Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

How to setup heating, multi zone, using Danfoss

EL50N

Question

Hi

Im confused on how to setup multi zone heating and whether I can actually achieve what I want with the kit I have! 

Ultimately I want each room to have its own set temperature during different points of the day, if all rooms are at target temperature then the boiler switches off, if any rooms fall below target temperature the boiler turns on. 

I have the following in each room:

Danfoss Rad valve

Fibaro motion sensor

On the boiler I have a relay fitted. 

Im not really too sure where to even start with setting this up, so any pointers would be greatly appreciated. 

Also do the Danfoss devices control the temperature of the radiator on their own, without set up? I.e. if my living room valve is set to 20c and the room is 21 then the Danfoss closes the valve, once it drops to 19 it opens again. 

Also can you set the danfoss' to have a different temperature at different points of the day through the heating panel? I.e. kids playroom 08:00 - 19:00 @ 22c outside of these time 16c

An idiots guide to setting up heating would be appreciated!

Edited by EL50N

7 answers to this question

I have only tried in the very beginning with the built in heating panel and considered it as not so well usable, so I created my own VD with scenes. Check the cookbook to give you some idea, based on that almost everything should be possible.

Find what? the cookbook? see my signature line, there it is.

What I forgot. Yes the valves are keeping the temperature even without the master, the set temperature is kept.

• Inquirer
  • Thanks mate, I’m viewing on a mobile so I can’t see any signature. I’ll login with my laptop later and take a look.

thanks. 

• Inquirer
  • 9 hours ago, kunoch said:

see my signature line, there it is.

ok cool, I now have it! Ive quickly read through, I'm totally confused but I'll see how I get on! Despite having loads of it installed for a year I've not really touched it! I have a couple of lights auto come on and off, thats it!

Thanks for your help. 

Hi @EL50N

I have a very similar setup to you with Danfoss LC-13s plus a Fibaro motion/multi sensor in each room.  The setpoint temperatures on the Danfoss valves are controlled via the Heating Panel.  Simply create a panel for each room, and then assign that panel to the room via the Edit Rooms button. 

The only thing that you then need to worry about is turning the boiler on and off.  For that I use a 'Call for Heat' scene.  This looks at the temperature (measured by the sensor) in each room and compares it with the desired target temperature that is set on the valves.  If it is within a certain threshold below the target temperature, for any of the rooms, then it turns on the boiler.  If all of the rooms have reached the target temperature, then the boiler is turned off.

You're right in saying that the valves will close up once the room has reached the target temperature, and open again once it drops below that temperature.  However, with the LC13s, they don't report the room temperature or the valve opening percentage back to the HC2, so it's a bit difficult to know exactly what is going on.  It is also why we need a separate sensor to measure the room temperature.  But note that if the valve is set to 20C, and the room temperature is, let's say, 19C, then the valve won't necessarily open fully.  I don't know for sure, but they seem to trying to prevent overshoot, so will only partially open the valve in this situation.  This has the effect of leaving the boiler on for longer, as well as taking longer for the room to warm up. 

However, one of the important things to ensure is that the Fibaro sensor is accurately measuring the temperature in line with the Danfoss valves.  What you don't want to happen is that the sensor is under reading the temperature, but the valves think that the room has already reached the target temperature.  In this situation, the valves will close up but the boiler will stay on because the sensor thinks that the room isn't up to temperature.  You can adjust the temperature offset in the sensors' configuration settings, and it might be worth setting them up so that they report a slightly higher temperature than actual.

This is the Call for Heat scene that I use:

Please login or register to see this code.

You will need to change the line that identifies your boiler relay id:

Please login or register to see this code.

I use a Secure SSR302 boiler switch, which operates with the 'setMode' instruction.  Your relay might be different, so you might need to adjust the instructions accordingly.

You might need to change the sensors' settings so that they report back to the HC2 whenever there is a 0.1C change in temperature.  This will allow the scene to control the boiler more accurately.

Note that this scene is triggered by a timer scene, to run every five minutes.  If you don't already have one of these, then you can install this one 

Please login or register to see this link.

.  Sankotronic also has a sophisticated timer scene which you can find here: 

Please login or register to see this link.

Dave

• Inquirer
  • Hi Dave 

Thanks for the pointers, I've just killed about an hour reading @Sankotronic posts and now my head is spinning! At the moment I have in most rooms a relay for lighting, LC13 for the rads, Fibaro motion sensor and in most rooms window/door contacts. I also have a few Fibaro smoke detectors and an echo for good measure! However, for the last year its all been sitting doing very little! I have a handful of scenes setup to switch lights off in rooms like the bathroom to stop the kids leaving lights on, so really basic stuff! Oh, not forgetting my "sexy time" scene which turns off the lights, brings on some nice romantic RED LEDs and blasts out some Marvin Gaye..... But thats purely for my entertainment to watch the wife cringe every time I show it to someone!

I have zero experience or understanding of LUA code, or where I'm meant to start in terms of basic HC2 setup! 

More pointers will be gratefully received!