Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Official Google Home Support for HC2

amonts

Question

Hi Community,

I know that there are other topics regarding my question. But all of them propose to use HA-Bridge which is not what I want to do.

My question is if there are plans to officially support Google Home. Means if Fibaro is implementing a google action so you can control HC2 devices through Google Home (or assistant on a phone/tablet).

Thanks in advance

Tobias

@I.Srodka,

I have tried rebooting several times over the past 12 hours however I will try again now and report back

11 minutes ago, sirKitKat said:

I fear I can't help you any further then :/

Thanks for trying 

@I.Srodka,

After reboot I still have the same error.

Edited by Robert Folbigg

Guys, anyways, even if you get it to work its not very usefull.

You will hear A LOT OF "Which light", "Which device", "Which door or window"...

Example:

-Turn ON the LED (LED is a name of a device in my system) 

-Which device?

-LED

- Which device?

... and it goes on and on

Sometimes it simply does the command, sometimes it goes to the "Which device" round.

Another example :

-Open the window (window is a name of a blind)

-which device...

As well, the "talk to fibaro" takes just too long. First, the google home says - Okay. Here's Fibaro. Then Fibaro says - Start controling your home. this is 5 seconds noone ever gives you back every time you want to control anything :D and I just tested for a few times and I am sick of it already :D For now I stay with alexa, she is deaf sometimes, but for now better than this one.

15 minutes ago, HomeSystem.sk said:

Guys, anyways, even if you get it to work its not very usefull.

You will hear A LOT OF "Which light", "Which device", "Which door or window"...

Example:

-Turn ON the LED (LED is a name of a device in my system) 

-Which device?

-LED

- Which device?

... and it goes on and on

Sometimes it simply does the command, sometimes it goes to the "Which device" round.

Another example :

-Open the window (window is a name of a blind)

-which device...

As well, the "talk to fibaro" takes just too long. First, the google home says - Okay. Here's Fibaro. Then Fibaro says - Start controling your home. this is 5 seconds noone ever gives you back every time you want to control anything :D and I just tested for a few times and I am sick of it already :D For now I stay with alexa, she is deaf sometimes, but for now better than this one.

Now you have spoiled the surprise :roll:.

Im glad I still have HA Bridge linked...

Google Home works differently to Alexa. 

In Alexa, you can work on the local network - often using uPnP - so there's nothing going off the local Wifi.

In GH, the device goes out to the internet, then seems to come back through the fibaro  over the internet - hence the reason that we have to tie the authentication.  So the end result feels slow - similar to controlling the Fibaro from outside the home over 4g.

Edited by ianbren

Guest skarotech

Google Home can be fast, depends on how its implemented...I know my solution has a delay of ~2 seconds, even after its gone across the internet and back again.

Internet based authentication and service control is the way everyone is going unfortunately, I agree local point to point is much faster where possible.

There's some discussion on using the API for Google Home, but having the target system as a local url. 

I will look at this option in a week or so when I get some spare time.

38 minutes ago, skarotech said:

Google Home can be fast, depends on how its implemented...I know my solution has a delay of ~2 seconds, even after its gone across the internet and back again.

Internet based authentication and service control is the way everyone is going unfortunately, I agree local point to point is much faster where possible.

Guest skarotech

@ianbren i’d Like to know more about this, do you have a link that you can share on this discussion/concept ?

From what I have investigated, its all based around OAUTH and tokens providing an endpoint to their services.

12 hours ago, skarotech said:

@ianbren i’d Like to know more about this, do you have a link that you can share on this discussion/concept ?

From what I have investigated, its all based around OAUTH and tokens providing an endpoint to their services.

Something looking like this 

Please login or register to see this link.

and this 

The preview URL doesn't need to be in the cloud or open with OAuth - so in theory it could be a URL on your wifi.   I'd use a small WIFI device (an ESP8266 programmed with Arduino) to handle the request into Fibaro.

I did a similar thing with IFTTT (and AWS) and it works, but it's got multiple hops across the internet, so it takes a few more seconds than feels normal.  Check my other posts to see the source code.

Any update on this, I have just purchased a google mini and trying to link fibaro

anyone in australia get any further?  I still get the dependant service error, but interesting enough looks like its implemented now according to : 

@Robert Folbigg,

What phone do you have?

7 hours ago, Robert Folbigg said:

No still not working in Australia..... 

Which region do you set when you configure your Google Home?

i bought all my google home's (4) in the US while visiting family and when i returned to italy, where they are all being used, i haven't ran into any issues.  i even got the warning in the home assistant app stating they may not work because im using them in an unsupported country, i haven't had issues using them with FIbaro or anything else...   

1 hour ago, I.Srodka said:

@Robert Folbigg,

What phone do you have?

Which region do you set when you configure your Google Home?

@I.Srodka,

iPhone 7 plus, Australia 

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Edited by Robert Folbigg

I must admit I've tested it only on *pure* English (English US). 

If you could be so kind and test it out on both Google Home US and iPhone (English). However, if you don't have time I will check it tomorrow ; ) so that we could rule out potential issues. If this is something with regional settings I can bring up this issue.

3 minutes ago, I.Srodka said:

I must admit I've tested it only on *pure* English (English US). 

If you could be so kind and test it out on both Google Home US and iPhone (English). However, if you don't have time I will check it tomorrow ; ) so that we could rule out potential issues. If this is something with regional settings I can bring up this issue.

Same problem:

Please login or register to see this attachment.