Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

FGD-212 Dimmer 2 Pairing Problem

ahmed24

Question

I have two FGD-212 Dimmers, I wired them using the 2 wire method. I am trying to get the Dimmer to enter pair mode so that I can discover it in my Samsung Smart Things App. I reset the device using the method in the manual where the light goes yellow/orange and then one quick click initiates a reset. After the reset the device re-calibrates and then led goes green indicating the light can be dimmed and then the LEDs go off. At this point I enter the discovery section on my Samsung Smart Things App and then press the B button 3 times on the Dimmer to enter pairing mode. However, I just cannot seem to discover the thing. I've tried both dimmers and they both have same issue. Any ideas what I can be doing wrong? Other people I have spoken to using SmartThings seem to say it discovers it straight away. I am only a few meters away from the Smart Things Hub, so don't think it's a range issue.

• Inquirer
  • 8 minutes ago, I.Srodka said:

Hi @ahmed24,

What device is being controlled by Samsung Smart Things App?

Hi, the Samsung Smart Hub is controlled via the Smart Things App.  Inside the Smart Things App I have added Philips Hue bulbs as they are Zigbee devices. 

Thank you for your replay.

So does any of your devices support Z-Wave standard?

• Inquirer
  • 1 minute ago, I.Srodka said:

Thank you for your replay.

So does any of your devices support Z-Wave standard?

The Samsung Smart Hub supports Z-Wave and Zigbee. Few people I have spoken to on the Smart Things Forum have managed to add their Fibaro Dimmer 2. They say when the dimmer 2 enters pairing mode the Samsung Smart Hub and App picks it up straight away. So I am thinking that mine is not entering pairing mode maybe. I've tried with both dimmers and they are both doing the same thing. I don't have a retractive switch, just a ordinary switch which is why I am pressing the B button 3 times.

Could you follow those steps and see what's the result?

Resetting the Dimmer 2:

1. Disconnect the power supply.

2. Remove the Dimmer 2 from the wall switch box.

3. Connect the power supply.

4. Locate the B-button on the housing.

5. Press and hold the B-button to enter the menu mode.

6. Wait for the visual LED indicator to turn yellow.

7. Quickly release and click the B-button again.

8. After few seconds the device will be restarted, which is signalled with the red LED indicator colour.

9. The device enters the calibration mode.

• Inquirer
  • Can you please clarify:

1. Disconnect the power supply - do you mean disconnect the L wire and the wire that goes to the Light from the dimmer?

2. Remove the Dimmer 2 from the wall switch box. - Do you mean disconnect the S1 and the SX wires from the dimmer? because these are the two wires that go to the light switch. What about the loop between N and SX?

3. Connect the power supply - do you mean just connect the L wire? or do you mean connect L and the wire going to the light?

I tried the reset procedure like this: disconnecting it completely from L and the wire going to the light. Then I connected it again and held B button down until LED went yellow then quickly released and pressed. This rebooted the device and it did some calibration but the light did not go red. Am I supposed to leave the wall switch completely disconnected when doing to reset? Also, Am I supposed to keep the wire going to the light fixture connected when I re-connect the power supply?

33 minutes ago, ahmed24 said:

This rebooted the device and it did some calibration but the light did not go red.

So what color did it have?

37 minutes ago, ahmed24 said:

1. Disconnect the power supply - do you mean disconnect the L wire and the wire that goes to the Light from the dimmer?

No, just general power supply in your flat, for example.

37 minutes ago, ahmed24 said:

3. Connect the power supply - do you mean just connect the L wire? or do you mean connect L and the wire going to the light?

The module stays connected to the cables, it is about general power supply.

39 minutes ago, ahmed24 said:

Am I supposed to keep the wire going to the light fixture connected when I re-connect the power supply?

Yes.

