Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

HomeKit via software authentication?

northyorks

@chaicka you took the words out of my mouth :) well said and very very true.  The Nokia . Motorola comparison was the cherry on the top - for those who know the history of what happened there.  For those who don't;  in a nutshell : they failed to embrace new technologies and failed to be on the first line (business model was "what we do is great, we are no 1 so we know best").  When they finally tried to get back up there it was already to late. Never recovered.

• Like 2

Another innovative addition from Philips by allowing their Homekit devices to kick off scenes. I can now use (with Homebridge), my Hue Tap to kick off scenes on my HC2. Would be far better if HC2 was a native HomeKit gateway so scenes could be controlled directly. You need to keep up with this @Fibaro;)

Please login or register to see this link.

Edited by Cameleon

On 02/10/2017 at 1:19 AM, Momos said:

@chaicka you took the words out of my mouth :) well said and very very true.  The Nokia . Motorola comparison was the cherry on the top - for those who know the history of what happened there.  For those who don't;  in a nutshell : they failed to embrace new technologies and failed to be on the first line (business model was "what we do is great, we are no 1 so we know best").  When they finally tried to get back up there it was already to late. Never recovered.

@Momos, very well said and summarised up in nutshell the great failures of that era. Just throwing a bit more to it...Samsung contributed to the great fall of Nokia indirectly (on the hardware and aesthetic sectors but never the software layer).

7 hours ago, Cameleon said:

Another innovative addition from Philips by allowing their Homekit devices to kick off scenes. I can now use (with Homebridge), my Hue Tap to kick off scenes on my HC2. Would be far better if HC2 was a native HomeKit gateway so scenes could be controlled directly. You need to keep up with this @Fibaro;)

Philips does not have HomeKit devices. What they have are ZigBee devices which are able to bridge to HomeKit (via the Hue Bridge). None of those Philips devices can directly 'talk' to HomeKit (be it Apple TV 4 or later, or iOS devices). In my humble opinion, any device that cannot talk direct to HomeKit without having its own hub or bridge is not a HomeKit device.

Fibaro is already a step towards that direction with its true HomeKit devices (CO Sensor, Motion Sensor, Flood Sensor, Single Switch, Door/Window Sensor). The 'Fibaro HomeKit' app is not the solution but just a stop gap / transition phase which will never be well received. @Fibaro, push forward to be the ultimate bridging between Z-wave and HomeKit. You are in a better position than some Z-Wave competitors. The last mile is just to have a form of Home Center which is powerful enough to have the complex computing of Z-wave scenes yet the simplicity and interactive of HomeKit. This formula will be formidable to compete with the ZigBee+HomeKit pushed by major consumer appliance makers out there.

Edited by chaicka
  • Like 1

On 04/10/2017 at 5:24 PM, chaicka said:

Philips does not have HomeKit devices. What they have are ZigBee devices which are able to bridge to HomeKit (via the Hue Bridge). None of those Philips devices can directly 'talk' to HomeKit (be it Apple TV 4 or later, or iOS devices). In my humble opinion, any device that cannot talk direct to HomeKit without having its own hub or bridge is not a HomeKit device.

OK fair point, it's not a pure/true Homekit device but a very close model to HC2 acting as a gateway to Homekit and other devices. Fibaro is in a very good position here to be able to implement a bridge between the very powerful and useful HC2 with Z-wave possibilities and ease of use of Homekit. Pure Homekit doesn't have anywhere near the power of HC2 in terms of flexibility and I like many would love to be able to package up logic in it that can be triggered from the simplicity that is Homekit :D

• Like 1

On 09/10/2017 at 6:37 PM, Cameleon said:

OK fair point, it's not a pure/true Homekit device but a very close model to HC2 acting as a gateway to Homekit and other devices. Fibaro is in a very good position here to be able to implement a bridge between the very powerful and useful HC2 with Z-wave possibilities and ease of use of Homekit. Pure Homekit doesn't have anywhere near the power of HC2 in terms of flexibility and I like many would love to be able to package up logic in it that can be triggered from the simplicity that is Homekit :D

Bingo...You have articulated what I am feeling so strongly about Fibaro is in a good position to have a big big foot into the future of Home Automation if it can come up with a good bridging between HC2 (Z-Wave) and HomeKit. It will put a good fight against those ZigBee smart solutions (perhaps not so smart at all since most are actually just app-invoking, no real automation/intelligence on its own).

