Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

So is the Fibaro Button working for anybody?

Ole

Question

I am about to throw my Fibaro Button in the bin. It may work once in 20-30 attempts, maybe. I just want to use it to turn lights on and off, but it almost never works, and I certainly can't switch them on and off again in the same evening.

Anyone @Fibaro with a solution to this or do I just throw it away? I am done trying to get it to work, it just annoys me to look at it.

• Inquirer
  • Just now, I.Srodka said:

@Ole,

Did you send your buttons in?

As I wrote I returned the old one to the store and got a new one just a couple of days ago.

26 minutes ago, Ole said:

As I wrote I returned the old one to the store and got a new one just a couple of days ago.

Okay, but I see that you've sent them to some webshop right? We could of course take a better look at them and diagnose what went wrong with your particular situation.

But as far as your button is concerned, have you opened it after you had received it? Have you checked if the battery is inside? Have you try to move it or anything?

Edited by I.Srodka

• Inquirer
  • 22 minutes ago, I.Srodka said:

Okay, but I see that you've sent them to some webshop right? We could of course take a better look at them and diagnose what went wrong with your particular situation.

But as far as your button is concerned, have you opened it after you received it? Have you checked if the battery is inside? Have you try to move it or anything?

Please read my posts as I have done all that. (This is a brand new Fibaro Button and I am not paying to send it to Poland. If there is no solution I will just return it to the web shop and buy another brand. There are to many complaints about this button for it to be just my buttons that are faulty. If Fibaro pays the postage I can consider it.)

Please read the following 2 posts:

So my Fibaro Button has gradually gotten worse and last week it stopped working all together. I wasn't even able to reset it and re-ad it. The webshop I bought it at sent me a new one, but it isn't really any better than the old one was a few weeks ago. I just can't understand why it is so unreliable? The Button works most times when I have it in the same room as the HC2, but when I have moved it to the room where it is supposed to work as a light switch it stops working almost all together. It is in a room with 6 devices that all work as repeaters so why it doesn't work is beyond me. But could using associations to directly control the bulbs be a solution and does The Button support that? This is my last effort at using this button, before I buy another switch.

So last night I tried to turn the lights on with the button and it doesn't work. I take it back to the room where the HC2 is and where it worked ok before I moved it. I try pressing it 4 times and there is no "transfer ok" with the HC2. I try for several minutes to get it to communicate with the HC2 but there is no activity. I also restarted the HC2. I then force removed it from the HC2 since I can't remove it by excluding it. I then follow the procedure to reset the button and try to add it again. There is no reaction when I press the button more than 6 times with ad device running on the HC2. I have tried resetting and adding the button 10-20 times and nothing happens. @I.Srodka This thing is driving me crazy! I have never come across a z-wave device that is so unreliable. What should I do?

Edited by Ole

I understand but I was more interested in technical and mechanical steps you've taken after you received the new one.

I can only underline how sensitive this device is from the bottom and that you should close the battery lid quite carefully, because too much pressure may bend some elements inside.

I think that in this case you need to send in those buttons again.

• Inquirer
  • I returned both buttons and changed it to a Philio smart control. Problem solved!

I have the same experience with "The Button" as you.

I replaced my first with a new one after having the same problems as described above.

Second one worked very good for some days but gradually got worse. Not registering every click. Finally it stopped working all together. I then reset it, it worked ok for some time then back into some kind of broken state. After that I haven't had the  energy to try it more. I will try to resurrect it tonight ..

Strange thing is I have a lot of other battery driven Fibaro devices with no problem at all. For instance, the FOB works like a charm and one would like to think that the goodies under the hood is pretty much the same? 

Edited by alexndr

I changed the battery with a saft 3.6V, after that no problems anymore.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, samuel said:

Maybe I should try this ... same problem as the other community members ... worked perfectly ... degrades ... stops working.

