Jump to content

Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

 

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

 

As a member you can:

  •     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

 

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team


  • 4

Random switch failures on Double Switch 2 (FGS-223)


PedroRS

Question

Hi guys,

 

From 1 year ago I have installed in may home five FGS-223 controlling all light and ALL of them are having the same issue.

Randomly they don't react to physical switch request. It means I manually turn off or on the light and the status is not changed (and no noise form the relay).

Sometimes second attempt is working fine but few time I need to switch tree times...

 

All are working as:

Switch Type 2 - toggle switch (device changes status when switch changes status)

Operating mode - Standard operation

 

Other configurations are basically default ones since I'm not controlling scenes, etc.

I'm using Zipato controlled, but it's directly controlled by the module as far as I know...

 

Any idea about the root cause?

Thanks for your support !!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Recommended Posts

  • 0
43 minutes ago, marco87 said:

connect as a slave hub to SmartThings

attantion here. somtimes HC(L) stay as slave sfter this operation. yes it's fantom bug.

do not try to add any slave controllers to HC(L).

for HC(L) slave controller is alwsays HC. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

I'm looking for some dual relays to smartify some existing 3-way switches and landed on the Fibaro double switch 2. However, I came across this thread and feel like I should hold off until this issue is resolves. I"m posting to add my voice to all of yours here in hopes Fibaro will resolve this issue soon.

 

thanks for all the troubleshooting you all have done.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Out of interest did anyone else get a case number or any acknowledgement when sending a request? I heard nothing at all back from Fiabro support when I contact them as suggested

 

Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 1/23/2020 at 2:54 PM, Robb said:

Out of interest did anyone else get a case number or any acknowledgement when sending a request? I heard nothing at all back from Fiabro support when I contact them as suggested

 

Thanks

Rob, who did you contact? I normally get an auto email back from their support email address with a case id.

 

Also some very interesting news. Got an email from Fibaro a few days back saying that they have a new version of the firmware that is going through quality control, they are sending me a device with it on, for me to try out, I'm hoping they've already done some of their own tests.

 

When it arrives I'll try and repeat the same test I did previously in the YouTube video and upload.

Edited by Andrew Lockhart
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 3/11/2020 at 10:35 AM, Andrew Lockhart said:

Rob, who did you contact? I normally get an auto email back from their support email address with a case id.

 

Also some very interesting news. Got an email from Fibaro a few days back saying that they have a new version of the firmware that is going through quality control, they are sending me a device with it on, for me to try out, I'm hoping they've already done some of their own tests.

 

When it arrives I'll try and repeat the same test I did previously in the YouTube video and upload.

 

Sorry for the late reply, the new login system was being a pain for me.

 

I sent the following email to

Please login or register to see this link.

 

“Hello

 

Myself like many others as can be seen on the forum here

 

I have experienced this since day 1, but I understand you have now recognised and replicated the issue in house under case number #169058

 

I can confirm I also have the same issue and as suggested have made a support ticket to ensure this is not put down to a confined single case. It seems to be an issue on all FGS-223’s I have 2 myself and both suffer with the same issue

 

Thanks

 

Kind Regards

 

Robb”

 

I never heard anything back, either way did you receive the device, how did you get on with the new firmware?

 

I would love to get this fixed as I have said previously it’s the only smart device in my house that doesn’t work correctly and gets my wife saying why cant we just have normal light switches. If we can get this sorted it would be fantastic

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 3/20/2020 at 10:00 AM, Robb said:

 

Sorry for the late reply, the new login system was being a pain for me.

 

I sent the following email to

Please login or register to see this link.

 

 

“Hello

 

Myself like many others as can be seen on the forum here

 

I have experienced this since day 1, but I understand you have now recognised and replicated the issue in house under case number #169058

 

I can confirm I also have the same issue and as suggested have made a support ticket to ensure this is not put down to a confined single case. It seems to be an issue on all FGS-223’s I have 2 myself and both suffer with the same issue

 

Thanks

 

Kind Regards

 

Robb”

 

I never heard anything back, either way did you receive the device, how did you get on with the new firmware?

 

I would love to get this fixed as I have said previously it’s the only smart device in my house that doesn’t work correctly and gets my wife saying why cant we just have normal light switches. If we can get this sorted it would be fantastic


Hi,

Unfortunately  it’s all gone quiet at the moment, I get the occasional response back saying that there is no update at the moment. Starting to lose faith a little. I suspect they have been somewhat hit by CV19, so I’m not exactly high on their priority list.

In all this time, I’ve not actually spoken to them on the phone. I guess it’s time for that. :-)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Guess what. I've been working with Fibaro showing them videos of the problem and now there is an a firmware update available.

v3.4 is available to download and I'm told that it resolves this issue. I'll obviously be running the same tests again to see.

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2020_07/image.png.1f90f2f85d345eb9df49958653d374f6.png" />

Edited by Andrew Lockhart
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
4 minutes ago, Andrew Lockhart said:

Guess what. I've been working with Fibaro showing them videos of the problem and now there is an a firmware update available.

v3.4 is available to download and I'm told that it resolves this issue. I'll obviously be running the same tests again to see.

 

That's great news. Anyone in the UK interested in getting sorting something out for those of us who don't use a Fibaro controller?

 

I personally use Smartthings so would need to hire / borrow a Fibaro Home Centre to do the firmware update, possibly we could move 1 around the forum to complete the updates?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 7/28/2020 at 11:27 AM, Robb said:

That's great news. Anyone in the UK interested in getting sorting something out for those of us who don't use a Fibaro controller?

