Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Support for AEOTEC HEM GEN5 ZWave+

melomaan

Question

Hi all,

does anyone of moderators have a clue when can we expect support for Aeotec Hem Gen5, as  I understand "some" people have one and with several betas it has not got support...

I have been asking several times from our distributor in country, but no deadlines are presented :P .

Since it is one of a kind of equipment and in several cases of home automation does not have an alternative, can Fibaro please be so kind and in include the support for it in next release. :)

On 06/10/2017 at 11:59 AM, T.Konopka said:

@jakub.jezek, seriously? Fibaro is suppose to tell you how you should update devices made by third party manufacturer? I apologize, but I completely do not follow this way of thinking.

You can contact them, but, in my opinion, it is Aeon Labs responsibility to make the update available for their users. You contacting Fibaro may not be enough as you are not a Aeon Labs representative.

T.Konopka obviously, Fibaro is not responsible for updates of third party products, thats true. But dont get too upset, because in the first place this conversation would not happen if Fibaro would support Z-Wave product as it should, right. Fibaro already supports another Z-Wave power meters, so I believe because of this it is supposed to support all the divices of the same kind, which means this power meter should be supported BECAUSE IT IS Z-WAVE and any update of the firmware should not be needed to get the device work with HC2 Z-Wave controller in its basic functionality, which is in this case power metering.

I dont understand why you think your answer was ANY HELP to the comunity. I believe your forum is place, where your customers are looking for answers about system. But many times your customers are actually more help than the support itselves. 

I have the same problem with the client as @jakup.jezek and you need to understand, if the selling point of fibaro is its interoperability with other Z-Wave products, there is no explanation why this Z-Wave control center does not supper this Z-Wave product. So just lets find a solution together and not get upset.

Edited by HomeSystem.sk

• Inquirer
  • 2 minutes ago, HomeSystem.sk said:

T.Konopka obviously, Fibaro is not responsible for updates of third party products, thats true. But dont get too upset, because in the first place this conversation would not happen if Fibaro would support Z-Wave product as it should, right. Fibaro already supports another Z-Wave power meters, so I believe because of this it is supposed to support all the divices of the same kind, which means this power meter should be supported BECAUSE IT IS Z-WAVE and any update of the firmware should not be needed to get the device work with HC2 Z-Wave controller in its basic functionality, which is in this case power metering.

I dont understand why you think your answer was ANY HELP to the comunity. I believe your forum is place, where your customers are looking for answers about system. But many times your customers are actually more help than the support itselves. 

I have the same problem with the client as @jakup.jezek and you need to understand, if the selling point of fibaro is its interoperability with other Z-Wave products, there is no explanation why this Z-Wave control center does not supper this Z-Wave product. So just lets find a solution together and not get upset.

Hi to all of you who are following this post.

I do agree/disagree with all parties, it is not Fibaros fault or it is not equipment producers like Aeotec's fault - that's life - someone understands things a little bit different and produces hardware/firmware or controller OP system set differently, I am not to judge or to find out where is mistake - where is 0 instead of 1 or vice verca. Anyone is doing that is their best intentions - I'll hope... (If repairs are available like firmware update, please use it instead of forcing people to buy next controller and raise a possibility to go over to next controller - of course thats another theme.)

However, the end user and middle man: "the seller" is on hit on every f*****g case -not working - refund/pay fees.

As jakub.jezek told he can raise up conversation between Fibaro and Aeotec to get OTA update communication for HC2 for Aeotec HEM Gen5 (it is OTA update for device not system update), I think if Fibaro is afraid to send an email, Jakub can send an email that Aeotec will send an email to Fibaro regarding OTA update, it is childich but can be arranged, I guess.

I understand that Fibaro does have heavy load on updating/developing better sytem for us, but anyway someone from company can make some small e-mail conversation directly to Aeotec to make out OTA update for the concerned device for HCL/HC2.

I'll understand that every equipment producer is batteling over the market with everyone else who do make similar products, but the happy end user/reseller should come first and everything else second... bad experience is told to 20, good one to 2, same applies to all resellers. Most of world is going for quality not quantaty.

