Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Dimmer 2 installation issue

Oriz

Question

Hello, 

I'm a new Fibaro user and having some issues here that i wish some one could help me here.

1. I'm having difficulties to install the Fibaro Dimmer 2 .

After i installed it (without N) , turning the switch on/off works only on some cases. Also, swiping the bar on the mobile app causes the light to flicker. 

I have a strip LED connected to a 12V. Is this something that should work? 

2. In my bed room, i have a box of 2 switches (each one control a separate light).

However, I have another box with only 1 switch that also controls one of the lights. 

I have managed to successfully connect Single / Double switches without any problems. Which module should i choose now? Double Switch will be ok? If so, how should i connect it?

Thank you all.

Edited by Oriz

36 minutes ago, Oriz said:

Hello, 

I'm a new Fibaro user and having some issues here that i wish some one could help me here.

1. I'm having difficulties to install the Fibaro Dimmer 2 .

After i installed it (without N) , turning the switch on/off works only on some cases. Also, swiping the bar on the mobile app causes the light to flicker. 

I have a strip LED connected to a 12V. Is this something that should work? 

2. In my bed room, i have a box of 2 switches (each one control a separate light).

However, I have another box with only 1 switch that also controls one of the lights. 

I have managed to successfully connect Single / Double switches without any problems. What module should i choose now? Double Switch will be ok? If so, i should i connect it?

Thank you all.

no it's not

use a rgbw controller for that

no idea what you exaclty mean but....

you can leave the original switches to the "boxes" and add the fibaro switch next to the light bulb?

Regarding point 1: what @akatar said.

Point 2:

If you are not sure how those circuits are connected, I highly recommend advise from an electrician.

However, to give you some guidance, you can find several possible schematics of connections of multiple switches here:

Please login or register to see this link.

Edited by petergebruers

• Inquirer
  • 3 minutes ago, akatar said:

no it's not

use a rgbw controller for that

no idea what you exaclty mean but....

you can leave the original switches to the "boxes" and add the fibaro switch next to the light bulb?

Thank you for your response.

1. My LED light is only warm white. The rgbw will work with it? this is not what the dimmer should do ?

2. Let me try to explain again. In my room i have 2 lights (A and B). When i enter my room, i can turn on light A and B (2 switches in the same box). For this purpose, i can simply install the

"Fibaro Double Switch" to control both of them, BUT, near by bed, i have also another switch that can turn on/off A light.

So , do i need to install another "Fibaro Single Switch" module on that box? This is what i'm a bit confused here..

Hope this clears things out. 

2 minutes ago, Oriz said:

So , do i need to install another "Fibaro Single Switch" module on that box? This is what i'm a bit confused here..

It is not as simple as that.

You need to know how those switches are connected, and if you have L or N at each point.

Please have a look at the appnote I linked in my previous post

I can help you if you can tell me what your connections are. I need more than the description "I have a light and 2 switches". That is not enough information.

10 minutes ago, Oriz said:

Thank you for your response.

1. My LED light is only warm white. The rgbw will work with it? this is not what the dimmer should do ?

2. Let me try to explain again. In my room i have 2 lights (A and B). When i enter my room, i can turn on light A and B (2 switches in the same box). For this purpose, i can simply install the

"Fibaro Double Switch" to control both of them, BUT, near by bed, i have also another switch that can turn on/off A light.

the dimmers is ment for a 230 vac connection and a 230vac led or light bulb

you're led strip want 12vdc, so you need a transformer to create 12vdc out off 230vac

most transformers don't like the dimming what happens with the fibaro dimmer2 (sorry bad english, i know)

what will work is a fibaro switch to switch on/off the transformer that feeds the led strip.

for pint 2, if you say that a fibaro double switch will work, you can use a scene starter on other places to switch the lights on/off

Edited by akatar

• Inquirer
  • 2 minutes ago, petergebruers said:

It is not as simple as that.

You need to know how those switches are connected, and if you have L or N at each point.

Please have a look at the appnote I linked in my previous post

I can help you if you can tell me what your connections are. I need more than the description "I have a light and 2 switches". That is not enough information.

I'm far of being an Electrician, but believe me, i have someone that installs this for me.. the issue is that is English is very bad and he asked me to provide him a wiring diagram that he will install it with it.

