Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

HCL as secondary controller for module updates

Guest skeal

Question

Guest skeal

Hello!

My question is about including HCL as secondary controller into my existing zwave network.

Currently (and in future) I'm using symcon with razberry controller but want to update the firmware of my fibaro nodes. Can HCL be included as secondary controller

and update the modules or do they have to be unlearned on symcon and learned to hcl as primary controller?

Sadly there is still no chance to update modules with 3rd party products :(

Regards

Thomas

15 answers to this question

You can include HCL/HC2 as secondary controller, it will allow you to update our main powered devices without a problem but there will be some hickups with battery operated modules as they are waking up to your primary controller - it will be neccesery to adjust Wake Up destination to secondary controller. 

Of course it will be possible if your razberry works according to Z-Wave Specification and adding secondary controller will be performed correctly. 

Start normal inclusion on your razberry and then enter Learn Mode on HCL -> button pointed on attached picture.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Guest skeal
  • Inquirer
  • Thank you. Will try this! Thanks to the backup functionality of razberry it won't break the network.

Guest skeal
  • Inquirer
  • One Dimmer 2 worked without problems. But none of the others is working... Doesn't matter how near my box is standing to the modules.

The error is the same like 

Tried soft reconfigure etc several times

I added the HCL to my Z-Wave network. Main controller is an RaZberry and openHAB2. I have all devices in the HCL, but they all appear as 'not configured' (regardless of battery or permanent power), so even cannot see their FW version.

Any hints?

Edited by chrissi400

That is to be expected, that is how it works.

On your Raz, take note of all settings and associations. You'll need them if you configure the device on your other controller (HCL).

On your HC, click on "read configuration" (advanced settings). The device will preserve nodeID and settings. If that does not work try "configure". That will also preserve nodeID, but all other stuff will be reset by your HCL. Now you can configure, use and update the firmware through HCL

If you did a "configure", the device will now report to the HCL (see lifline group) so I think you will be able to control the device on your Raz, but status might be wrong.

To fix that, you apply the settings you recorded in the first step. Please also note "wake up" should be set your other controller.

A word of caution! When I tested all this, I was NOT running any automation on my Razberry (no Z-Way). So I do not know if that will still work after all this...

Personally, I would avoid "secondary" controllers, there are so many unintuitive things with it.

It might save some time... compared to stand alone HCL plus exclude on Raz, include on HCL, exclude again, include again, then fix automation because you got a new node ID...

But maybe you are going to find out, for us, how that "secondary" thing goes...

Edited by petergebruers

thx for your quick replay @petergebruers

I had luck!

Switch 2 and Wallplug all appeared completly in the HCL. 

I did:

1. Wizard HC
    2. give names to the actors
    3. hit "read configuration" under advanced settings

The switches had to turn on their outlets.

After that, I performed the FW update within the HCL. Without reconfiguring or excluding them! 

I did not get my rollershutter or motion sensor to appear fully in HCL (yet).

Thank you for your feedback. Is your "openHAB2" still OK after the update?

That is good news. If you control the devices locally (push the button or switch) does your controller get tke correct status?

After a reboot, my openHAB2 gets the status, if pushed locally.

Seems like HCL does not get the status, if the devices are controlled locally.

Edited by chrissi400
    rebooted OH2, now gets status.

Thanks. Some devices allow for more than one controller (device) ID in the reporting group, though many Z-Wave Plus devices only allow 1 ID (see "lifeline group" = group 1 under associations). You'll have to check the manual of the device (details on associations) to what is possible. So that still works as expected, I assume you want your openhab to have the correct status. ;-). You could set the device to report to the HCL if you wanted that, and find out if openhab = based on openzwave does "promiscuous" mode (I am not sure but theoretically it is possible), to capture the packets and get the status. But this assumes your HCL is close to the other controller and both can "hear" the radio transmission. As far as I can tell, device reporting is really meant to go to one controller only. But I do not have much experience with that...

I don't need the HCL to get the status. I just bought the HCL to update the FW of the devices. I will return it tomorrow.