Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Remote controller with Fibaro

jakub.jezek

I have been wondering. Which remote to use as remote controller with Fibaro. And i do not mean Z-Wave stuff, like Swipe, Keyfobs, ...

I know there is Harmony, but i do know it very little. But is there any other "smart" remote? Also i don't mean remote control if i integrate Fibaro under other systems, like Control4, Crestron or RTI.

I found that interesting: 

Please login or register to see this link.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

@I.Srodka, do you have some info about sevenhugs remote?

• Topic Author
  • @AutoFrank,

Thanks for asking.

I would like to control everything what you can count into comfort in HA (lights, blinds, thermostats) if possible.

Security is another topic. For that I would possibly choose something different, like RFID entry reader with binary output, to arm/disarm.

Edited by jakub.jezek

• Topic Author
  • @Igy, the app should have look diferently then :D. In case of Android app should support App shortcuts (link below) with user defined scenes.

Also use-case for having remote: I do not have to unlock it :D. I have to unlock cell phone (its set for PIN, gesture or fingerprint for security reason). Yes, with fingerprint it is easy, but if you have just PIN or gesture to unlock, it is "long time till you get devices on. With remote you just list device you need and set it on.

Link to app shortcuts:

IMHO nor cell phone neither a controller belong to HA. Thouse "solutions" are only for the situations which can not be satisfactory  automated....

A "real" HA shoul'd work without any control intervention by user....

I also have some controllers, buttons, keyfobs and switches, but it's just to play with them in order to learn....

Edited by Bodyart

• Topic Author
  • @Bodyart,

That is true. I will try to explain remote use-cases on examples for lights and HVAC. Everything is about Comfort and easy control.

Also not everybody is a geek, proggramer or user confident enough to get lua done correctly. There are many who uses HCL for basics.

Light adjusting: You could have scene, that monitors Lux and according that light will be adjusted. But what if (just an example) you are just a user, that knows only how to control it (installation is made by Fibaro dealer), so you have 3 options.

• Use mobile phone, but it is no good use-case, if you are in bed reading a book (jus an example) and mobile phone is somewhere in different room or unreachable place from the bed. So you have to get up from cozy bed and find it.
    • Use remote controller (Z-Wave). You could have a scene controller somewhere, but i don't know. Too many combinations there. Easily forgotten if not used that combination much.
    • Use remote controller (simmilar to Harmony). List device and adjust it by using slider or number. Eg. press a button 7 and Dimmer will be at 70%. Seems pretty comfortable to me :D.

Comfort (HVAC system): There is heating and Cooling panel, but what if you want adjust temperature in your HVAC system. There could be a VD (i personally would not use scene) that handle it.

• Use mobile phone, but it is no good use-case, if you are in bed reading a book (jus an example) and mobile phone is somewhere in different room or unreachable place from the bed. So you have to get up from cozy bed and find it.
    • Use remote controller (Z-Wave). You could have a scene controller somewhere, but i don't know. Too many combinations there. Easily forgotten if not used that combination much.
    • Use remote controller (simmilar to Harmony). List device and adjust it by using slider or up/down buttons (i would not used numeric button here).

Great discussion and one that I have pondered over for a while. I worked with openremote and some other DIY-interface creators and guess where I am now - two ipads running two apps. Sonos and fibaro native ( neither of which do 100% of what I need easily)

For me HA needs a mix of automation and direct control and I can't see this changing even with a learning/AI system.

Automation should ideally cover between 70%-90% of situations/tasks 

The other 10%-30% is for Direct Control for when I want to do something different from the norm or somebody unfamiliar with the system, such as a guest, is interacting with it.

I agree that phones are useful but not ideal for primary control devices.

.. moving back to remotes and  @jakub.jezek original query.

Do you envisage a handheld device or something larger like a 7" or 10" tablet

Let's ignore security for a while as I agree that requires a slightly different approach and there is a good possibility that voice/rfid/ fingerprint/camera could potentially solve this as add-on to your ideal remote 

Could you describe your ideal remote?

• Topic Author
  • 27 minutes ago, AutoFrank said:

Could you describe your ideal remote?

Well, i can try.

It could use wifi or Bluetooth (+ bridge for IP control).

I consider it in 2 possible in designs:

• It could simmilar to classic remote with small (160x200 pixels??) OLED display. 8-bit color could be enough, for browsing.
    • Touch display with 2/3 of width of iPod 6th gen and same heighta as iPod 6th gen. Basically like

, without needing to point to light, thermostat, window, ...

Buttons:

• numberic + hash an star.
    • up, down, left, right for navigating through menu.
    • Standard control for A/V + ON/Off, but that would be optional for me (just my poinion), if i were using Fibaro only.

