Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Aeotec Z Wave extender

andyp

Question

anyone using a Aeotec Z Wave Extender with their HC2. I have one with a view of extending the signal down my garden for lights etc but I'm not convinced it is working or I am setting it upright, as when I use the Fibaro Motion Sensor as a range tester I get the same result with or without extender.

When I plug the extender in I get a red flashing LED and when I include it it just glows red, the  fibre device page tells me it is not configured but don't seem to be able to configure it, the manual that came with it only talks  about minimote inclusion.

Any advice appreciated

10 answers to this question

I use one for the same purpose and it is working fine. The device IS configured, so I think there is your problem. I can't recall that I had issues when I included it.

Extender version 1.6 and HC2 version 4.130

• Inquirer
  • @boerremk

Do you have any leds lit on your when it is configured?

still can’t get mine to configure or when I do it loses it as soon as I try to move back to preferred location. 

This is one of the rasons i asked for a neighbor list in hc2, so you can actualy see wich device has ha good/poor connection and wich ones are acting as repeaters.

there were a few people that claims that this is not nessecery, they stated that a fibaro pir was enough to test.

good luck!

• Like 1

For me it is working fine, after I installed it, i never have dead nodes anymore. 

I have a technical room for my pond that is at the other side of the garden. I placed the extender near a window direct in line of sight of the technical room.

hooking into this topic.

I also use an Aeotec Z-Wave Range extender in my setup, but not the new Gen 6, I'm using the old one Gen 1/2. (the new one indicates through LED if connected or not, the old one doesn't)

After a long time of usage I can clearly state that there is no point in using this device instead of any other Z-Wave actor.

The idea of it is to extend the Z-Wave network, so I put it on the edge of the existing network to extend it to my garden.

The main problem with the Range Extender is that you don't have an indication if it's in range  of the network or not.

As there is no interaction with the device directly, the HC2 interface also doesn't show if communication to it failed or not.

Fibaro wall plug cost about the same price and has better range indication capabilities. You even can check if you have direct or indirect communication with the controller.

And it doesn't block the socket.

For now I've put the range extener into a water resistant box, outside the house. when it dies some day, it will be replaced with a fibaro wall plug.

Edit: to contribute to the question...

Yes, it should be configured to work. Constant LED on.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

br - kro

Edited by kroeatschge

I have two range extenders (v6).

Both have been added to the network but only one is configured. The first recognises the producer (Aeon Labs) and shows that it is configured (see attachment 1).

The second one would not configure itself properly and would not show Aeon Labs as the producer.

Where I went wrong is that I was telling fibaro to add a device in secure mode and then when in pairing mode, I was pushing the button on the extender 3 times.

If you are looking to add the extender in secure mode, you push the button twice within 1 second. The button will flash blue, saying that it is attempting to add itself in secure mode.

You then have to leave it for a minute a two, the device will start rainbow colours again - if you read the manual, it say you need to double press agin, don't, it is just fibaro taking a little longer, because when you leave it a little more time, you will see fibaro start to add all the groups and parameters. Once that is complete, the device is added.

v6 does allow you to test the range of extender - see this manual:

Please login or register to see this link.

You hold the button down until it goes voilet, then let go, it will test the range of the network and give you a rag (red, amber, green) status to tell you the health of the device to the network.

This has helped a lot in being able to determine the right position.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

I see they now have a Aeotec Range Extender Gen 7. Are these devices worthwhile to consider to "boost signal"?

Hello, in my Experience i would rather buy another Fibaro Wallplug.

1. It also acts as a Repeater
    2. You don't loose a Socket
    3. Because its an Wallplug you can control another Device with it. (Maybe an Table Lamp, TV or so on...)

I use around 3 of them mainly as "Range Extender" for Smoke Sensors or Magnet Contacts in far away Rooms or Garden Shed's.
    Work's really good for me.

• Like 1