Fibaro+HomeKit = Big Chance as Winner. Timing is of essence...

• 1 month later...

HC2 pretending to be a HomeKit bridge device would be cool for conrroling favorite devices with iphone and for Siri voice control.

This is great thing FIBARO must implement for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

I think adding Siri support to their Z-Wave line would cannibalize their HomeKit modules sales.

It would be great to control Z-Wave with Siri but I doubt we will see this solution soon.

12 minutes ago, IGI said:

I think adding Siri support to their Z-Wave line would cannibalize their HomeKit modules sales.

It would be great to control Z-Wave with Siri but I doubt we will see this solution soon.

Dont see why, 2 quite different markets. Pure HomeKit devices will be for people who are totally bought into Apple and only want fairly simplistic automation that is offered in iOS/HomeKit. HC2 will continue to be fully fledged HA option with the added benefit of being able to trigger/monitor/etc the HC2 from HomeKit much like we do with Homebridge.

If anything it could bolster sales. Assuming Apple users get the Homekit native devices and then decide they want more from HA, they see HC2 as an extension to the system and enables them to do more complicated HA tasks but keep the simplicity of Homekit at the same time. Win/win in this situation. And all it requires is a bit of effort developing a plugin. 

Actually, the Apple HomeKit devices are mostly just a toys. BLE powered devices are not for real life. If anyone had such BLE devices (like smartwatches, speakers, etc etc) they are all not stable connection. Randomely disconnects/unpairs. I have to pair my watches 3 times already, and bt speaker  N times :)

To be able to connect HomeKit devices to FIBARO - have no sense. The most attractive is to control FIABRO connected Z-wave devices by Siri and/or Home app (which is very usable endeed)

I hope FIBARO will make a move before enthusiasts solved this ;) 

Its very likely we will see HC2 with homebridge+hc2 plugin running on it, but im afraid HCL will not. Too less RAM for ~12Mb nodejs file.

May be using ext2 as rootfs will release some free RAM, but this will require complete repartitioning :( 

• Like 1

For the interest I have compiled nodejs (which is required for homebridge) for HCL (ARM CortexA8 CPU) with modules: homebridge, homebridge-fibaro-hc2, homebridge-server, homebridge-people, homebridge-timer

The nodejs binary size is ~12Mb

The node_modules size ~86Mb

So, HCL's 128Mb of storage (which is almost full) is definately not enough

• Like 1

I too feel strongly that Fibaro MUST bridge the HC2 to Homekit.

There are multiple reasons that many here have articulated concisely, not requiring another post parroting about the benefits. 

The user base of apple users is significantly larger than Fibaro's own. Apple users who start off with using the native Homekit devices will have a natural upgrade path if they decide to enhance their Smarthome sophistication by moving over to Fibaro Z-Wave. Fibaro is going to capture markets of both casual users native homekit and Z-wave.... just by being able to bridge via software. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
Guest Sander

@Fibaro any update on this? The iOS 11.3 update which features HomeKit software authentication is almost there! Can we expect the next HC2 firmware to include this?

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is what you´re looking for: 

Doubt Fibaro will create a HomekitBridge until they have a new Home Centre available. Silicon Labs (sigma designs) will in the future prefare Z-Wave manufakturers to use Silicon Labs Z/IP and ZWare as a basis for developing new gateways. At this years European Z-Wave Alliance Summit in Amsterdam Silicon Labs said that there will be a part in the next SDK that enabløes gateway developers to implement a fully licensed, from Apple,   Homekit Briudge. Hopefully Fibaro is designing the next HC around the official SDK from Silicon Labs. (HC2 is most deffinetly not designed this way)

• Thanks 1