should not use the heating panel as any commands sent from RS will not override the schedule from heating panel.

If you are using Danfoss valves then they should work with our heating panel without any issues as they are actors in the schedule.

These are the findings and conclusions for now.

@T.Konopka,

If i may add. There is synchronization of Lights/Relays and RGBWs. What about synchronization of Thermostats? What we need is synchronized setpoint (desired temperature) to make it work. Other modes will be set acording device behavior to setpoint change.

• Inquirer
  • @T.Konopka I'm not sure i understand what you said :(

So there is a room with 3 Danfoss LC13 valves.  There is also a Danfoss RS on the wall near the bed where we actually need the set temperature, not at windows where valves usually are.

The RS is set as main temperature sensor in the room.  All goes well if set on auto mode using heating panel.

BUT: one night we decide we need to up the temperature in the room by 1 degree for 2 hours.  Go to the Danfoss RS and set new desired temperature and time from the buttons on the RS.  NOW what should happen is that heating panel for that room should go to manual mode with the new set temperature and time, hence all valves should receive new set temperature and time.  After the time passes it should go back to auto mode.

PROBLEM IS it is not happening like that: whatever you modify on the RS doesn't go to heating panel and from there to all the valves in that room. Valves continue to work on auto mode as per heating schedule.

Please tell me at least this time i described the problem in such a way that there can be no misinterpretation :)  It is the 5th time i explain it i think :D Or just tell me i'm stupid and IT SHOULD NOT work like this and explain me how can i capture correctly the inputs from the RS buttons and i'll LUA my own heating panel.

Edited by Momos

@Momos, I understand the issue :)

Using RS you will not override the schedule created in the heating panel. If you have linked Danfoss valves as actors in the schedule then they will always work according to the schedule. If you try to set a temperature manually via RS then the valves will get the new setting but after a minute they will go back to the schedule. However, you should be able to set the temperature manually directly on the valves without using the RS.

• Inquirer
  • Wow ok :(   i have used many heating systems, Danfoss, Honeywell, Eq3 and all and each of them the room thermostat was part of the heating solution.  Not gonna run around my living room where i got 8 radiator valves modifying them by hand one by one :(

Then please get me out of this mess and tell me how to get the set time and set temp from the RS through LUA and after i make a scene to change the heating panel to manual mode for the new set time and temp. 

Hello, @Momos,

The Room Sensor is a part of the heating panel as it works as a temperature sensor on whose reports the schedule works. The system is a source that set chosen temperatures on valves, if you use another source as Room Sensor then the valves receive two separate commands. As you can imagine the system has to interpret one of the commands as the one of higher priority.

However, the suggestion of overriding has been discussed but any decision has not been made yet.

• Inquirer
  • @T.Konopka I understand.  But when a device is implemented in HC2 (aka has a template and all) there must be a way to get all relevant data out through LUA.  To get the new setpoint temperature from the Danfoss RS the " fibaro:getValue(ID, "value")" can be used. But to get the new set time interval (1h, 4h, whatever you set from the buttons) the "fibaro:getValue(ID, "timestamp")" should be used. However this one always returns 2 hours, no matter what you manually set on the RS via buttons.  So my question was how to reliably get through LUA what you set on the RS ?

Hi boys

My setup today....

I have one Popp (i.e Danfoss made) thermostat tied to HC2 for testing purpose

+

14 LC13 + 1 RS. Those are  tied to a  Danfoss Link device for handling the heating

Now...
    I have seen what @T.Konopka wrote. It think the advice to set the LC13 manually is not an ok option as it is not even a work around IMHO. Or is it?

I have a setup myself with a Danfoss Link (that I maybe will terminate and integrate into the HC2 if the HC2 can do the job properly). I have an LC13 in a closet handling a water heated floor in the kitchen. The RS is sitting on the wall in the kitchen. The LC13 valve is a slave to the RS. Disabling the RS or only have the LC13 will set the temperature based on the LC13 built in temp sensor in the closet, which will be way wrong. I also have a bunch of LC13 in other rooms that live their own lives where set points are set by the Danfoss Link centrally, but where the LC13 use its own temp sensor. So I only use the RS where I need to have the LC13 temp sensor REPLACED by the one in the RS that is places correctly outside the closet.

Maybe this setup to steer the LC13 valve based on the RS instead of the built in temp sensor is not possible in open and free version. I have written in another thread that that the LC13 needed Danfoss proprietary firmware 3.0.2 for this particular setup to work with the RS. All other LC13 not sitting in this special setup can have any firmware version, including the open ones so the device can be used in Fibaro as well.

The RS can of course be bought for other reasons as well. To make it easier to see and change room temp and to steer all radiators synchronously. But I use it as the LC13 is way to badly placed.

So based on this... Can someone explain how the RS is supposed to work in the Fibaro environment and bring some light on this. Am I missing something important here? If so, please enlighten me…