Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

[Project] Lights & garage door opener automation revamp

AutoFrank

Question

Hi,

I finally got around to revamping the setup in my garage for some of the lights and the door opener

There was a few issues I was trying to resolve...

• I had no automation the center light 
  • The relay module were squashed a little too tight into some surface mounted boxes
  • I was using a FGS222 to switch the garage door opener's no volt contacts which is not advised (Thanks @petergebruers and @jimicr )

The fibaro relay for the garage door was up high by the garage door opener and I decide to bring it all together in a new 8 module enclosure.

The advantage of this was twofold...

• I would be able utilise the second relay circuit of the door opener to switch the center light
  • i would also be able to install a din mounted contact relay to isolate the door opener's no volt contact from the 230v zwave relay contacts
  • I will also be putting a 7" table above this and was able to use the space to install a small USB adapter
  • also an opportunity to do a little tidy up and run some new wires

The result is as follows 

Please login or register to see this attachment.

and all closed up

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Took about 2 hrs to complete and a much better and safer solution

_af

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 answers to this question

Looking good @AutoFrank!

I am looking forward to your VD that will monitor/ control it all :)

My current project is taking all automation out of the house and make it "dumb" again.

3 Weeks from tomorrow we get the keys to the new house and will start a complete renovation with HA in mind.

I am contemplating to maybe get a few of these: 

Please login or register to see this link.

to hold the modules in central boxes per room (in the room) instead of behind the switches.

Jim

• Inquirer
  • Thanks @jimicr

In some ways I don't envy the work ahead of you but there are things i would do a bit differently I was to do it again and we only built three years ago ...

1 minute ago, AutoFrank said:

Thanks @jimicr

In some ways I don't envy the work ahead of you but there are things i would do a bit differently I was to do it again and we only built three years ago ...

Thanks, it'll be the third time I'm doing this. But I enjoy it to some extend :)

Hi @AutoFrank,

I can't make pictures of my installation for garage since I'm not at home at the moment, but here is short description.

I installed one dimmer 2 for garage central light with two momentary switches. One switch is used to control light and another one for scene activation. Then I installed one Fibaro relay in my garage door opener. I also installed one Fibaro relay for sliding gate and one for door gate.

I made scene that is triggered by central light dimmer switch 2. One click unlocks door gate, two clicks opens or closes sliding gate and three clicks opens or closes garage door.

Also, on garage door I use two Fibaro door/window sensors. One changes state when garage door starts opening, while the other is triggered when garage door is fully opened. This second one I also reverse input so that it shows door opened when magnet is near and closed door when magnet is removed. With this two sensors now I can see if garage door is closed, partially or fully opened.

I still need to do the same for sliding gate. Then I will make VD that will show status of the garage door and gate with button to open/stop/close.

Of course I don't need dimmer 2 for garage central light, but dimmer 2 has scene  activation functionality that is very useful.