I reinstalled my button this week end. It took a lot or retries to get it out of the system. Since the button was not picking up clicks, the usual "remove device"- routine would not work..

After a lot of effort I got it  installed again and it works perfectly. All clicks are picked up.

I'm hoping for something else but I'm expecting the same degradation journey as before ..

On 2017-10-07 at 12:43 AM, samuel said:

I don't follow; New battery? New type of battery or what? 

Edited by alexndr

• Inquirer
  • On 7.10.2017 at 12:43 AM, samuel said:

I tried that battery too because it was the only one I could get at the time. Made no difference.

4 hours ago, alexndr said:

I reinstalled my button this week end. It took a lot or retries to get it out of the system. Since the button was not picking up clicks, the usual "remove device"- routine would not work..

After a lot of effort I got it  installed again and it works perfectly. All clicks are picked up.

I'm hoping for something else but I'm expecting the same degradation journey as before ..

I don't follow; New battery? New type of battery or what? 

As for me, the device was added to the network. and often to almost none, the button didn't worked as I pressed the button. That eventually I moved the button closer to the HC2 controller, that it worked (with full battery level !!). So I ordered some new batteries and it worked very well for me.

On 10/9/2017 at 8:12 AM, alexndr said:

Yesterday the button was behaving bad again. Not every click is picked up. Some of the clicks will according to the web GUI do nothing while some will make "Transfer OK" or "Device is awake" flash by. 

I think I will give up with "The Button" and buy something else. Too bad, I really like the looks of it. 

Edited by alexndr

48 minutes ago, alexndr said:

Yesterday the button was behaving bad again. Not every click is picked up. Some of the clicks will according to the web GUI do nothing while some will make "Transfer OK" or "Device is awake" flash by. 

I think I will give up with "The Button" and buy something else. Too bad, I really like the looks of it. 

@ alexndr: Did you try the battery already?

Just now, samuel said:

@ alexndr: Did you try the battery already?

New battery? No. You're right. I should probably try that first. 

SAFT 3.6 V worked for me

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2017_10/S_lithium_ls14250_2028.jpg.7e8129b6dfa72f2d275aa6d0eaea459e.jpg" alt="S_lithium_ls14250_2028.jpg.7e8129b6dfa72f2d275aa6d0eaea459e.jpg" />

2 minutes ago, samuel said:

SAFT 3.6 V worked for me

Please login or register to see this link.

I just have the ones called "EVE" that came with the button ..  

Might wel be. Even in my webgui before it shows that battery was full. but didn't do the job, maybe when you press the button that it draws so much current that its not able to sent the data at the distance from button to HC2. What I tried was to put the button closer to the controller and check again,if it works better.

1 minute ago, samuel said:

Might wel be. Even in my webgui before it shows that battery was full. but didn't do the job, maybe when you press the button that it draws so much current that its not able to sent the data at the distance from button to HC2. What I tried was to put the button closer to the controller and check again,if it works better.

I will try to move it closer to the HC2 as well. If that works better I guess there is something wrong with The Button. Like any other Z-wav devices it should be able to communicate with our devices, not just the main controller. 

from the manual

Wake up interval (battery mode)

Available settings: 0 or 3600-64800 (in seconds, 1h – 18h)
    Default setting: (only manual wake up)

The Button will wake up at each defined time interval and always try to connect with the main controller. Longer wake up time interval means less frequent communication and thus a longer battery life.

After successful communication attempt, the device will update configuration parameters, associations and settings and then will go into Z-Wave communication standby.

After failed communication attempt (eg. no Z-Wave range) the device will go into Z-Wave communication standby and retry to establish connection with the main controller after the next time interval. < not stated that it sent its info through the mesh network

Setting wake up interval to 0 disables sending Wake Up notification to the controller automatically. Wake up may be still performed manually by clicking the Button 4 times.

Please login or register to see this link.

Estimated battery life with device added once, default settings, direct range and maximum 10 pushes per day is 2 years.  < direct range! if it works