Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

[IDEA] HA Heartbeat

AutoFrank

Hi,

I created a Heartbeat type scene for when I am away from home. This is to give me an idea of how well my HA is running while I am away. It runs every 6 hrs while the house is in away mode.

I'm not publishing the code as it is very specific to my setup. I can share parts if somebody is interested in a particular part.

I get my heartbeat report via pushover but depending on what is up/down I can also get it over email.

It's not 100% foolproof but works for me 

Here is my pushover report 

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Might be worth creating one for your setup 

Edited by AutoFrank
  • Thanks 1

You really are enjoying your vacation aren't you ;).

When I am homesick for my HA I just open the app and look at some status VD's. But sending a report is a nice feature 8-) .

Now go and sit in the sun!

• Topic Author
  • 29 minutes ago, jimicr said:

Now go and sit in the sun!

Always ;)

I plan to refine this at a later stage to send a single message like "HA OK" every 6 hours and send some additional detail if some aspect has malfunctioned.

I also need to add some info on the number of dead nodes.

It's just to let me know that it's running as expected 

This first pass was quickly put together before I headed away.....ill update this post as I refine it .... might inspire other users for their systems ...

Not bad. Actually, this is another (home grown) approach to get something similar to what I described in my post: 

Please login or register to see this link.

I however think it is much more useful if you get notification (a loud one, probably) if something is really NOT right.

• Topic Author
  • 17 minutes ago, qnstie said:

Not bad. Actually, this is another (home grown) approach to get something similar to what I described in my post: 

Please login or register to see this link.

I however think it is much more useful if you get notification (a loud one, probably) if something is really NOT right.

@qnstie

That's an intetesting request and should be do-able from their cloud servers 

For me hc2 up/down wasn't enough 

I wanted to see that the "sub-systems" were all running as designed as a nreak in one could impact various parts of my solution ... 

• Topic Author
  • Thanks for all for the comments on this....

I think I'll develop this on to a more generic solution that can be configured to monitor any number of scenes and virtual devices and create a useful and consumable heartbeat report 

• 4 months later...

@AutoFrank  Hi Frank, any progress on this front?

Here is my current setup:

• An extended version of a home table that specifies state for each device/VD depending on the home status/leaks/grid supply/alarm etc
    • A VD that constantly checks for the coherence of device/VD state with the current home status and other systems states
    • A scene that runs and puts each device into the correct state whenever the home status or other systems conditions are changed (e.g. grid electricity is off, leak is found, alarm goes off etc). Once all devices are set to the correct state, the system then waits, asks the VD for the coherence report, then reports to the user if transition has been successful.
    • A VD that checks for debug errors in VDs (the one you have created) and sends a message in case of errors

This all works well and allows to control the house in most situations, but there is still a problem of the house being offline when the internet cuts off. Is there an external service that would report if it does not get a 'ping' from the HC within a specified period?

Thanks,

Ros

Edited by Ros

• Topic Author
  • Hi @Ros

Sorry, I'm not in a position to help out at the moment. Perhaps one of other users may be able to help you.

Apologies again..

_af 

• 4 weeks later...

By the way, I have created a Heartbeat solution with the ThingSpeak cloud. It requires only a scene on your HC and an account at ThingSpeak. You can get notified  by ThingSpeak  (via any messenger api) when your HC is offline and back online. I have made a post about it in ''Other solutions'.

Edited by Ros

• 2 years later...

Looked at this, I hope somebody might have a solution, my main issue is after a power cust and we have one smaller one weekly all my smart lights bulbs

when power is back, turn on and stay on   I was hoping a heartbeat solution my be able to pick up on power cut and when power is back run scene to turn them off,    All my systems are on UPS but not my light bulbs (  AEON Labs ) 

If anybody have a idea or perhaps a solution I be most grateful 

• 4 weeks later...
    On 7/4/2020 at 1:28 PM, Jasper Waale said:

Looked at this, I hope somebody might have a solution, my main issue is after a power cust and we have one smaller one weekly all my smart lights bulbs

when power is back, turn on and stay on   I was hoping a heartbeat solution my be able to pick up on power cut and when power is back run scene to turn them off,    All my systems are on UPS but not my light bulbs (  AEON Labs ) 

If anybody have a idea or perhaps a solution I be most grateful 

@Jasper Waale sounds like an annoying situation.  There might be an easier solution, have you checked if AEON allow you to set the post-power failure bulb state?  Fibaro devices allow you to select whether bulb reverts to off, or saves its state.

If you do go with the heartbeat solution, I'd suggest leaving at least one light on, so you know the power is back on.