The Hem gen5 is out over a year for my knowledge and we do not have anything else to substitute for it as old gen-s are sold out and not produced any more, so there has been a lot of time for two big companies to find common goal... or share point al least.

I'll still find after several years that Fibaro HC2 is the best for me and my clients. But  with an attitude of "our worries are big and yours are ..." is not for my liking, maby it is just communication/growing error, I'll hope.

Fibaro PLEASE LISTEN to your sellers/representatives, if possible please STOP making new version developments, release and adopt some "new" devices, fix even small bugs, you are ahead of others I think, you have some time. Sending an email or picking up a phone is not so hard or costly, if needed I and many of us can do it for you to make the system better and most of us pleased.

Sry for my bad english as it is not my main language...

Sry if I offended someone...just sad at the moment...

Hello, guys :)

Thank you all for your insight and feedback.

On 6.10.2017 at 12:04 PM, jakub.jezek said:

@T.Konopka, sorry my bad. I sometimes overreacting and behaving as End-Users (yes, they will behave like me in previous post, when i contact them about this).

Now i have to think, how to distribute update to my customers, that has new HEM, since old one (that actually worked) is no longer manufactured.

Nothing's wrong ;) It was not an overreaction :) To put it simply, Fibaro does not take any responsibility (on its own) for updating the devices of other parties. That's all in this case.

On 6.10.2017 at 12:04 PM, jakub.jezek said:

Or maybe there could be simillar approach like in Heatit v1.2. It reported same error and it was fixed by Fibaro, not Thermo Floor. @T.Konopka, how it was fixed in Heatit case? In Heatit case, it appeared after Heatit template release.

With heatit i received same error, like now with HEM.
    ID XYZ: No report was received for parameter A. The device might not have this parameter.

XYZ is device ID

A is parameter number

Can you give me the case number? I will check how it was handled so I will have an idea how to approach this :) - I checked the previous message of yours # 101628

13 hours ago, HomeSystem.sk said:

But dont get too upset, because in the first place this conversation would not happen if Fibaro would support Z-Wave product as it should, right. Fibaro already supports another Z-Wave power meters, so I believe because of this it is supposed to support all the divices of the same kind, which means this power meter should be supported BECAUSE IT IS Z-WAVE and any update of the firmware should not be needed to get the device work with HC2 Z-Wave controller in its basic functionality, which is in this case power metering.

No one got upset :) everything is fine ;)

Well, Fibaro Home Centers are Z-Wave gateway that offer control over Z-Wave devices. The system was created accordingly to standards of the Z-wave. So, just the theory... if a company releases a module: should the module be compatible with the already existing gateways on the market? Or should the gateways be adjusted to the module? Which way is simpler? :) I reacted to the idea of Fibaro being responsible for updating a module of other manufacturer.

It is hard to determine why a device does not work properly if it does not belong to the same company. We are aware and got used to that the company that offers a gateway and system will be always aimed at for any issues, but we are doing the best we can to provide the best system on market :)

Again, no one got upset :) And you are right! We should find a solution together!

12 hours ago, melomaan said:

As jakub.jezek told he can raise up conversation between Fibaro and Aeotec to get OTA update communication for HC2 for Aeotec HEM Gen5 (it is OTA update for device not system update), I think if Fibaro is afraid to send an email, Jakub can send an email that Aeotec will send an email to Fibaro regarding OTA update, it is childich but can be arranged, I guess.

I understand that Fibaro does have heavy load on updating/developing better sytem for us, but anyway someone from company can make some small e-mail conversation directly to Aeotec to make out OTA update for the concerned device for HCL/HC2.

That's the thing. The Aeotec should be the one to show that they care about making the update available for their customers. I am not saying that it is impossible for Fibaro to release the OTA update for the device, but come on.. if you have a PS4 and a game does not work properly - do you blame Sony and ask them to fix the game? Or do you contact the game's creators to fix it?

I'll understand that every equipment producer is batteling over the market with everyone else who do make similar products, but the happy end user/reseller should come first and everything else second... bad experience is told to 20, good one to 2, same applies to all resellers. Most of world is going for quality not quantaty.

That's exactly why we created the Forum, because we want to gather feedback and provide the quality the users expect to have :) We risk a lot in this kind of open communication, but we are willing to take the risk in order to have aforementioned feedback.