• Inquirer
  • OK so basically it should be as follows:

1. Turn off power supply to the dimmer.
    2. Remove the wall switch from the back-box to gain access to the dimmer module
    3. Turn the power supply back on
    4. Locate the B-button on the dimmer housing
    5. Press and hold the B-button to enter the menu mode.
    6. Wait for the visual LED indicator to turn yellow.
    7. Quickly release and click the B-button again.
    8. After few seconds the device will be restarted, which is signalled with the red LED indicator colour.
    9. The device enters the calibration mode.

I've done exactly that. When LED goes yellow I quickly release and press once to select it, the dimmer module then turns the light off completely for a few seconds and then it starts up and then the light starts to dim and brighten which I assume means it is calibrating. After this calibration the LED turn green for a few seconds and then no colour from the LED. There is no RED indicator whatsoever.

Is the load an LED? It might be interesting to try an incandescent (halogen) lamp > 50 W... Sometimes, low Watt LED cause issues with 2-wire setup (it is in the manual, see "minimum load"). If this solves the problem, either try 3-wire setup or add "Bypass 2".

Instead of resetting, please try this:

• Take the device you want to reset. In your case: the FGD-212. It does not matter if it was included, not included, used or not used, foreign, reset or not reset.
    • Go to "Devices", "Add or remove device" then click on "Delete". The delete window pops up and the counter starts counting down from 30.
    • Click or 3-click the device button, as indicated in the manual of the device under "inclusion".
    • One second after clicking the device button, the timer should stop and the HC should say: "deleted".
    • If this works, the device will have been reset to factory defaults. This is mandated by the Z-Wave specifications. A device must reset to factory state, after exclusion. This may seem strange, but *any* controller* can delete (exclude) *any* device.

I this "exclusion" works, please try an inclusion again. If this procedure does not work, please post your observations...

Edit... Copy pasted this procedure, it is for Fibaro Home Center... It works with ANY controller, also for SmartThings, but I do not know what the dialogs look like. But you tell SmartThings to remove (aka "delete", aka "exclude") a device. Then, when you 3-click the dimmer, your hub should say "deleted"...

Just to be on the safe side... You are in the UK? So both your hub and your dimmer(s) are EU frequency?

Edited by petergebruers

• Inquirer
  • 3 hours ago, petergebruers said:

Is the load an LED? It might be interesting to try an incandescent (halogen) lamp > 50 W... Sometimes, low Watt LED cause issues with 2-wire setup (it is in the manual, see "minimum load"). If this solves the problem, either try 3-wire setup or add "Bypass 2".

Instead of resetting, please try this:

• Take the device you want to reset. In your case: the FGD-212. It does not matter if it was included, not included, used or not used, foreign, reset or not reset.
    • Go to "Devices", "Add or remove device" then click on "Delete". The delete window pops up and the counter starts counting down from 30.
    • Click or 3-click the device button, as indicated in the manual of the device under "inclusion".
    • One second after clicking the device button, the timer should stop and the HC should say: "deleted".
    • If this works, the device will have been reset to factory defaults. This is mandated by the Z-Wave specifications. A device must reset to factory state, after exclusion. This may seem strange, but *any* controller* can delete (exclude) *any* device.

I this "exclusion" works, please try an inclusion again. If this procedure does not work, please post your observations...

Edit... Copy pasted this procedure, it is for Fibaro Home Center... It works with ANY controller, also for SmartThings, but I do not know what the dialogs look like. But you tell SmartThings to remove (aka "delete", aka "exclude") a device. Then, when you 3-click the dimmer, your hub should say "deleted"...

Just to be on the safe side... You are in the UK? So both your hub and your dimmer(s) are EU frequency?

Thanks for your reply. The load is not LED it is halogen and above 50W. I even tried 3 wire setup but still no success discovering the FGD-212 in the Smart Things App.

The alternative instructions about trying instead of resetting. I'm not sure I quite understand it, can you explain? From what I can understand I believe you mean I should delete it from the hub. I found the following section in the attached screenshots in my Smart Things App. Is this what you mean?

Yes I am from the UK and dimmer and hub are on EU frequency.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Edited by ahmed24

1 minute ago, ahmed24 said:

Smart Things only allows you to delete devices that are already added.

