Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Fibaro Switch being slow?

rado

I've installed several Fibaro Switches single / dual units (produced 2/2017) in my home, all of them connected to mechanical switches and HC2. I would assume this installation should work even without zWave gateway, right? Mechanical switch gives impuls to Fibaro Switch, which will dis/connect the realy, which will toggle the light. But it does not seem to work like this, sometimes there is significat delay (like several seconds) before the relay toggles. I would assume this should be almost instantaneous. Why not? Is there a setting to fix that?

Edited by rado

Hello @rado!

Fibaro Swiches should not have any delays when it comes to simple mechanical actions.

Could you provide a better insight into your installation. Could you provide some wiring diagrams explaining where is our switch and how it connects to lights?

• Topic Author
  • Live wire (L) goes to Fibaro Switch, wires from mechanical switch go to Fibaro (S1, or +S2, for dual switch), other wires (Q1, Q2) go from Fibaro switch  to the light. Super simple stuff. 

Some lights are operated by one mechanical switch, some others by 2 or 3.

It all works properly, was installed by a licensed electrician, all mechanical switches work, all lights can be controlled by Fibaro app, but, there is a delay sometimes, even for mechanical switches :(.

If the connection would be wrong, it would not work at all, right?

Switches were reset after installation and freshly included into a zWave network. Default parameters for them are used.

Edited by rado

@rado,

Could you tell, what is the length between the switch and our module?

Where is the module installed, right after the switch or near the light?

What kind of light is connected?

Finally, which version of our Switch do you have? Could you check the concrete model name? 

• Topic Author
  • Fibaro Switch is always installed next to the mechanical switch, in the same box. Lights are on the ceiling.

Fibaro Single / Double Switch
    Version 3.2
    Serial number (for some of them) 52573, 55101, 29760, etc.

Lights connected are low-power LEDs, from 15W to 3x15W.

Anyway, it is a switch. Relay should switch no matter what, right? Dimmers need bypasses.

Mechanical Switch - S1 (+L via terminal block)

Light - Q (+N)

L - connected to live 

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Edited by rado

Another thing we could check is parametr 20 in advanced settings:

Maybe 0 - momentary switch will change the behavior.

• Topic Author
  • No, "momentary" does not work. 

After setting it, I need 2 clicks by mechanical switch to switch on / off the light.

But setting parameter "12" to 0 (=0.01s according to manual) seems to improve things.

Hard to say for sure though, long reaction to mechanical switch input occurs randomly..

Edited by rado

Also getting problems with turning on/off delay with Single Switch 2.

The Switch is connected to Vera Edge controller, and sometimes it takes about 10-15 seconds to react at lights toggle. After any triggering it becomes faster. But after no use for several minutes - slow reaction and longer delay time again.

Also got a problem that Vera Edge shows a message: "Can't Detect Device", but actually it works, with delay, but works...

Dear Fibaro, what parameters can I check?

• Topic Author
  • Exactly, it works fast when you use those lights frequently, it might take longer in the morning, after not using them for 8+ hours.

Which is very strange, as there is a direct mechanical connection between the switch and the Fibaro unit.

Seems like a firmware bug to me.

@rado,

Could you use some other lights, just for the testing purposes, some lights which do not need a transformer.

The delay in the morning and after some time may be caused by a discharged transformer, which need to charge itself at the beginning.

You can check if incandescent light or halogen light connected at the end behaves similarly.

I have a FGS-213 firmware 3.0 while yours is running 3.2. so I refrained from posting... But if more people experience this issue it might exist on both versions. This might be interesting: I use it as a remote control, so there is no load. Only 10 cm wires connected to momentary switches. I use central scene event to trigger a scene. I do not use the state of the switches. So lots of differences compared with your setup up, but one observation is the same: sometimes it does not seem to register a click and sometimes it takes several seconds...

Edited by petergebruers

• Topic Author
  • 3 hours ago, I.Srodka said:

@rado,

Could you use some other lights, just for the testing purposes, some lights which do not need a transformer..

Do not have this  possibility :( Those LED lights are built into the ceiling, cannot change the bulb in them, as there is no bulb.

Could you possibly discuss with Fibaro engineers, if this could be fixed via firmware update?

Edited by rado

I'm afraid our Switch works properly. It's just the electricity and transformer which introduces the lag.

Could you check with some hand voltage tester on the module, if the module provides current instantly?

• Topic Author
  • Well, by "correct"  behaviour I would assume Fibaro would switch on / off the light in the same way and as reliably as mechanical switch does. This is not the case though.

So no, in my opinion they do not work correctly. 10 seconds delay or need for multiple mechanical switch presses were not present before Fibaro installation.

@rado

If you check it with a simple voltage tester directly on our module, and the voltage is on the output immediately, then it's not an issue of our module.

If the delay is longer, then you can send them, under the warranty, back to Poland.

• 1 year later...

Any new Information about the Problem? I bought a FGS-213 ZW5 v3.3 to test it, before i order 20+. The lag is by me not that big and not even random, but still notable. Before installing the Fibaro, the wall switch worked well with no delay by switching the light on. After the install of the FGS-213 there is a small but notable delay(around 0.5s) if i use the wall switch.

• Topic Author
  • No, everything works (as bad) as before.

I have Fibaro switches in my whole home , they sometimes need changing physical switch state (on/of) for 3 or 4 times, before light finally goes on.

Also, sometimes there is a delay of 0.5 to 1s before light goes on. Sometimes not.

When getting rid of Fibaro relay and using only mechanical switch, lights go on/off instantly and reliably.

I got used to it..

But if I would proceed with a new installation, would not use Fibaro for sure, as it is too unreliable.

Using physical switch + Fibaro relay, I would assume a seamless operation, and fast, and reliable, which is not the case.

Edited by rado

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, same issue for me "multiple mechanical switch presses are needed to device to react" no all times, lets say... 2 or 3 times per week device not respondinng to mechanical switch presses, around 2, 3 times needed and ok,
    this happen with 4 new modules included days ago (buyed from in Amazon) I have other devices working, fibaro, quobino, aeotec, all fine, except these last 4 modules 223 double switch.
    the only difference I can see if comparing with other working modules is about versions:
    With "strange behavior" mechanical switch:
    Library Version: 3, Application Version: 3.02, Protocol Version: 4.05
    and With no issues:
    Library Version: 3, Application Version: 3.03, Protocol Version: 4.24
    As main controller Im using raspberry pi III + aeotec zwave usb + domoticz with around 25 devices nodes.
    Please give a solution before returning back to Amazon.

Fibaro dont seems to be interested to resolve the problem or even say something. Very Very Bad communication!!!!!

I wait an another month than the item get -1 star for the delay and -3 stars for customer care on Amazon

Edited by Rintano