Since i'm using Control4 at home now for A/V and experiments with HA, i have this remote in my bedroom and living room:

And impression is big. It replaced app control of Kodi, mine TV (Panasonic) remote in future it replace remote to iEast player (testing) and remote receiver (intend to buy Integra DRX-2).

I now even consider to integrate Fibaro, that i plan to my home under Control4, because of control from remote.

Edited by jakub.jezek

Thanks @jakub.jezek

Looks like a very multi purpose device and one that will need to be 'coded' as well......

I was interested in you choice for now being control 4 or a possible move to fibaro. I would consider them at opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of user configurable / openness ( not unless you are also a dealer ;) ) 

• Topic Author
  • @AutoFrank,

Remote could be something, that has some minimal app, just for control some devices or scene. Could be simmilar to Android wear integration, but with devices and rooms.

Control4 has their remote connected with 2,4 GHz ZigBee to their controller. Which sometimes causes trouble, if you have unmanaged WiFi with channel set to auto. With right setting there is no problem. With WiFi there is no problem. In terms of WiFi, problems are neighbours :D (if they have some OP WiFi).

I'm not moving from Control4 to Fibaro. I simply want both. But it has to be controlled from system with more AV based system. And about integration to other devices into Control4, for partners and dealers, that wanted to develops something, they have dedicated documentation.

And i said in in few post, Control4 is not DIY system like Fibaro. It goes through dealer site only.

@jakub.jezek

I liked imperihome when I worked a little with it but the support was non existent.

It has good configurability but I could never get it look professional. It ran on my synology NAS so no extra hw required.

I might give it another go over the coming winter and see if I can extract some of the images/buttons/etc from the fibaro apps including the web ui and make it look better 

With the way my system is set up I could get away with one customised screen upstairs and one downstairs.

Edited by AutoFrank

• Topic Author
  • @AutoFrank,

Openremote seems to be quite useful. I looked at it some time ago :D. But i'm not graphic, so mine UI was a disaster ;D.

With Control4 interface, our customer (C4/Fibaro dealer) made very good video, but it is in CZ. He shows there Fibaro RGBW control from Control4.

Edited by jakub.jezek

I have a very old Logitech Harmony, it refuses to die. I installed it 7 (maybe more) years ago to control TV + HDD recorder + STUFF (you know... stuff...). I still occasionally use it to control the HDD recorder, it lasts longer than the original remote control although the plastic is crumbling.

I *like* that remote: charge in cradle (every X months). Build your own menu system = like block scenes linked to a scene controller like Remotec or MiniMote. "Geek access mode" = select from all possible commands (like the Fibaro App). It is instant-on. It has a colour display...

I repeat: instant-on, custom menu colour display, rechargeable (every X months).

Downside = I think Logitech no longer supports the (server + java based!) programming environment for my old remote.

If someone builds that for Z-Wave... You know... instant-on, custom menu colour display, rechargeable (every X months).

I really have to check out their newer stuff. They advertise IFTTT, Hue, Sonos,... So they can send any http command, to start a scene on a HC?

I'm using Harmony ultimate with Harmony HUB, because there are no explicite rules for the choice of TV-channel, or Radio station :-D

Nut when I'll be able to connect Alexa to Logitech (The skill refuses account linking outside US) I'll stop using Harmony...

has anyone heard of these remotes out of a company in the UK? they sell fully costomizable remote specifically for Home Automation.

the sites says their T3-V+ and above remotes can be used as a stand alone controller or when used with other RTI devices can be an integral part of a advanced control system, offering sophisticated features such as RS-232, IP or relay control, power sensing and RF transmission through walls or cabinets.  they have a great looking and customizable lcd screen, similiar to openremote, but with a more "all-in-one" approach.

in 2016 they released a z-wave enabled remote called the  The ZW-9

RTI is shipping its ZW-9 Z-Wave interface that enables monitoring and control of Z-Wave-enabled systems and devices via an RTI control system.

The ZW-9 Z-Wave interface uses the Z-Wave wireless protocol to communicate between RTI systems and lighting, door locks, thermostats, and other Z-Wave-enabled devices. When combined with an RTI XP processor it offers control and monitoring through an RTI user interface. RTI's Integration Designer software, can be used for programming and installation.

.. looks like it's not a standalone remote

The T3-V+ looks nice 

But at 200-500 dollars it's expensive 

Edited by AutoFrank

I just found this remote that was started on kickstart.com.  its a EU company selling it and its also z-wave enabled.  its an open source remote controller with a lot more flexablity than the Logitech. the SDK is open and they have it available on their site.  the remote is setup somewhat like the harmony remote.  

i just preordered the bundle.  it looks extremely promising.  

Edited by matt1981
    added images

You can take a look at the app Imperihome. This is for both Android and iOS.

It is compatible with Fibaro and other equipment, f.ex. Netatmo, Nest, Kodi, HUE...

You have to use a phone or pad.