Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Roller Shutter noisy

Sjekke

Question

Hi guys,

I just installed my second Roller Shutter. It works perfectly but when my blinds go up, the shutter makes a "zooming" noise. When the blinds go down, no noise. My other Roller Shutter is as quiet as a sleeping baby. 

Suggestions?

9 answers to this question

Hi @Sjekke,

What is producing that noise; the Fibaro Module or the roller/shutter itselves?

• Inquirer
  • Hi Tricky, the modules. My colleague thinks it's the relais that vibrates against the housing. When I squeeze the housing it's indeed less noise. When the motor of the blinds stops, the noise also stops. If the module is installed in the wall, you hear nothing. 

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Edited by Sjekke
    typo

Then it looks like you have faulty module. Hope still have warranty on it.

If so you can go back to your reseller or contact Fibaro directly.

I can't recognise the sound on your movie clip, but it might indeed have a 50 or 100 Hz component... Here's an idea. Could it be that N or L are not really N and L, due to some wiring issue? Can you measure voltage between N and L on the module with a multimeter, voltage tester or by simply adding an incandescent light bulb in parallel?

Edit: the power supply in this module contains a small coil, it is never 100% silent, not even when it is "on" or passing a load. It's difficult to convey the amount of "noise" produced but I would say it like this. If you hold any module of this generation (switch, dimmer) to your ear, you'll hear it "buzz". If you put one of these module on a desk and the room is very quiet, I can hear it buzz. I'm 50 years old but the doctor told me I have the ears of a 30 year old (that took care of is ears!). :-) 

Edited by petergebruers
    Add "module is never 100% silent"

I went to too many party's and concerts. Perhaps that's why I don't hear them buzzing anymore ;)

1 minute ago, TRicky said:

I went to too many party's and concerts. Perhaps that's why I don't hear them buzzing anymore ;)

Gosh, I hope you are allright. You don't hear them whisper "Fibaro" at turn-on either? ;)

6 minutes ago, petergebruers said:

Gosh, I hope you are allright. You don't hear them whisper "Fibaro" at turn-on either? ;)

Oops, never heard that before.... It's more like my whole house is humming constantly (and outside as well)! Just kiddin' ;) 

1 hour ago, petergebruers said:

I can't recognise the sound on your movie clip, but it might indeed have a 50 or 100 Hz component... Here's an idea. Could it be that N or L are not really N and L, due to some wiring issue? Can you measure voltage between N and L on the module with a multimeter, voltage tester or by simply adding an incandescent light bulb in parallel?

Edit: the power supply in this module contains a small coil, it is never 100% silent, not even when it is "on" or passing a load. It's difficult to convey the amount of "noise" produced but I would say it like this. If you hold any module of this generation (switch, dimmer) to your ear, you'll hear it "buzz". If you put one of these module on a desk and the room is very quiet, I can hear it buzz. I'm 50 years old but the doctor told me I have the ears of a 30 year old (that took care of is ears!). :-) 

In my (humble) opinion the swap of L and N couldn't make a difference in producing noise. You have to stick to the L and N wires just to not get problems with the wiring of the connected load. For the module itselves it can't make any difference. That's Alternating Current.....

On 8-8-2017 at 2:55 PM, TRicky said:

Oops, never heard that before.... It's more like my whole house is humming constantly (and outside as well)! Just kiddin' ;) 

In my (humble) opinion the swap of L and N couldn't make a difference in producing noise. You have to stick to the L and N wires just to not get problems with the wiring of the connected load. For the module itselves it can't make any difference. That's Alternating Current.....

In Belgium we often have L1 and L2 with no N. It does not make a difference, but I personally object against calling anything N that is not N.

What kind of error am I thinking of?

If you connect one side to an incandescent lamp, current will go through the lamp and it might be enough to start the module because it needs less than 1 W.

If you do not have a main RCD, you could accidentally connect one side to earth, the module will get 130 or 230 V depending on the configuration of your mains supply.

EDIT: here's what why module sounds like, when you hold it to your ear. The first part of the audio is a bit of ABBA, so you can get a reference volume. It should be as loud as you would normally select for listening to music for an extended period of time (not background level, not very loud either). After that you hear a buzzing and hissing sound, recorded at 3 cm from the module. It is the a typical sound (noise?) produced by this type of power supply (hysteretic switched mode)... Your module may sound differently, because noise from mains supply gets mixed in.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Edited by petergebruers