Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

calibration failed of dimmer 2 with Bypass 2

Jibran

Question

Hello,

Dimmer 2 with bypass 2 is not calibrating correctly. whenever i set the parameter 13 to 2 , module receives 1 from parameter 13 and start calibrating. I dont know what i am doing wrong . I have triple checked the connections of bypass 2 that is parallel with one of the LED ( transformer input). But it is not calibrating correctly.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Please If anybody sees this message, do suggest something it will be very grateful.  It is urgent. For reference i have attached some photos.

11 answers to this question

Hi @Jibran,

It is interesting response from a Dimmer 2 to HC.

Although, can you try to update Dimmer into version 3.5? I believe I had successful calibration with that version.

• Inquirer
  • All dimmers are already except this have a version 3.5. but still not calibrating with bypass 2. 

also tested on 3.5v. same response here .

Edited by Jibran

Please calibrate it the dimmer again, by setting p13 = 2 (force auto-calibration of the load with Fibaro Bypass). Refresh the web page after 20 seconds.

Then please post the values of parameters 1,2,5,6,7,8,13,14,30,31,32,33,34,35 because they tell a lot about the configuration, load and calibration. Maybe we can find out what happened.

In the past, people have a few times silently ignored my request to post the values of these parameters. Let me explain *WHY* I would like to know them. You might think: "I didn't mess with those parameters (yet) - why should I respond to that question? Surely those parameters are all at their default values? Why waste time by telling the obvious?". Well... They are not at their "default"... You see... "calibration" means the dimmer tries to determine optimum values for a lot of parameters, by pulsing/stepping its output (you can see that) and measuring the response of the load (so each time you change the load,  please do a calibration!). Because you and I have a different loads on that dimmer, we end up with different parameters! And that's why I'd like to know what they are set at...

Edit... I have my doubts about the dimmability of that LED driver. But I am not sure, all Shenzen drivers come in similar cases... Can we see the label on the device? Some specs maybe?

Edited by petergebruers

• Inquirer
  • Ok . I will post all the parameters. Also i will upload the video of dimming quality and label of the driver. 

• Inquirer
  • Here are the Screen Shots of the dimmer 2 with bypass 2 Parameters. Please see the attach files and please tell or suggest me what to do. 

There is second problem arises recently . On main Line ( Electricity) Dimmers 2 works well , as soon as the main electricity gone and shifted onto Backup UPS ( Full Sinewave) , the lights on the dimmers 2 started to flicker.  For One month, it also works fine with backup UPS, but now all are giving that kind of problem . 

I have 10 dimmers 2 . Now suddenly , that problem arises. I have consulted the electrician, he checked Neutral wires from the Circuit breaker and from the Meter. He is saying there is no problem. But i know there is some problem which i am not getting.

This is also a very serious issue. Please Suggest me and help me with this issue. Any type of guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Can't help you with the ups problem.

Regarding calibration. Everyhing looks ok to me. I think you do not have a problem.

The only strange thing is p14 is at 0 which means you override the auto calibration.

Also, I tkink your original question my be based an a false assumption. To calibrate, you set 13 to 1 or 2. Two means "bypass" and this helps cvlibration. Calibration does not know if there is a bypass. So it is you who tells if there is a bypass or not.

After calibration, p13 goes to 0 and 14 goes to 1.

Parameter 14 on your screenshot is 0 which is unexpected after calibration.

Can you please follow this to the letter?

set parameter 30 to 0. To stop calibrating at power cut.

Save

set parameter 13 to 2.

Save

Calibration starts. Observe dimming steps

After 20 seconds, no more dimming steps occur.

Refresh page. This is important! And please do not make a change.

Now record the parameters and compare with previous screenshots. Check if p13 is 0 and p14 is 1.

• Inquirer
  • 5 hours ago, Jibran said:
    10 minutes ago, petergebruers said:

Can't help you with the ups problem.

Regarding calibration. Everyhing looks ok to me. I think you do not have a problem.

The only strange thing is p14 is at 0 which means you override the auto calibration.