I'll still find after several years that Fibaro HC2 is the best for me and my clients. But  with an attitude of "our worries are big and yours are ..." is not for my liking, maby it is just communication/growing error, I'll hope.

Fibaro PLEASE LISTEN to your sellers/representatives, if possible please STOP making new version developments, release and adopt some "new" devices, fix even small bugs, you are ahead of others I think, you have some time. Sending an email or picking up a phone is not so hard or costly, if needed I and many of us can do it for you to make the system better and most of us pleased.

Sry for my bad english as it is not my main language...

Sry if I offended someone...just sad at the moment...

Your English is fine ;) Never apologize for using a second language! You did not offend anyone, I can assure you about that :)

See, we want to hear the worries of our users, even though the worries and complaints concern non-Fibaro devices. But, we cannot be held responsible for other manufacturers' devices - meaning that they should show initiative.

Thank you all for contribution in this thread ;) Should you have any questions, I'll be around :D

14 minutes ago, T.Konopka said:

Hello, guys :)

Thank you all for your insight and feedback.

Nothing's wrong ;) It was not an overreaction :) To put it simply, Fibaro does not take any responsibility (on its own) for updating the devices of other parties. That's all in this case.

Can you give me the case number? I will check how it was handled so I will have an idea how to approach this :) - I checked the previous message of yours # 101628

No one got upset :) everything is fine ;)

Well, Fibaro Home Centers are Z-Wave gateway that offer control over Z-Wave devices. The system was created accordingly to standards of the Z-wave. So, just the theory... if a company releases a module: should the module be compatible with the already existing gateways on the market? Or should the gateways be adjusted to the module? Which way is simpler? :) I reacted to the idea of Fibaro being responsible for updating a module of other manufacturer.

It is hard to determine why a device does not work properly if it does not belong to the same company. We are aware and got used to that the company that offers a gateway and system will be always aimed at for any issues, but we are doing the best we can to provide the best system on market :)

Again, no one got upset :) And you are right! We should find a solution together!

That's the thing. The Aeotec should be the one to show that they care about making the update available for their customers. I am not saying that it is impossible for Fibaro to release the OTA update for the device, but come on.. if you have a PS4 and a game does not work properly - do you blame Sony and ask them to fix the game? Or do you contact the game's creators to fix it?

That's exactly why we created the Forum, because we want to gather feedback and provide the quality the users expect to have :) We risk a lot in this kind of open communication, but we are willing to take the risk in order to have aforementioned feedback.

Your English is fine ;) Never apologize for using a second language! You did not offend anyone, I can assure you about that :)

See, we want to hear the worries of our users, even though the worries and complaints concern non-Fibaro devices. But, we cannot be held responsible for other manufacturers' devices - meaning that they should show initiative.

Thank you all for contribution in this thread ;) Should you have any questions, I'll be around :D

You see, this is my boy :) 

I know it is you to blame and it is not always your fault - I can simply point to Samsung plugin, Netatmo plugin,... And you are right, it usualy goes to you as a manufacturer of controller.

Sometimes thought, mostly when it comes to Qubino and Aeotec, people may think you take it too much as a competition and take time to support products - take the Aeotec RGBW bulb, qubino modules... Yes I understand, competition :) But believe me, from our point of view, it is not competition, it is a benefit of your system. It may be bad for your "exlusive distributors" as they sell only your products, but in any other reseller that is a strong selling point. We say it often - look, we have 300 products in our store and they all work together, not like the Loxone, Domotron, where you are stuck to one brand. 

Thats being said, I am really happy for your answer. The tricky thing is that usually, as someone said before, customers do not have another control center to upload firmware. It is a function of some of them (Popp hub, CIT, Aeotec USB, even the raspberry...) to upload from file. But I think this could be a point, when you maybe start thinking about simillar aproach. Home Center 2 is basically the most expensive control center (yes it is way better than the cheaper ones, I know) so it could have this funkcionality. Maybe some expert mode, which is hiden in the menu, so the customers would not touch it that often, but your distributors would know about it and would have the posibilities to remote access the HC2, enter the secret menu and do the update from file trick.

