Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Fibaro treat users as lab rats

Sankotronic

• Topic Author
  • 5 minutes ago, petergebruers said:

Hi! I like your style! I'm not being sarcastic, I really mean that.

For me, it is not about implementing the reboot. That is OK. I like the reboot after location change. No, that is not true, it can be dealt with, without a reboot but for a manual change a reboot it is acceptable.

For me, it is all about COMMUNICATION. If you implement such a silent reboot, can they please add this at the top of the release notes:

"WARNING! Possible BREAKING CHANGE! Setting the location via browser interface of API causes an immediate reboot. This is intentional. Please check your scripts if you use this feature before updating. If your calls the API after a reboot, your unit will end up in a reboot loop. Please contact support to fix this issue."

Regarding drift... I understand what you are saying, but I do not know how other users experienced this drift. But let me explain mine. I often debug scripts on my PC. If that script is time sensitive, I sometimes notice 1 or 2 minutes difference between both system. That is when I manually intervene. So I would say that time sync on the HC is not correct. I guess it is about 2 minutes per month. That is the expected accuracy of a crystal oscillator, it is not a defect per se. So my educated guess is they did not correctly implement NTP. If the system syncs at boot, and you reboot once per month, you might never notice 1 or 2 minutes.

Servers, routers or PCs running Linux or Windows do not reboot to sync time. That would be hilarious...

Hi @petergebruers,

Thank you! That is exactly my point! 

Edited by Sankotronic

It is a pity this has happened. I think they were doing a really good job. For instance, last months they were very active on the forum. Compare the release notes with those from last year. Also stability of the betas was OK. Even commercials are better than 5 years ago. Hopefully they can continue the good work...

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, petergebruers said:

For me, it is all about COMMUNICATION. If you implement such a silent reboot, can they please add this at the top of the release notes:

@petergebruers

For me this is also the main issue.. we have very little input/influence over the software development process and I'm okay with this (I'm a scrum product owner myself) but as end users we should be informed on the output. Our change log isn't perfect when we have a new release but break/fix and breaking changes are always front and center and we aim to improve communication with each cycle. It should be a reasonably easy for fibaro to improve this and I hope they do improve this as it would make things easier for us all..

Edited by AutoFrank

Hi @petergebruers,

I'm very happy to read your contributions focussing on positive points, making us optimistic :-)

Your clear, rational and well educated contributions bring the things in realistic proportions.

Thank you!

Edited by Bodyart

8 hours ago, Sankotronic said:

Hi @jakub.jezek,

You didn't get the main point! Main point is that Fibaro just doesn't tell the truth about changes to the firmware! When this kind of "feature" is introduced then it must be in the change log list! Also there is no list of know issues and workarounds which will be expected for the device that is very personal and is controlling our homes!

This is just an incomplete statement. Can you please elaborate what is so great about this "reboot" when time or time zone is adjusted? Will you have same opinion if Microsoft introduce same forced reboot "feature" to their Windows, so you have to reboot OS every time just to adjust clock?

I agree no more. I’ve never saw any Operating System need to have reboot after an NTP change. Why don’t you stop and restart the NTP service instead of a full reboot of the HC2?

I’m glad that my car or airplanes don’t use Fibaro as an OS :D

Edited by Sjekke

Hi,

I agree that such a behaviour as a forced reboot should definitely be included in a change log. It directly affects the expected service of the product.

I've been using another Z-wave gateway during the summer as my HC2 broke down in June. It was quickly repaired by the Fibaro team, excellent service by the way! When I got some time over I will move over the devices to the HC2.

During these month with the other gateway, I have some experiences so I can compare them with Fibaro. When it comes to Release Notes, Fibaro is way better (but with that said, Fibaro *should* have noted this forced reboot). With the other gateway provider, release notes for betas was totally non-existent. They only releases Release notes for stable firmware. Support where fairly quick to answer, but the answers where so-so from time to time. Sometimes no answer at all.