Unfortunately, I do not own SmartThings Hub. A Fibaro homecenter allows you to exclude (aka delete) a device, even when it is not added. Yiou go to the menu "device" and there are several buttons, one says "add" and one says "delete". If you click on delete, the controller waits on the 3-click on the the device. If you do not have such a similar menu item, you might be out of luck. It is not a special function of a Fibaro HomeCenter. Also Z-Way (RaZberry), Vera,  Homeseer, all openzwave based controllers allow you to exclude (delete) a Z-Wave device, just like the HC. If SmartThings cannot do that, then Samsung certainly does not work like the other controllers that I know of... It is a typical Z-Wave thing. Any controller can exclude any device...

I cannot help but thinking: we are missing something very obvious here... There are almost NO reports on this forum that describe issues with adding the FGD-212 to any controller. That is why I asked if the frequency matches. That would explain everything...

Your load is OK, so that does not explain your problem either!

What do they say on the SmartThings forum?

I am out of ideas...

• Inquirer
  • 3 minutes ago, petergebruers said:

Unfortunately, I do not own SmartThings Hub. A Fibaro homecenter allows you to exclude (aka delete) a device, even when it is not added. Yiou go to the menu "device" and there are several buttons, one says "add" and one says "delete". If you click on delete, the controller waits on the 3-click on the the device. If you do not have such a similar menu item, you might be out of luck. It is not a special function of a Fibaro HomeCenter. Also Z-Way (RaZberry), Vera,  Homeseer, all openzwave based controllers allow you to exclude (delete) a Z-Wave device, just like the HC. If SmartThings cannot do that, then Samsung certainly does not work like the other controllers that I know of... It is a typical Z-Wave thing. Any controller can exclude any device...

I cannot help but thinking: we are missing something very obvious here... There are almost NO reports on this forum that describe issues with adding the FGD-212 to any controller. That is why I asked if the frequency matches. That would explain everything...

Your load is OK, so that does not explain your problem either!

What do they say on the SmartThings forum?

I am out of ideas...

Just updated my reply above with screenshots. I have found the exclusion section. I will try that this evening. So just to be clear. I click on exclusion then I press 3 times on B button and see if I can delete it that way?

Yes, your screenshots shows the correct "exclusion" function. About a second after the 3-click your hub should report something. If it does not, it was unable to communicate with your module, and that would be... really weird...

• Inquirer
  • 2 hours ago, petergebruers said:

Yes, your screenshots shows the correct "exclusion" function. About a second after the 3-click your hub should report something. If it does not, it was unable to communicate with your module, and that would be... really weird...

Thanks, I will try this tonight. So just to be clear, I first got to the exclusion section in the hub app and once that is scanning I then press the B button 3 times on the FGD-212 right?

Right! Maybe one small thing: make sure the dimmer is not calibrating. While it is doing calibrating, it does not send or receive any Z-wave command.

• Inquirer
  • 42 minutes ago, petergebruers said:

Right! Maybe one small thing: make sure the dimmer is not calibrating. While it is doing calibrating, it does not send or receive any Z-wave command.

OK thanks, will try that. How do you know if it is not calibrating? I wait for the lights to be completely off or on and make sure LED indicator is not on?

It takes about 20 seconds max. When it no longer steps up the dimming level, it's finished.

• Thanks 1

And thank you for telling me about the exclusion function in "SmartThings".

Enjoy your new devices!

• Like 1

• Inquirer
  • Working well with my Smart Things hub. Just had a quick question. Under what circumstances does the FGD-212 get warm to touch? Does it only get warm if its running the lights on dim? So the dimmer the light the warmer it will get? So technically if i run it on 100% on then it shouldn't warm up that much right? Also, when the lights are off, should the dimmer warm up?

Does the FGD-212 have built in protection against overheating? Reason I ask is because I am leaving this device connected behind the switch and will never know if it gets warm or malfunctions. So wondering what precautions  and failsafes are in place against possible overheat/fire risk