If you think about it, there is more and more Z-Wave devices every day now and I am sure you already have hands full of work to integrate all of them, and it wont get easier (or so we can hope for, it would mean the Z-Wave really grow). So this could basically solve your headache from some users (and from us too :D ) in some cases (take this one for example). 

Hi @T.Konopka,

I know you do not take any responsibility for 3rd party updates. But perhaps if v 1.03 will be working and somebody would send you an update. Then, is Fibaro able to update that device to functional version and with disclaimer, that you will update HEM only to that version? Could be written in RED collor and big sized. I'm ok, with that you have no responsibility over update for 3rd party devices, but devices like HEM (this type of device) seems to be only ones, that works everywhere, to meassure consumption.

We do not want regullary updates from Fibaro for Aeon Labs. We only want it working in HC.

In CZ market (@HomeSystem.sk can say probably the same for SK) people hear when you say to them you can monitor consumtion and it is wireless and you can adjust your home to lower it. So for customers it is saving money and for Dealers, Fibaro partners (distributors) and Fibaro it is raising income, because customer sometimes spread words about that. Sorry, i do not know much about sales, but this is how i feel it.

Now to Heatit similarity. Heatit v1.2 problem was introduced in Heatit template in 4.084 beta. I know that HEM gen.5 has generall template, but maybe approach could be the same.

Fix for Heatit v1.2 was introduced in v 4.101 beta. But i do not remember and cannot find case number, sorry.

19 minutes ago, HomeSystem.sk said:

Thats being said, I am really happy for your answer. The tricky thing is that usually, as someone said before, customers do not have another control center to upload firmware. It is a function of some of them (Popp hub, CIT, Aeotec USB, even the raspberry...) to upload from file. But I think this could be a point, when you maybe start thinking about simillar aproach. Home Center 2 is basically the most expensive control center (yes it is way better than the cheaper ones, I know) so it could have this funkcionality. Maybe some expert mode, which is hiden in the menu, so the customers would not touch it that often, but your distributors would know about it and would have the posibilities to remote access the HC2, enter the secret menu and do the update from file trick.

Well, that's an idea worth forwarding to the appropriate team :)

20 minutes ago, HomeSystem.sk said:

Yes I understand, competition :) But believe me, from our point of view, it is not competition, it is a benefit of your system. It may be bad for your "exlusive distributors" as they sell only your products, but in any other reseller that is a strong selling point. We say it often - look, we have 300 products in our store and they all work together, not like the Loxone, Domotron, where you are stuck to one brand.

That's right. It is a benefit to the system itself and a satisfied user it the one we want to have, but sometimes we have to have a realistic approach. We are open for cooperation, as always, but in this particular case it should be Aeotec to show initiative. Hopefully, you agree with me.

@jakub.jezek, I found the case and forwarded it :)

46 minutes ago, T.Konopka said:

That's right. It is a benefit to the system itself and a satisfied user it the one we want to have, but sometimes we have to have a realistic approach. We are open for cooperation, as always, but in this particular case it should be Aeotec to show initiative. Hopefully, you agree with me.

I agree with that.

I started some communication with Aeotec about they product not working properly in Fibaro HC2. Hopefully it will end up with good end (Aeotec comunicating with Fibaro).

Btw, if it is not secret, what type of file, Fibaro uses for updates? .hex, .bin or .ota? I maybe end up with some file for update :D for CIT.

Edited by jakub.jezek

• Inquirer
  • On 9.10.2017 at 2:17 PM, jakub.jezek said:

I agree with that.

I started some communication with Aeotec about they product not working properly in Fibaro HC2. Hopefully it will end up with good end (Aeotec comunicating with Fibaro).

Btw, if it is not secret, what type of file, Fibaro uses for updates? .hex, .bin or .ota? I maybe end up with some file for update :D for CIT.

Hi Jakub,

can you keep us posted about developments and maby ask Aeotec to keep us posted also and Fibaro can do the same thing and maby we can get a working solution and an good example for all parties benefit out of this situataion.

If we can go positively through with it all and get a positive solution, it can be "road building" for the future.

My 5 Cents...

