Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Block scenes - findings and opinion

jack.daniels

Hi, everyone

I am also happy HCL owner from last week :)

IMO the block-scenes are the most buggy thing in this SW:

1.You have no chance to perform auto OFF scene without killing other instances (which is not available for blocks), and even if u set instance limit to 10, situation cold be like this:

-We have a scene waiting 10 minutes for a motion sensor to stop breaching. Every motion (8 sec by default) it will trigger the scene.

Motion-> Instance 1 - start counting 10 min (after 10 mi it will see there was other motins and will do nothing) - light will still be ON

Motion-> Instance 2 - start counting 10 min (after 10 mi it will see there was other motins and will do nothing) - light will still be ON

Motion-> Instance 10 - start counting 10 min (after 10 mi it will see there was other motins and will do nothing) - light will still be ON

Motion-> Instance 11 - not started because of scene instance limit - light will still be ON

%killOtherInstances should be added as option in GUI

2. This crazy and\then in designer - absoltely not clear how to use it. If u delete conditional block in a middle, it will delete all the rest blocks in a scene.

3. Taking in a look this blocks designer is not really stable - user should be able to see the resulting LUA code, atleast after save.

TY

Edited by jack.daniels

Guest FredrikKarlsson

I things this is just a recently introduced bug in block scenes. I am sure that it will be fixed.

Auto-off is generally a bit tricky to manage in scenes, as there are multiple parallel flows. Takes some thinking. 

Now, I think it is worth pointing out that for this reason I usually try to get switches that handles auto-off within the device itself for this reason, where I need this functionality. If the device handles the timer, then the parallelism. Is removed from the problem, and life is simpler :-)

• Topic Author
  • 6 hours ago, FredrikKarlsson said:

Auto-off is generally a bit tricky to manage in scenes, as there are multiple parallel flows. Takes some thinking. 

Actually, not. The most effective way is to use %killOtherInscances. This way we can use multiple triggers in a single auto-OFF scene:

-Door sensor

-Motion sensor

-The light switch itself, or any other light switch you want to link

Every triggered event will start new counter, cancelling the possible pending one.

Edited by jack.daniels
    • Like 1

Guest FredrikKarlsson
    35 minutes ago, jack.daniels said:

Actually, not. The most effective way is to use %killOtherInscances. This way we can use multiple triggers in a single auto-OFF scene:

-Door sensor

-Motion sensor

-The light switch itself, or any other light switch you want to link

Every triggered event will start new counter, cancelling the possible pending one.

Ok, sure. Not sure i would agree that implementing a feature in Lua code in the controller that may have been implemented directly in the hardware already could be considered the most effective way. But yes you are right - Killing all previous instances will do the trick. Most often scenes are not doing multiple things in their loop.

• Topic Author
  • On 05.11.2017 at 4:26 PM, FredrikKarlsson said:

Not sure i would agree that implementing a feature in Lua code in the controller that may have been implemented directly in the hardware already

Actually, any scene in fibaro hc* generates lua script on a server side. I just make sugestions, same as we have a feature: Run scene when hc starts, to add new one: Kill other instances.

This will help pretty well for block-scene.

• 4 weeks later...

Do I understand this correctly that if one scene (ie: motion = safe 300s then turn off light " X")  is running and counting down whilst another instance begins, they will cancel each other out and never turn off?  I am having this trouble randomly with an auto off scene. 

• Topic Author
  • 4 hours ago, Smarterelec said:

they will cancel each other out and never turn off?

The scene started counting already will finish counting and NOT start action, because motion happened.

The scene triggered by last motion event will not being started at all (because of instance limit reached)

Edited by jack.daniels