Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Fibaro Swipe beeping randomly

RohitNz

@petergebruers Indeed Powerbank didn't work. The batteries are only used for back-up purpose. I want to buy rechargeable batteries but you mentioned

(not recommended and also unlikely to fit...)

can I ask why ?

I was thinking something like this ...

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Edited by Sjekke

• Your battery gauge won't work, it will go from "full" to "dead" in a few days, a day or sometimes the device (I am not talking about the Swipe in particular) just goes dead... The Swipe will also drain cells below the minimum voltage. This combined with the next point will destroy your cells, if you are not fast enough to recharge them...
  • Because the 4 cells are in series, an imbalance in capacity will cause one of the cells to drain faster, and quite possibly below 0.9 V (sometimes even down to zero, or even reverse charge...). Below that the cell will degrade over time. If you recharge such a cell, it will show less capacity and the next time it will be even worse. Some capacity can be regained, by cycling the cell 3 - 5 times. If you leave an NiMH < 0.9 V for weeks, it will have lost some capacity forever... Different brands and types respond differently to over-discharge.
  • I've found some cells do not fit. Or rather they fit, but the positive terminal does not touch the battery holder contact. It might be my Swipe... it is one of the early models. Most of my rechargeable cells have a cylindrical, flat top, 5.2 - 5.5 mm. The spec allows up to 5.5 mm. But my primary cells seem to be somewhat tapered, more like 4.5 - 5.0 at the top, no issues with that. I do not know if this effect is intentional, I am not aware of a spec which distinguishes primary vs secondary cells by the size of the positive terminal. If someone knows the answer, please tell me ;-)

Other than that, I have not noticed an issue with the Swipe on 4 x NiMH (except, by design, the two battery modes are not exactly like the USB mode).

I cannot comment on the quality of the GP 2700 - never tried them.

8 hours ago, petergebruers said:
  • Your battery gauge won't work, it will go from "full" to "dead" in a few days, a day or sometimes the device (I am not talking about the Swipe in particular) just goes dead... The Swipe will also drain cells below the minimum voltage. This combined with the next point will destroy your cells, if you are not fast enough to recharge them...
  • Because the 4 cells are in series, an imbalance in capacity will cause one of the cells to drain faster, and quite possibly below 0.9 V (sometimes even down to zero, or even reverse charge...). Below that the cell will degrade over time. If you recharge such a cell, it will show less capacity and the next time it will be even worse. Some capacity can be regained, by cycling the cell 3 - 5 times. If you leave an NiMH < 0.9 V for weeks, it will have lost some capacity forever... Different brands and types respond differently to over-discharge.
  • I've found some cells do not fit. Or rather they fit, but the positive terminal does not touch the battery holder contact. It might be my Swipe... it is one of the early models. Most of my rechargeable cells have a cylindrical, flat top, 5.2 - 5.5 mm. The spec allows up to 5.5 mm. But my primary cells seem to be somewhat tapered, more like 4.5 - 5.0 at the top, no issues with that. I do not know if this effect is intentional, I am not aware of a spec which distinguishes primary vs secondary cells by the size of the positive terminal. If someone knows the answer, please tell me ;-)

Other than that, I have not noticed an issue with the Swipe on 4 x NiMH (except, by design, the two battery modes are not exactly like the USB mode).

I cannot comment on the quality of the GP 2700 - never tried them.

Thx for the info. 

For me it’s unacceptable when running on batteries, they are already dead after a week. Who in godsname makes a product like this. Fibaro should mention that you need the use the Swipe on USB and that the 4 batteries are only for back-up mode. I’m diasappointed ... since this was a replacement for my button who died after 6 months ... 

Are ther other members using the Swipe on batteries? If yes, what’s your experience?

1 minute ago, Sjekke said:

For me it’s unacceptable when running on batteries, they are already dead after a week. Who in godsname makes a product like this. Fibaro should mention that you need the use the Swipe on USB and that the 4 batteries are only for back-up mode. I’m diasappointed ... since this was a replacement for my button who died after 6 months ... 

Are ther other members using the Swipe on batteries? If yes, what’s your experience?

