Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Random switch failures on Double Switch 2 (FGS-223)

Guest PedroRS

Question

Guest PedroRS

Hi guys,

From 1 year ago I have installed in may home five FGS-223 controlling all light and ALL of them are having the same issue.

Randomly they don't react to physical switch request. It means I manually turn off or on the light and the status is not changed (and no noise form the relay).

Sometimes second attempt is working fine but few time I need to switch tree times...

All are working as:

Switch Type 2 - toggle switch (device changes status when switch changes status)

Operating mode - Standard operation

Other configurations are basically default ones since I'm not controlling scenes, etc.

I'm using Zipato controlled, but it's directly controlled by the module as far as I know...

Any idea about the root cause?

Thanks for your support !!

Guest PedroRS
  • Inquirer
  • Hi Andrew,

i don’t want to break to hope, but some months ago they release a version including a comment about this in the Release notes.

The don’t say “solve” but “minimize “ or kind of similar word.

I updated all my devices (I was really annoying because the only way is to ask the controles to a friend, and disassociate all from my controller) and I could not see improvements.

Frankly speaking, I think it a hardware issue and nothing to do...

Of course it was the end of my way with FIBARO. I bought when knowing they are expensive but the best ones but they defraud me.

I don’t know if they made some update in the current units hardware, but Indont want to expend my money to try it.

By the way! All Chinese double switch I bought are “not facing this issue” and they are half price.

I have the same issue with one FGS-223. I have reset it but nothing change, i have replace it with one that i have not switch with a physical switch. 

Guest PedroRS
  • Inquirer
  • I was thinking I received all Fibaro defective units, because I could not found nobody reporting similar issue.

Good to know I'm not the only one, but that kind of behaviour is totally unacceptable I think. I brought Fibaro modules just thinking I will avoid these issues...

Unfortunately I'm using both physical switch and also auto on/off based on presence sensors.

@jack.daniels, in case of your recommended configuration, how is working the device when it's controlled from remote?

Is it negating automatically the configuration temporally? Or is needed to manually double switch to recover the control?

Sorry.. Of course I can try it by my self but I'm not in home this week ! :P

@Fibaro, Is it a batch issue? Is it common/normal/expected behaviour? 

My wife if claiming me every week about the the f***ing domotic  :/

Thanks !!!!!

6 minutes ago, PedroRS said:

how is working the device when it's controlled from remote?

For example: I have 2 dowble and 1 single phisical ON/OFF switches close to each other. All set down position = OFF, up osition = ON.

If I use the settings u have - it will take me much time playing with all 5 buttons to turn all the lights OFF.

I think for Your wife it will be much easier to know which position makes the light ON and OFF.

Yes, remote control makes hw switch to press twise from time to tome (because its ON but the light is OFF). I am thinking to try momentary switches.

Hello,

I have installed this modules and I have the same strange behaviour.

I tried to switch to Toggle mode (on off) and seems it solved... but it's not the right behaviour I want.

What I have noticed is that this issue affects only firmware 3.2. Is it the same for you? Do you have same issue on 3.3?

Thanks

Marco

Hi,

i have v3.3 and I also have this issue. Maybe once a day the Fibaro 223 doesn’t respond to the change in state of the physical toggle switch connected to it. It’s annoying.

Is this something Fibaro have acknowledged? Any idea what the escalation process is? My first thought is just to email support and see what happens.

Andy

Edited by Andrew Lockhart

No answer also via email....it’s quite hard to communicate with Fibaro.

please let me know if you re more lucky than me.

thanks

I’ll try the email option first, give them a week, then for the Twitter approach. They have responded to one of my questions before via Twitter.

To be fair to them a support person has engaged fairly quickly. The suggestion is to flip param 20 to 0 then back to 2.

Of course as it happens quite infrequently it will be hard to know if the problem is resolved.

i am also wondering if they have asked me to do this as they think I might not have parameter 20 set correctly in the first place.

On 12/3/2017 at 9:55 PM, PedroRS said:

Hi guys,

From 1 year ago I have installed in may home five FGS-223 controlling all light and ALL of them are having the same issue.

Randomly they don't react to physical switch request. It means I manually turn off or on the light and the status is not changed (and no noise form the relay).

Sometimes second attempt is working fine but few time I need to switch tree times...

All are working as:

Switch Type 2 - toggle switch (device changes status when switch changes status)

Operating mode - Standard operation

Other configurations are basically default ones since I'm not controlling scenes, etc.

I'm using Zipato controlled, but it's directly controlled by the module as far as I know...

Any idea about the root cause?

Thanks for your support !!

Just a long shot.. When they don't respond to physical switches... do they stay on all the time ? 

For me no. They normal change state when I change the state of the toggle switch again. Once it took two changes of state of the toggle switch, normally it’s just one.

For me all these things with double switches sound like stuck contacts.. but that's just me.  Especially if there are led lights on them.

Guest PedroRS
  • Inquirer
  • I expend long time trying to update the firmware of my double switch. I don’t have gibaros controller so you can imagine how it’s difficult.

Acording release notes of last version afinaron is including some improvement for bistable switch mode.

After some month running this version... I’m having same issue. And the failure ratio seems almost same.

It’s falling when on and when off.

And sometimes when it fails to ON next swishy action is failing too, and 3rd one is finally switching light on.

In my case both led and filament bulbs are failing. Difficult to compare the fail ratio, frankly speaking.

Yes, this is what I am seeing too.

The switch always responds to being controlled remotely so I don’t think it’s a stuck relay issue.

I’ve followed their advice this evening and changed param 20 to 0 saved then back to 2, but I’m not exactly hopeful.

In case it’s useful to anyone my support case number is: #169058

• Thanks 1

Same for me, same issue!

i had stuck contacts too on Led bulbs but I have solved with EMI filter (bought

on amazon) but the problem of buttons that fail still remain...

anyone working in fibaro is here in the forum?

I would not expect support teams to respond to forum questions, but raise a support issue and at the moment they do respond 1-1.

If enough people raise support issues and those support issues are listed on the forum then there is more likely it will get looked at.

I thought it would be fair to give an update here. I followed the advice of the person handling my support issue and I no longer have the problem. Setting parameter 20 to 0 then back to 2 seemed to resolve my issues.

I did double check that the parameter was already set to 2 before I started and I have assumed this was some sort of Placebo process. But I've been told this resolves the problem frequently.

So clearly there is some sort of firmware bug here, whether they will fix track that down/fix it I don't know, but I have to say the support process was good.

Just a quick update on this. After following the instructions given by the very responsive support person I am still having the issue where occasionally, I would guess once every 50 switches, the manual input doesn't change the state of the light.

I explained this to the support person and they have acknowledged it's a known issue and that a firmware update will be provided in the future to resolve this. No timescale.

Glad I bought an Fibaro Hub now so that I can do the update.

Hope this helps someone.

• Thanks 2

So unfortunately things haven't got better and I have opened another support case. #183294. While the person is trying to be helpful, they seem not to be aware of any forthcoming firmware to address this.

The recommendations have been all the usual ones, soft reset, exclude/include, check all connections (done by a qualified electrician), so I feel like I'm back to square 1. My set-up could work really well, but the infrequent failure is really annoying.

I understand that there are lots of variables, but I'm almost thinking of setting something up next to a video camera on our home security system, not linked to the HC Lite and once or twice a day I will switch it on and off and hopefully be able to catch it not working, then maybe they will believe me.

What I find difficult to understand is that they have not seen this before, but I am heartened that others are seeing the same problem.

• Thanks 1