Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

[SOLVED]Dimmer 2 no load

PerryV

Question

Just starting with Fibaro domotica and built a test board with several lights, dimmers and switches. Needed a trigger to start a scene, so used Dimmer 2 and a switch in 3 wire mode. However forgot to attach a load, as mentioned in the manual ;-(.

Since then I'm not able to switch on the lights anymore by dimmer output. The red light on the Fibaro module is red, it reacts to reconfiguring by webinterface and by menu options with the B-switch. Did I damage the output, or do I need to check all the parameters, since calibration failed? I try to recalibrate, but it doesn't seems to work. Thanks in advance.

13 answers to this question

Hi @PerryV!

Unfortunately, as you read in the instruction: you should have connected it with the necessary load.

You can try to reset the device and connect it this time with some load.

If this doesn't help, you will probably have to send it back to us.

24 minutes ago, I.Srodka said:

Hi @PerryV!

Unfortunately, as you read in the instruction: you should have connected it with the necessary load.

You can try to reset the device and connect it this time with some load.

If this doesn't help, you will probably have to send it back to us.

I agree but can I add add a few things?

1) I have toyed a lot wit this dimmer and it is (almost) indestructible. So I would not give up too easily.

2) 3-wire setup with no load causes the dimmer to become unresponsive. As far as I can tell, adding a bypass as a load or even a 5 W lamp should restore functionality, after power off and power on

3) You can reset as Mr Srodka said, but you can also try this (with a lamp on the output):

• Take the device you want to reset. In your case: the FGD-212. It does not matter if it was included, not included, used or not used, foreign, reset or not reset.
  • Go to "Devices", "Add or remove device" then click on "Delete". The delete window pops up and the counter starts counting down from 30.
  • Click or 3-click the device button, as indicated in the manual of the device under "inclusion".
  • One second after clicking the device button, the timer should stop and the HC should say: "deleted".
  • If this works, the device will have been reset to factory defaults. This is mandated by the Z-Wave specifications. A device must reset to factory state, after exclusion. This may seem strange, but *any* controller* can delete (exclude) *any* device.

I this "exclusion" works, please try an inclusion again. If this procedure does not work, please post your observations...

4 hours ago, petergebruers said:

I agree but can I add add a few things?

Sure! : )

1) I have toyed a lot wit this dimmer and it is (almost) indestructible. So I would not give up too easily.

I hope that they are indestructible too!

Go to "Devices", "Add or remove device" then click on "Delete".

Excluding and including again sounds like a good option too.

This may seem strange, but *any* controller* can delete (exclude) *any* device.

It's just how Z-Wave works. I was also puzzled at the beginning.

• Inquirer
  • Yesterday I did remove and add the device again to force a factory reset. After this I changed the parameter to activate scene id sending. Everything works fine now. Thanks for the support.

Killing the device with no load attached, seems to me like a design flaw. Very happy so far ;-)

Edited by PerryV

2 hours ago, PerryV said:

Yesterday I did remove and add the device again to force a factory reset. After this I changed the parameter to activate scene id sending. Everything works fine now. Thanks for the support.

Killing the device with no load attached, seems to me like a design flaw. Very happy so far ;-)

Thanks for reporting back! The fact that the dimmer does not operate without a load has caught other users by surprise too. Solution: use a "bypass 2" as a dummy load.

• Inquirer
  • I did use a bypass yesterday.

The only thing is how to fit everything using a 50mm (=maximum available depth) of wall installation box : momentary switch, dimmer 2, bypass and a wire connector ...

Just want to create a scene id transmitter on an existing location

Yes, that might prove to be quite difficult. You said you have 3 wires. Have you considered an FGS-2x3 as scene controller? It requires no load. But it is not completely silent, you might notice the clicking of the relay.

• Inquirer
  • Do you have practical experience with this using a Fibaro Home Center Lite? What scene codes does it send and which parameters do I need to change?

I do not own a HCL, but it is standard Central Scene Event...

Please login or register to see this image.

The relevant part:

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Does this help?

• Inquirer
  • Thx a lot, I was confused by the mentioning of association groups, but I want to use the webpage scene definitions.

It looks like you need to use attributes, which is different from the dimmer-2 function (=easier). I have to check if using attributes are possible with the HCL, since I need to be able to detect 1-click (lamps on) and 2 -clicks (lamps off).

Dimmer 2 has older type of command called "scene activation". Switch 2 uses the more modern "central scene command". The old one uses numbers to identify events, the newer ones uses the attributes from the table in my previous post. A controller can find out and list all "central scene" events. You do not have to look up codes anymore...