If my memory serves me sell, I never had less than 4 weeks of battery life. If I remember well, I could get 6 weeks from 4 x 2100 mAh NiMH, but really this was maybe a year ago, and I have older firmware, and I really need to retest to confirm the numbers (but I prefer not to do that, it is on USB now). Good alkaline batteries can have 3000 - 3500 mAh (at  < 25 mA discharge rate, spec'ed by a big brand of alkaline cells) so fresh alkaline batteries should give you at least two months, not 1 week.

I do not know why you only get 1 week, this certainly is not normal.

Can someone else please confirm battery life?

Anyone a clue why @Sjekke can only get 1 week?

21 minutes ago, petergebruers said:

If my memory serves me sell, I never had less than 4 weeks of battery life. If I remember well, I could get 6 weeks from 4 x 2100 mAh NiMH, but really this was maybe a year ago, and I have older firmware, and I really need to retest to confirm the numbers (but I prefer not to do that, it is on USB now). Good alkaline batteries can have 3000 - 3500 mAh (at  < 25 mA discharge rate, spec'ed by a big brand of alkaline cells) so fresh alkaline batteries should give you at least two months, not 1 week.

I do not know why you only get 1 week, this certainly is not normal.

Can someone else please confirm battery life?

Anyone a clue why @Sjekke can only get 1 week?

What I didn't mention was the fact that I used the batteries that where in the box. Nevertheless when I first used those batteries level was 100%. I will try with new batteries and provide you feedback ...

Can I use an Iphone charger for the USB?

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Edited by Sjekke

@Sjekke,

iPhone charger (original iPhone charger) is a very good option.

We've tested some Chinese knockoffs and Swipe was very often randomly triggered. But that's not our opinion

Please login or register to see this link.

Apple's power adapter is clearly a high-quality power supply designed to produce carefully filtered power. Apple has obviously gone to extra effort to reduce EMI interference, probably to keep the charger from interfering with the touchscreen.

Probably this additional shielding and limited EMI interference allow our Swipe to work without any self-triggered actions ; -)

You can read about it more here: 

Please login or register to see this link.

• 6 months later...

I use Swipe about 1 year without any problems (in the same time with power adapter and batteries), in the last 2 weeks i have a lot of false triggers.

I change power adapter with another two (all original brands), the same problem. I cut the power and i use only batteries, problems still exists.

Swipe is from the beginning in a false painting frame, i don't change anything before starting problems. HC2, v 4.162.

I don't have a fridge or something else in the front or the back....

So I don't have a power problem, any suggestions!?

• Topic Author
  • I have returned it and installed a gang of 6 switches instead. :)

43 minutes ago, RohitNz said:

I have returned it and installed a gang of 6 switches instead. :)

Hmmmm

I don't like it. :D

So, maybe is broken!? 

I have had a swipe since they became available. I have had some problems like whats described above. Been down the route with setting it up and inclusion in different power configurations and with different adapters. Bottom line it mostly behaves, but yes it has recently said beep once or twice for apparently no reason...

13 hours ago, 1152 said:

I have had a swipe since they became available. I have had some problems like whats described above. Been down the route with setting it up and inclusion in different power configurations and with different adapters. Bottom line it mostly behaves, but yes it has recently said beep once or twice for apparently no reason...

Thanks Paul!

One question, your swipe was behind wall, picture or something!?

I have 2 swipe, just one have problems with fake triggers and beeping, swipe from behind the painting.

My swipe is mounted behind one of the wooden doors in my kitchen cabinet. The door is normally closed/seldom in use. 

Like I say, from the first time with this Swipe I use only original Samsung charger adapter 2000mAh, from Orange (surely no cheap).

Today I try all, without painting beside, inclusion/exclusion, reconfigure device/software reconfiguration, all my adapters from my house, nokia, amazon, samsung and huawei or just fresh new battery power mode. Nothing good.

The differences in USB mode is much more beeping... and triggers.

I don't know what is the problem but it is impossible to use any more (i have at least five randomly triggers in 10 minutes and much more beeping), I hope to find the guaranty certificate.

Five days without beeping. After exclusion and more inclusion, I try battery power mode with stand by (without power saving).

When I connect usb power adapter, beeping and beeping... randomly after about aprox. 1 minute...

I repeat, good brand power adapter!

What is the problem!? I don't want to use only battery mode, because i made all preparation (hole in the wall, etc...) for usb power....

Can I have software/settings solution or just warranty!?