All in all, the HC2 is also much more stable than the other providers solution. I do like functions of the other providers solution, it's nice UI, tablet type etc., but with it I always walk around waiting for something to happen, a OS crash, an error in the service etc. With the HC2 I felt more safe, it was more stable.

I hope you stay with the HC2, Sankotronic. I might be a bit selfish here, but your contribution to us users here are one of the main reasons I'm going back to the HC2. Your scenes and VD's and great coding and documentation are excellent. And you also help out a lot here. Many more users also contribute here, and I'm also very grateful for all their contributions.

Thank you all,

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • 59 minutes ago, robw said:

I hope you stay with the HC2, Sankotronic. I might be a bit selfish here, but your contribution to us users here are one of the main reasons I'm going back to the HC2. Your scenes and VD's and great coding and documentation are excellent. And you also help out a lot here. Many more users also contribute here, and I'm also very grateful for all their contributions.

Hi @robw,

and thank you for kind words. I'm impulsive person and sometimes I get frustrated but I invested a big amount of time and money into Fibaro HA and write already tens thousands lines of code to so easily quit.

Besides I just can't stop be optimist when our good fairy @petergebruers always find a way to bring optimism back! :-) 

Peter, you are bright light on this forum that will always cast away darkness and ignorance, specially with your "clear, rational and well educated contributions" to quote @Bodyart well written words! THANK YOU!!

Please login or register to see this attachment.

@Sankotronic, I'm glad to see the light hasn't been completely extinguished ...

Edited by AutoFrank

Thank's @Sankotronic! As another great member wrote in the post above this one, keep the light on :)

Hello,

We admit that we made a mistake by not informing about this particular change in release notes. Your feedback shows that it should be definitely included in changelog. We apologize for that and we will work hard to improve the communication between Fibaro and users. @Sankotronic, thank you for pointing that out. We hope that from now on the communication only improve.

The team will include introduced changes that they think can be vital from user's point of view. Then, I will gather feedback about new version. If users point out any other changes worth mentioning then the changes will be included them in next stable release. Let's say that this is our first approach to improve communication. Hopefully, this is satisfying for now.

When it comes to the issue itself, I explained here:

that this is the first step in solving the issue with time drift. We stand by this statement. We are working on it and hopefully we will release a version of software that will correct it very, very soon.

Of course, I encourage any of you to give us any feedback that can improve communication. I strive to create a great means of communication but, frankly, without your ideas and insights it may be impossible. :)

Thanks @T.Konopka

I think that improved communications will definitely benefit all.

If we (if I may speak for the forum users) can review changes or help in any way please let us know

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, T.Konopka said:

Hello,

We admit that we made a mistake by not informing about this particular change in release notes. Your feedback shows that it should be definitely included in changelog. We apologize for that and we will work hard to improve the communication between Fibaro and users. @Sankotronic, thank you for pointing that out. We hope that from now on the communication only improve.

Hi @T.Konopka,

Thank you for reacting and apologies accepted. We are all here to help each other and will continue to do so! I will also try harder to give more feedback on my findings.

• Like 1

On 24-9-2017 at 6:07 PM, Sankotronic said:

Hi @rvelthoen,

That is really, really great to hear that your HC has no problems with time drifting! Can you please share which NTP server did you set on your HC2.

BTW on what firmware version is your HC2 at the moment?

On 24-9-2017 at 6:07 PM, Sankotronic said:

@petergebruers

I use de.pool.ntp.org on 41.40, no timeproblems.

• Topic Author
  • 3 minutes ago, rvelthoen said:

I use de.pool.ntp.org on 41.40, no timeproblems.

Hi @rvelthoen,

Thank you for answering. On previous firmware versions I did try other NTP serves but time was still drifting for about 3 minutes back in 30 days. Now on 4.140 still the same, few seconds back in just 16 hours uptime.