We can pull L / N for light if needed... 

Well, give him the link I posted earlier on, it is full of wiring diagrams, plus a link to the manual of the FGD-223 (more diagrams!).

Older model:

For lights, I recommend you buy the double relay version. You can connect 1 or 2 switches and 1 or 2 lights. if you only connect one light, the second switch can serve another function ;-)

Edited by petergebruers
    Add old and new model for completeness

Hi,

I helped oriz with the installation so i might be able to expend a little bit on his situation.

regarding the LED strip, its A LED 12V strip connected to a 220V TO 12V transformer. the transformer is built in inside the LED lamp case.

what he did was simply connecting the DIMMER module inside the switch that control this lamp. ( so he actually connected the dimmer to the 220V transformer)

when you set the bar at about 30% the led starts flickering. when the dimmer is on maximum i think it works ok.

regarding the double switch, lets try to make it a little bit more simple.

i have one light, but i have 2 different switches that can turn it on and off.

for example, when i enter the room i have one switch and near my bed i have another switch that control the same light.

how can i connect it to the relay ?  

Edited by tzimber

6 minutes ago, tzimber said:

Hi,

I helped oriz with the installation so i might be able to expend a little bit on his situation.

regarding the LED strip, its A LED 12V strip connected to a 220V TO 12V transformer. the transformer is built in inside the LED lamp case.

what he did was simply connecting the DIMMER module inside the switch that control this lamp. ( so he actually connected the dimmer to the 220V transformer)

when you set the bar at about 30% the led starts flickering. when the dimmer is on maximum i think it works ok.

for example, when i enter the room i have one switch and near my be i have another switch that control the same light.

how can i connect it to the relay ?  

you can not dim most transformers, 

remove the dimmer and replace it with a relais module

12 minutes ago, akatar said:

you can not dim most transformers, 

remove the dimmer and replace it with a relais module

can you give some more info on the"relais module" ?

9 minutes ago, tzimber said:

can you give some more info on the"relais module" ?

this is only on/off for the leds

Edited by akatar

Just now, akatar said:

Just now, akatar said:

this one will only turn on/off....

there is no way to dim LED light that is not 220 native ?

43 minutes ago, tzimber said:

for example, when i enter the room i have one switch and near my bed i have another switch that control the same light.

I already answered that question, as best as I could, with the information I had, in my previous post.

1 hour ago, petergebruers said:

If you are not sure how those circuits are connected, I highly recommend advise from an electrician.

However, to give you some guidance, you can find several possible schematics of connections of multiple switches here:

Can you please have a look at the diagrams?

Edit, for sake of completeness, you can find everything you want to know regarding the latest single/double switch here:

The older model had an "IN" connection, the newest version has IN connected to L internally.

Edited by petergebruers
    Difference between old and new Fibaro switch

17 minutes ago, tzimber said:

yes, with the fibaro rgbw module, also mentioned i this thread before.

this one only needs 12vdc, read the manual for correct installation.

@tzimber @Oriz did you have a look at the diagrams in the appnote?

If you want more help, can you please tell me which diagram corresponds to the wiring in your house?

• Inquirer
  • Hey again..

In regards to my first question, this is the lamp that i have in my living room. I want to order the RGBW switch but i'm still not sure if it will work on this. As you can see in the pictures attached, this is not an AC adapter, 

it's called LED driver which i'm not quite sure what it is. 

@

from the link you sent me, the diagram that corresponds to my scenario is Figure 1: A standard 2-Way Wiring System. As described in diagram,  i have lighting system where one light is controlled by two light switches. BUT, in ONLY one of those boxes, i have another switch that controls a separate light. So, my question here is if i need 2 switches or that the Double Switch will be ok here. 

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Edited by Oriz

An "LED driver" is not compatible with Fibaro RGBW module. I can read the specs and it says "0.85 A 42-53 V". That is outside the spec of the RGBW anyway. I also notice this driver does not have a "dimmable" symbol, so I think that explains why FGD-212 doesn't work. You light try to force it as non-dimmable. Or use a "Single/Double Switch 2". At the moment, I cannot think of a better way of dimming that light. You can probably use a double switch, so you can turn on only 1/2 of that light... poor man's dimmer...

