Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Random switch failures on Double Switch 2 (FGS-223)

Guest PedroRS

Question

Guest PedroRS

Hi guys,

From 1 year ago I have installed in may home five FGS-223 controlling all light and ALL of them are having the same issue.

Randomly they don't react to physical switch request. It means I manually turn off or on the light and the status is not changed (and no noise form the relay).

Sometimes second attempt is working fine but few time I need to switch tree times...

All are working as:

Switch Type 2 - toggle switch (device changes status when switch changes status)

Operating mode - Standard operation

Other configurations are basically default ones since I'm not controlling scenes, etc.

I'm using Zipato controlled, but it's directly controlled by the module as far as I know...

Any idea about the root cause?

Thanks for your support !!

6 minutes ago, 10der said:

@akatar can you export the trace instead of pic

thank you!

ofcourse

Please login or register to see this attachment.

I know now that the problem is caused by the wall controller that i use to control the switch2 on/off

why? no idea

but i think i have to look for a new wallcontroller

11 hours ago, akatar said:

Perhaps it's possible that @petergebruers or @10der or  @A.Socha or anyone else have a look at the pictures. i did already a neighbor request but that didn't changed a thing.

I've send you a PM to discuss this.

8 hours ago, akatar said:

I know now that the problem is caused by the wall controller that i use to control the switch2 on/off

why? no idea

but i think i have to look for a new wallcontroller

Possible, I don't have enough information at this point but I had a quick look and I would say one of your devices is old (that could be the wall controller, but it might be a device like an old Wall Plug that is toggled at the same time) and it causes the last node in a route to send a BEAM, which then blocks the network for 1.1 seconds and also may not be heard in other parts of the network which might cause other nodes to time out and/or resort to explorer frames and use sub optimal routes. At the moment this is speculation but since you've mentioned another device is involved I think it was worth mentioning and replacing the older device makes sense in this case (because we do not know a "cure" for this right now).

On 9/10/2020 at 12:38 AM, akatar said:

After careful analysis the cause of the BEAM-pocalypse was determined to be a Fibaro Wall Plug, first generation, Z-Wave protocol 3.52. The wall controllers are OK. Problem was solved by replacing that plug with a ZW5 version. This is the kind of stuff you can only diagnose with Zniffer.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Andrew Lockhart said:

To me this sort of shows why ZWave isn’t really ready to be sold direct to consumers.

can we tell about ZigBee with you?  :) 

@petergebruers is right, after pressing the wallremote the beam started, i forgot there was a association with that wallplug

I missed that on the zniffer data, peter not.

• Thanks 1

I'm using several double and single switches from Fibaro (all gen. 2). First time I experienced this non-reaction to switch issue was few months ago on Double Switch 2 unit. This unit was working just fine before with 0 errors, since the moment I noticed errors, it was almost unusable. Usually I was able to turn the light on by switch, but then even after many (really many) unsuccessful attempts I had to switch the light off through app. For long time I'm using momentary switches as I use combination of manual and automatic light control and as discussed in some comments above, this is ultimately the best approach for this combination of lights control. Good thing, I noticed the issue only on 1 device so far, bad thing - the device was running FW version 3.4 which I understood above was the one which was targeted to solve the issues with hw switch control. 

So my statement is - at least for momentary switch, FW 3.4 is not solving the problem :-(

Currently I replaced the faulty module with other one with FW 3.3, worked perfectly over one week, I updated it to FW3.4 and still can confirm all works fine so far. Going to play with the faulty one to check further it's behavior and find out if some of the tips like changing parameter 20 will help me restore the functionality of the device or not.

I like my Fibaro based system very much, helped me automate lot of things at home in clever way, but I'm really desperate when bugs like this prevents you from enjoining elemental functionality... ...never get enough confidence to use it as primary security solution in my house.

• Thanks 1

I too had a problem on one of my external lights. The issue of random switching remained even when I replaced the module with a new FSG-223. I then disconnected the external switch (S1 & S2) and let the module work on Application Control only. Happy to say that both circuits are now stable and retain their state normally. The external switch had moisture inside and that was sending signals to the S2 input triggering the lights on and off. FYI for any others facing a similar issue.