Also, I tkink your original question my be based an a false assumption. To calibrate, you set 13 to 1 or 2. Two means "bypass" and this helps cvlibration. Calibration does not know if there is a bypass. So it is you who tells if there is a bypass or not.

After calibration, p13 goes to 0 and 14 goes to 1.

Parameter 14 on your screenshot is 0 which is unexpected after calibration.

Can you please follow this to the letter?

set parameter 30 to 0. To stop calibrating at power cut.

Save

set parameter 13 to 2.

Save

Calibration starts. Observe dimming steps

After 20 seconds, no more dimming steps occur.

Refresh page. This is important! And please do not make a change.

Now record the parameters and compare with previous screenshots. Check if p13 is 0 and p14 is 1.

Yes I have Changed the parameter 1 and 2 for the manual setting after calibration because it gives a message of over brightness or current and lights go back to the off position . so i have to change parameter 1 and 2 in order to work properly thats why P14 changes to manual . 

Ok i will do as you said the post the result with the video.

You are not doing anything wrong. You can forget what you asked in post #1.

You have simply found out that auto calibration is not perfect.

And you have done the right thing: after calibration, change the parameters. Especially minimum and maximum.

You do not have to post or film anything. Just do what you already did: set p13 to 2. Wait 20 seconds. Refresh the page. If the result is not 100%, increase or decrease the parameters a little bit.

With some loads, you get better results. Try something else... like a higher power LED or halogen lamp...

Auto calibration is not needed, but it is great when it works. It saves time because you do not have to try all possible parameters. But it is not magic either, it just guesses the parameters to save you time. It does not change the behavior of the dimmer in some hidoen way. It is not a "special mode". All it does is measure the load, then adjust the parameters for you.

Does this explanion help you understand what is going on with this calibration stuff? Or did I cause more confusion?

• Inquirer
  • Actually it helps me a lot. Thanks to you and all others. I am not confused. i am understanding the modules better now. 

Super!

I cannot help it, but I really love this "dimmer 2" :)

Regarding the ups issue... There are a few things you can try.

P31: leading versus trailing edge

P38: ripple rejection. If you do not see it, please do a "soft reconfigure".

Regarding p38:

I have a dimmer 2 that is an endless auto calibration loop. 2-3 hours of my Sunday evening and I don't know what else to do.

The dimmer 2 is connected to a pendant light with 9x e27 dimmable filament light bulbs.

I have tried the steps above many times. No luck.

I also removed the device from the hc2 and added back. No luck.

Then I factory reset the device and then added it back two separate times. Still no luck.

Each time I turn the light on it goes back into auto calibrate mode. Endless loop!

Parms after 2nd factory reset

1=1

2=99

5=1

6=0.010

7=1

8=0.050 

13=0

14=1

30=2

31= 0 

32 = 2

33= 0 

34=1 

35 = 1

Any ideas?

Next move will be to replace the module.

EDIT:

14=0 now after more clicks

Either way, when it was on 14=1, which was for quite some time (many on/off) the auto calibrate kept happening. 

Each time I turn the light on, 13=1 and then 13=0. It just keeps re-calibrating.

Even when I set 35=0, it still auto calibrates ; ( 

Must be a dodgy module...

EDIT2:

I moved onto another module, this time a dimmer 2 with no load. I want to use both S1 and S2 for scenes, however it is also in constant re-calibration. 

I'm really not sure what to do anymore.

Each time I turn it on 13=1, then 13=0 a few seconds later and "interestingly" 14=0 not 14=1.

I have tried 2x more dimmers with no load (3x in total) all installed for scenes and they are in constant re-calibration.

This was never a problem with Fibaro Dimmer 1's.

EDIT3:

Dimmer 2 with load continuously autocalibrating issue resolved.... thanks to help from Fibaro support. 

I was installing halogen bulbs for the first time, 9x of them, and the load was too big for the Dimmer 2. Not a problem with LEDs. School boy error!

EDIT 4:

Still waiting on support to see how I can workaround stopping auto-calibration on dimmer 2 without load. I have a tonne of them that are installed and more to come, so need a software workaround. 

Edited by amilanov