 

I personally use Smartthings so would need to hire / borrow a Fibaro Home Centre to do the firmware update, possibly we could move 1 around the forum to complete the updates?

 

To be honest it might be easier to buy one on eBay, do your updates and then resell. Today there is one an HCLite for £75

Edited by Andrew Lockhart
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
  • Inquirer
  • Same problem for me using Home Assistant now, but I can bother a friend who is having a Fibaro controller.

    I keep waiting for your feedback!

    Thanks!!!!

     

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    • 0
    3 hours ago, PedroRS said:

    Same problem for me using Home Assistant now, but I can bother a friend who is having a Fibaro controller.

    I keep waiting for your feedback!

    Thanks!!!!

     

     

    I can't reproduce the problem anymore with the new firmware 3.4. So I'd say they've fixed it. I could upload a 10 minute video of me turning on and off a switch, but I shall not as there is nothing to see. Whether they have completely fixed the problem I can never say, but previously it used to happen once every 50->100 switches. I've not made it happen in 10 mins of continually turning the switch on and off, so I'm happy. Hopefully you will see the same.

    • Thanks 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    • 0

    @Andrew Lockhart I liked the video you uploaded above, very amusing.  And very clear too - it seems your persistence has been rewarded by real action taken by Fibaro. Well done and thanks!  

     

    I have fourteen FGS-223 units and two FGS-213 units, all purchased this year and installed since April.  My physical switches are momentary, with parameter 20 set to 0.  One advantage of using momentary switches is that the switch position cannot get "out of sequence" (as in the second failure towards the end of your video above).  

     

    I do occasionally find that a light fails to respond to a press of the momentary switch.  Less often than one in ten presses, but more often than one in fifty.  Following a failure to respond, no light has ever failed to respond to a second press (unlike the first failure in your video).  Another advantage of using momentary switches perhaps.

     

    Today I am updating one-by-one to firmware 3.4, "the Lockhart release".  I'll see what happens and reply again...

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    • 0

    Just to add: 

    i have a scene: if wallplug is on, turn switch 2 on. with fw 3.3  time to react was less then halve a second. with the new firmware 3.4 it takes about 2 seconds to switch on/off

     

    more people that have this problem?

     

    • Thanks 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    • 0

    @akatar I have similar scenes and have noticed that the response time is sometimes rather slow (2s) particularly if I have not used the switch for a while. The normal response time is quite fast (<0.5s).  This was my experience with 3.3 and it’s the same with 3.4.

     

    @Andrew Lockhart All my switches are running 3.4 now, no upgrade issues to report.  Since the upgrade, I have noticed one apparent failure to respond which was quite disappointing but I couldn’t then reproduce it.  How is it with you?

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    • 0

    I have about 25 of these in my home.

     

    Although rare, this issue is 100% real. I have it happen from time to time. Usually they will "miss" one toggle, and listen to the next... Once or twice I had it miss many toggles in a row.

     

    My HCL is arriving tomorrow so I can do an update on all of them. Will post my results in a week or so.

     

    Fingers crossed!

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    • 0

    Aware it’s quite real. Took me months to prove to Fibaro that it was. But since the update I’ve not seen the issue once.

    i suspect quite a few people will be bUying and selling HC Lites via eBay to sort this.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    • 0

    So I have sniffed some traffic, what has changed for sure:

     

    Parameter 53 and 57 (57 only on double switches of course) now set to 0 actually works... Before if you set it to zero it would broadcast the current wattage every second, non-stop. I recommend setting this to zero unless u really need this functionality... This causes quite a pause, especially on double switches, as it needs some sort of time span to calculate wattage used. So on the double switches, if you remotely toggle S1 and then immediately remotely toggle S2, S2 will have to wait for the wattage calculation. At least that was the case with 3.3. Because of the buggy firmware I don't use the lifeline associations so I cant really test without ripping my scripts apart.

     

    Also fixed is, if you set the state of the switch via z-wave (eg: not physically), it doesn't broadcast the state to the controller. So there's another pointless packet that's not being sent anymore.

     

    Hoping its more then this, but from the outside that's what I can tell for sure.

     

    What has not been fixed is Assoc 2-5 sending a double packet on S1/S2... Not sure why they also send a multicast packet as well as the standard report... But 2 packets instead of one.

     

    Common Fibaro... Z-wave 101... The least amount of traffic as possible ;) If you are worried about comparability with 'other' controllers then make the multicasts enable / disable via parameter.

    Please login or register to see this attachment.

    Edited by anom3
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    • 0

    Early times, about 36 hours since I updated my final switch...

     

    Things appear to be quite a bit more stable.

     

    The only missed presses I have thus far noticed are ones caused by a quick double click.

     

    I just did an hour long clean of our place moving between 2 floors turning many lights on and off as I went along... Did not miss a single press.

     

    Fingers crossed!

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    • 0

    well, i found the time to check my slow reacting switch2

     

    Lot's of problems, it is the only fibaro switch 2 i have, all my other devices are fine.

    Perhaps it's possible that @petergebruers or @10der or  @A.Socha or anyone else have a look at the pictures. i did already a neighbor request but that didn't changed a thing.

    Please login or register to see this attachment.

    Please login or register to see this attachment.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Join the conversation

    You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

    Guest
    Answer this question...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoji are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

    ×
    ×
    • Create New...