Hello guys,

When they send me something usefull, i will post it here :D.

Since now, it's just update file, where i need Z-Stick :(. I hope i do not need use CIT for this. It's like going with cannon to hunt sparrow.

Edited by jakub.jezek
    updated

Hello guys,

Little update. Just discussing with Aeotec support parmeter setting, but i will be on bussiness trip and will have time at Wednesday, to make some testing.

I will have time to get access forum during bussiness trip. Can you help me speed up process then can you try set some parameters? And post here screenshot of parameters befor and after saving that settings?

Parameters to try:

• parameter 101, size 4 byte (4d) with value 4144911
    • parameter 111, size 4 byte (4d) with value 240

• Inquirer
  • 3 hours ago, jakub.jezek said:

Hello guys,

Little update. Just discussing with Aeotec support parmeter setting, but i will be on bussiness trip and will have time at Wednesday, to make some testing.

I will have time to get access forum during bussiness trip. Can you help me speed up process then can you try set some parameters? And post here screenshot of parameters befor and after saving that settings?

Parameters to try:

• parameter 101, size 4 byte (4d) with value 4144911
    • parameter 111, size 4 byte (4d) with value 240

Hi,

do you mean with initial firmware or after upgrade? FW 1.1 gives the same result as discussed before.

Just now, melomaan said:

Hi,

do you mean with initial firmware or after upgrade? FW 1.1 gives the same result as discussed before.

Yes, with initial firmware. Aeon wants screenshots. Mine will be made on Wednesday when i get to an office.

• Inquirer
  • 5 minutes ago, jakub.jezek said:

Yes, with initial firmware. Aeon wants screenshots. Mine will be made on Wednesday when i get to an office.

Ok, here it comes:

Please login or register to see this attachment.

IMG before save.

Text answer from Hc2:

[12:20:45] ID 810: Set parameter 101, value = 4144911
    [12:20:45] ID 810: Set parameter 111, value = 240
    [12:20:55] ID 810: No report was received for parameter 101. The device might not have this parameter.
    [12:21:06] ID 810: No report was received for parameter 111. The device might not have this parameter.

IMG after save.

Heh, i just connected brand new HEM and parameter settings works. @melomaan, i send your screenshots and your HC2 report to Aeon Labs. Now we have to wait for their reaction.

Sadly, i do not have device with firmware version lower than 1.03.

• Inquirer
  • 22 minutes ago, jakub.jezek said:

Heh, i just connected brand new HEM and parameter settings works. @melomaan, i send your screenshots and your HC2 report to Aeon Labs. Now we have to wait for their reaction.

Sadly, i do not have device with firmware version lower than 1.03.

I am still stuck with 1.1 without possibility to upgrade OTA at the moment... As I understand from previous posts update to 1.3 resolves issues...

1 minute ago, melomaan said:

I am still stuck with 1.1 without possibility to upgrade OTA at the moment... As I understand from previous posts update to 1.3 resolves issues...

HEM shows me version 1.2 in web UI.

Hello guys,

So some update here.

I'm still communicating with Aeotec and they now waiting for their HC2, that is now in hands of Fibaro service team.

I have got confirmation, that EU version of HEM gen5 3 Phases 4 wires had some issue (i think it is in v1.01 only) where device did not send AssociationGroupInformation correctly. Update would solve that issue.

But i have an idea. If it send send AssociationGroupInformation incorrectly. Maybe unset Association group 1 with fibaro folowed by deleting Association group 1 and then readding Association group 1 set to Home Center ID (id 1) will help and create stable channel for sending/receiving data between HC and HEM5 which could end up in functional HEM in HC.

But it is theory only.

My problems.

HEM 5 three phase energy meter version 1.2.

HCL version 4.140

1. Totaly impossible to get configured.
    2. Total kWh and the sum of the phases dont add up.
    3. Energy usage only report sporadically on the three phases, but it works for the totel kW. Report interval is set to 180 sec.

Hi @Henrik J,

I was able to fawlessly set Aeotec HEM 3P4W version 1.2 without any issue. Did you use Aeotec calculator to calculate parameter values?

Sollution from Aeotec (with Excel file calculator):

Please login or register to see this link.