Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

FGT-001 The Heat Controller (Radiator Thermostat)

eGuard

Question

Hi Guys,

So i am looking at the FGT-001 Radiator Thermostat to expand my home automation system and it has left me with some questions:

1) Is it suitable for floorheating?

2) Can the charger for the internal battery always be connected as the FGT-001 would be mounted in an impossible place

3) On each level i have the Fibaro smoke sensor which i plan to use as Temperature sensor. But there is also an optional bluetooth sensor available. As I am also looking for a solution to measure outdoor temperature, my question would be if these could also be used outdoor?

Thanks for the help!

Hello @eGuard,

1. If it is possible to install it in horizontal, then i do not see issue there. -> I assume horizontal because it seems to be very simmilar to Danfoss in terms of functioning.
  2. That is unknown to me. Only people from Fibaro know the answer. -> Too soon to ask this one.
  3. I think sensor for Fibaro radiator thermostat is not useable int the outdoor. -> Too soon to ask this one too.

Hi @eGuard,

1) Our Radiator Thermostat can be used with most radiators which use thermostatic heads. If there is enough place to install our radiator thermostat then your good to go. Additionally, these are the valves supported by our product: M30 x 1.5, Danfoss RT-N (with an adapter), Danfoss RA-N (with an adapter).

2) During charging the LED ring will pulse red and valve control will be disabled. So you can plug in the cable, etc. but you cannot turn on the power on the other side of this cable because while charging, our radiator thermostat will not be operational.

3) This additional temperature sensor cannot be put outside. 

@jakub.jezek,

It is still best to wait for some official advertisement of this product because many questions arise from lack of knowledge. Our Radiator Thermostat is a highly advanced device, which has abilities to learn about certain parameters and we shouldn't fiddle with it too much (example of constant charging) because it may mislead software calibration.

Edited by I.Srodka

• Inquirer
  • @I.Srodka and @jakub.jezekThanks for the feedback.

2) perhaps it would be possible to use a wall plug to on/off the charging for the hard to reach places.

I do understand your point about the advertisement. However on the other hand, you give information to the stores which are already offering it for sale (delivery next week). If the stores are pushing and promoting this item, they should also have the information on hand to answer the questions that could arise.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, I.Srodka said:

It is still best to wait for some official advertisement of this product because many questions arise from lack of knowledge. Our Radiator Thermostat is a highly advanced device, which has abilities to learn about certain parameters and we shouldn't fiddle with it too much (example of constant charging) because it may mislead software calibration.

@I.Srodka,That is why i wrote in point number 2:"That is unknown for me. Only people from Fibaro know the answer." Because i did not knew the answer for this. But thanks for explanation. We will probably add it to device desc. where customers know.

To point number 3. That is my guess :D. From pictures and info from people visiting IFA, it does not seems to be outside temp. sensor. I'm glad i was right.

Edited by jakub.jezek

• Inquirer
  • @jakub.jezek i was thinking two birds, one stone :)  There are not so many temperature sensors for outoor available. Yes PIR or Doorsensor with such. But i just want to know the temperature outside at ground level and higher level without having to open the door/window :) 

Just now, eGuard said:

@jakub.jezek i was thinking two birds, one stone :)  There are not so many temperature sensors for outoor available. Yes PIR or Doorsensor with such. But i just want to know the temperature outside at ground level and higher level without having to open the door/window :) 

Then RGBW module and 2 outdoor temp sensors (0-10V) are perfect for this.

9 minutes ago, eGuard said:

2) perhaps it would be possible to use a wall plug to on/off the charging for the hard to reach places.

That's a good idea of course, but still, a fully charged battery should allow it to run for one year (one winter and some).

9 minutes ago, eGuard said:

I do understand your point about the advertisement. However on the other hand, you give information to the stores which are already offering it for sale (delivery next week). If the stores are pushing and promoting this item, they should also have the information on hand to answer the questions that could arise.

That's why I'm answering your questions, to give you necessary information :-)

Edited by I.Srodka

@I.Srodka, about charging of radiator thermostat? Did you tested charging with Powerbank? Not everywhere is wall plug next to radiator and i do not want to have a long extension cord for charging those. Even for 1 day per year.

• Inquirer
  • @I.Srodka one year is a long time, but one distributor is in the garage, in the far end, boxes on top of the housing. Another one deep in the stair closet, also with loads of stuff surrounding it. That's why it would be handy to just set and leave.

@jakub.jezek to use the RGB module with sensor could be an option. But i would need 2 modules, need to drill holes from inside to outside, make it neat inside, don't mess up the house to keep the wife happy. So perhaps i'd better glue a pir to the wall ;) faster and cleaner option.

2 minutes ago, I.Srodka said:

@jakub.jezek,

Charging with a powerbank should work just fine (just don't put it on a warm radiator)!

Then it is great. I have window near every radiator :D, where i can put powerbank.

Edited by jakub.jezek

On 21-9-2017 at 1:35 PM, I.Srodka said:

That's a good idea of course, but still, a fully charged battery should allow it to run for one year (one winter and some).

Hi @I.Srodka,

is there any indication (LED) on that valve, when the battery shoul'd be charged? How can user know when to charge the battery?

On 9/29/2017 at 1:37 PM, Bodyart said:

Hi @I.Srodka,

is there any indication (LED) on that valve, when the battery shoul'd be charged? How can user know when to charge the battery?

By using Battery Check scene of course :-) Not really tested because I don't have one yet, but it is Fibaro Thermostat ready. 

Allright @Sankotronic guru,

Ofcourse I do believe in your beautiful scene and am using it since version 1.0, but i like to hear from Fibaro their statement :-)

Some indication shoul'd be there for the users not using your scene and for HCL :-)

Edited by Bodyart

These valves look amazing! Hopefully they're prices competitively and  I can convince my wife to let me replace our existing ones.

59 minutes ago, matt1981 said:

Hopefully they're prices competitively

fibaro don't have to compete on price level, there are lot of features which didn't exists on other "similar" products. 

• Like 1

Hello!

We're very glad that you are excited about our new product. However, documentation is not ready yet to be made public. 

Please stay tuned!

@Bodyart, as far as battery status is considered, I will leave just this excerpt here:

When battery is low the LED ring will start to blink red. The device will also report low battery status of itself and external temperature sensor (if paired) to the controller.

To charge the battery:

1. Connect charger to the micro-USB port.

2. During charging the LED ring will pulse red and valve control will be disabled.

3. When LED starts pulsing green, disconnect the charger.

4. The device will restore its previous operation.

Moreover, until the official release please don't post the manual here.

Edited by I.Srodka

You can always buy a wall-plug from fibaro and mount a socket nearby the radiator. plug in the wall-plug and the radiator charger and make a scene which detect when the radiator battery is almost empty, then this will turn on the wall plug and in this way the radiator value will be charge,. turn off after a certain time!

or connected a powerbank with a cable to the radiator value so the radiator value will charge its battery.