Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

FGD-212 Dimmer 2 Pairing Problem

ahmed24

Question

I have two FGD-212 Dimmers, I wired them using the 2 wire method. I am trying to get the Dimmer to enter pair mode so that I can discover it in my Samsung Smart Things App. I reset the device using the method in the manual where the light goes yellow/orange and then one quick click initiates a reset. After the reset the device re-calibrates and then led goes green indicating the light can be dimmed and then the LEDs go off. At this point I enter the discovery section on my Samsung Smart Things App and then press the B button 3 times on the Dimmer to enter pairing mode. However, I just cannot seem to discover the thing. I've tried both dimmers and they both have same issue. Any ideas what I can be doing wrong? Other people I have spoken to using SmartThings seem to say it discovers it straight away. I am only a few meters away from the Smart Things Hub, so don't think it's a range issue.

The FGD-212 is designed for its rated load and to be used in a wall or anywhere else. It meets specifications. The device detects over-temperature, over-current, over-load, over-voltage and under-voltage. When the load is "off" it dissipates 0.5 W and this does not make the device hot, it will be slightly above surrounding air temperature. It slightly hums and hisses when it is off and you put the device to your ear. It is normal it is the result of the power supply technology used on that module. At full power it wil be dissipating in the order of 5 W and that makes the module "warm". That kind of dissipation is allowed in a wall or a box. The device sends alarms to the controller, but I am not sure if SmartThings captures and displays these notifications. Quick test: turn on the light. Remove the bulb, wait 5 seconds and put it back. Do you see "load error" anywhere on your controller? In a logfile, perhaps?

On 4.11.2017 at 12:31 AM, ahmed24 said:

Does the FGD-212 have built in protection against overheating?

Of course! It has all the necessary safety measures in place ; )

Hi there

Since I have similar issues, I will use this thread instead of creating a new topic.

I just installed my Samsung Smartthings Hub today (been using hass.io previously on a Rpi) and I wanted to add my Fibaro Dimmer 2 EU version to my new smartthings hub,

but I can't get it to work.

I guess the problem is that it's still paired to my Z-wave stick that I had in my crashed Rpi, but that Rpi and Z-wave stick is long gone.

So where do I go from here? Can I somehow force the dimmer to unpair with my old Z-wave stick even though I don't have it anymore?

Or are there any other suggestions?

I've already tried the 3 B-button/S1 presses and searched for it but with no luck.

31 minutes ago, Mads Sorensen said:

I guess the problem is that it's still paired to my Z-wave stick that I had in my crashed Rpi, but that Rpi and Z-wave stick is long gone.

That is the likely cause but do not worry, it is not a big issue.

Any controller can exclude and reset and remove any z-wave device at any time. No matter where it came from or what happened to it. So put your new gateway in "delete" mode (whatever/wherever that is, I do not own SmartThings Hub) - like you would if you would want to exclude a (regular, included) device. Then perform the "right exclude click sequence" on the device, it is in the manual, for this device it will be the same as the "include" sequence = 3-click as you say.

Edited by petergebruers

32 minutes ago, petergebruers said:

That is the likely cause but do not worry, it is not a big issue.

Any controller can exclude and reset and remove any z-wave device at any time. No matter where it came from or what happened to it. So put your new gateway in "delete" mode (whatever/wherever that is, I do not own SmartThings Hub) - like you would if you would want to exclude a (regular, included) device. Then perform the "right exclude click sequence" on the device, it is in the manual, for this device it will be the same as the "include" sequence = 3-click as you say.

That worked perfectly... Thanks :)

• Like 1