If the first diagram is correct, then the other diagrams all show possible solution to use ONE relay with two or more switches. So if your electrician is able to apply any of those schematic diagrams, you will have control of 1 light from 2 different places (2 different switches).

Double or single switch... it is you choice... Do you want to connect something else? Maybe not right now but maybe in the future? Then I'd buy the double relay. For lighting, both switches are fine. But... Please note some of these LED drivers have high inrush current. They might make your relay "stick". In that case, sometimes you can get it un-stuck by tapping the relay. If it keeps happening, you will have to add a second, bigger relay (for instance, in the light, there seems to be enough space). In that case, it is better to buy the single relay, it has better inrush current handling. What kind of light/lamp are you going to connect?

• Inquirer
  • @

Thanks a lot for your help, for the LED strip in my living room, i ended up by using a single switch for the time being. In my bed room. i managed to solve it with your diagrams so we are done with these 2 issues.

Now :) , since i still have a spare dimmer that i need to use, i'v tried to install it with a 2-wire connection to a regular 60W incandescent light bulb with a toggle switch. I can control the dim level using the app BUT if i swipe it to more then 80%  approximately, then the light goes off.  In the dimmer advance settings, i'v selected the "toggle" option. I have also get this error message in the notification are Caution! Mains voltage drop detected.

Also, i have some questions that i hope you can answer :

1. Can you set the toggle switch of the dimmer to off / dim max when using the switch? that i could dim the light only from the app.

2. Can i use the dimmer on a non-dimable LED just for on/off the light (since i have a room that i can not get N wire to there).

3. Is there any way to control TV ( i saw an LG plugin but i'm not sure how to enable it)

4. Can i connect a roller shutter + light to one roller shutter sensor (i guess not, but maybe you will surprise me.

Thanks !!

Edited by Oriz

18 hours ago, Oriz said:

Now :) , since i still have a spare dimmer that i need to use, i'v tried to install it with a 2-wire connection to a regular 60W incandescent light bulb with a toggle switch. I can control the dim level using the app BUT if i swipe it to more then 80%  approximately, then the light goes off.  In the dimmer advance settings, i'v selected the "toggle" option. I have also get this error message in the notification are Caution! Mains voltage drop detected.

Because 60 W is above the minimum required load, I did not expect this error. Maybe the dimmer was calibrated with another load, and did not detect a change of bulb. Maybe it did not do an auto-calibration. This issue happens sometimes (with 2-wire setup).

Before we begin, please write down the value of "Parameter 2 Maximum brightness level". Then set p 13 to 1 and observe the light bulb perform some dimming steps. After 30 seconds, refresh the page in the browser and take note of the new value. Check if this solves the problem. If that does not help, decrease P2 in steps of 5 points. If you still have issues report the values.

18 hours ago, Oriz said:

1. Can you set the toggle switch of the dimmer to off / dim max when using the switch? that i could dim the light only from the app.

Parameter 19 Forced dimming level
    If the parameter is active, turning on the Dimmer (S1 single click) will always set this dimming level.

If you do click-click (2 x toggle fast) for the dimmer to go to full brightness.

18 hours ago, Oriz said:

2. Can i use the dimmer on a non-dimable LED just for on/off the light (since i have a room that i can not get N wire to there).

Yes, but you need to have a minimum load. If the load is too low, it won't work reliably in 2-wire setup.  Some LEDs glow when the dimmer is off, in that case you need a Bypass 2. It is best to try it with your particular load... If the load is detected as dimmable, and you really want only on/off you can set p1 = 98 and p = 99.

18 hours ago, Oriz said:

3. Is there any way to control TV ( i saw an LG plugin but i'm not sure how to enable it)

I do not know. You might want to search the forum and if nothing turns up start a new topic.

18 hours ago, Oriz said:

4. Can i connect a roller shutter + light to one roller shutter sensor (i guess not, but maybe you will surprise me.

I really doubt that. The FGRM module measures current to determine if the motor is running (to detect the endpoints of the shutter).

Manual and schematic diagrams:

Good luck!

• Inquirer
  • @

Thanks for your response.

I will check this today evening and will update here.