Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Why do my Fibaro Wall Plugs keep going dead?

Ole

Question

I manage three houses (home, work, parents house) using Fibaro Home Center (both HCL and HC2) and for controlling the panelheaters I use a lot of wall plugs. Why on earth do they keep going dead? Every month between 1-3 of them go dead. I then have to force remove from Home Center, reset the wall plug and then ad it again. This very rearly happens with any other device, but with the wall plugs, very often. Anybody have an idea why that is? It is very frustrating.

Have you tried to make a Mesh Network Reconfiguration?

Don't forget to press save afterwards.

EDIT:

Forget this,  I saw that you had created a new thread

Edited by RH_Dreambox

• Inquirer
  • 9 minutes ago, RH_Dreambox said:

Have you tried to make a Mesh Network Reconfiguration?

Don't forget to press save afterwards.

EDIT:

Forget this,  I saw that you had created a new thread

Quick question since you recommended the action I took. Can I see anywhere if it has finished a reconfiguration?

Thanks!

Or:

Please login or register to see this code.

If something went wrong : )

• Inquirer
  • 5 minutes ago, I.Srodka said:

Or:

Yeah I get a long list of 

• Inquirer
  • 19 hours ago, I.Srodka said:

Or:

@I.Srodka What do I do then? I get that failed message many times during the mesh reconfiguration.

I did a mesh reconfiguration yesterday at work and didn't get any failed messages. Today, two dead wall plugs. As you can see the temp is now wrong too in the room at the bottom from the dead wall plug having been ON way too long. The systems have become totally unreliable. If it goes dead while OFF the room will be freezing (winter here in Norway). If it goes dead while ON the room will be way too hot and its a waste of money.

What is going on?

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Edited by Ole

@Ole, it seems that those Wall Plugs are on the edge of their range.

Please conduct a Z-Wave range test.

• Inquirer
  • That can't be can it? The wall plug that went dead yesterday is in the same room as the HCL.

• Inquirer
  • 1 hour ago, I.Srodka said:

@Ole!

In that case I suggest you to send them on warranty.

I will PM you the details.

I will have to examine it further before I send them back, because it would mean that I have to return almost half of my wall plugs. Will try range test on all of them first.

• Inquirer
  • Well, my wall plugs keep going dead for no apparent reason. The one that went dead today, I just unplugged it. I waited for a little bit and plugged it back in and it worked again. Range test result is glowing green. I have about one dead wall plug a week, and it varies which one it is. Sometimes I can just unplug it and plug it back in to get it to work. Other times I have to reset it and re-ad it to the home center to get it to work. It is so frustrating. (I was considering using this system to help my parents manage the heating at their summer house during winter but it is just so unreliable that I would risk the house freezing in winter, potentially causing huge damage to everything water related or heating being on full blast for months wasting lots of money.) I have been wondering if it could help to buy a new and bigger antenna for the HCL. Has anyone tried that and what was your experience?

• Like 1

I have got the same problem with some of my WallPlugs - but only with Gen5.

The „old“ versions of the WallPlug works without loosing connection at the same position where the Gen5-Version loose connection after a view days of working problemless.

I tried 9 pieces of WallPlug Gen5 - not any one of thes WP worked longer than ~10 days. After this time the connection was lost. Some needed a reset to get a new connection and some needed only a short powerless time to work again.

But all my „old“ Versions of WallPlugs work fine at the same positions where the Gen5 failed.

A new longer antenna didn‘t help anything.

Now im using a RelaisSwitch behind the socket, because it is not possible to buy the „old“ version of WallPlug (without Gen5), wich worked absolutly problemless.

Edited by FarmerG
    Ergänzung

• Inquirer
  • 22 minutes ago, FarmerG said:

I have got the same problem with some of my WallPlugs - but only with Gen5.

The „old“ versions of the WallPlug works without loosing connection at the same position where the Gen5-Version loose connection after a view days of working problemless.

I tried 9 pieces of WallPlug Gen5 - not any one of thes WP worked longer than ~10 days. After this time the connection was lost. Some needed a reset to get a new connection and some needed only a short powerless time to work again.

But all my „old“ Versions of WallPlugs work fine at the same positions where the Gen5 failed.

A new longer antenna didn‘t help anything.

Now im using a RelaisSwitch behind the socket, because it is not possible to buy the „old“ version of WallPlug (without Gen5), wich worked absolutly problemless.

Thanks for your reply! I found a cheap antenna that I ordered of Ebay and I'll give that a try. Interesting about new and old wall plugs. I assumed they had the same quality/size antenna on both versions, but of course they may be different. At work were the system is most unstable, I have only new wall plugs. I'll keep in mind what version wall plug it is the next time one goes dead.

• Inquirer
  • Does Fibaro have any comment on this? It does seem that the problem with Fibaro Wall plugs often going dead is happening to the FGWP102 and not the 101.

• Inquirer
  • Another one dead today, also FGWP102.

• Inquirer
  • Two more FGWP102 dead today. When it is often enough to unplug it and plug it back in again to get it to work, that tells me that a firmware upgrade could improve the stability greatly. What do you think @Fibaro? Since we are approaching spring and summer I will hold out a while longer. But for next winter I will try a another system I think. I am fed up with arriving at work finding one or more offices, either super hot or freezing cold because a wall plug has gone dead.

Edited by Ole
    • Like 1

• Inquirer
  • Another Fibaro 102 wall plug dead at the office. Another 102 dead at home. The 101's are still stable, a few non-Fibaro wall plugs are also stable. Come on @Fibaro. This is not a coincidence. The 102's are really unstable. Can you please comment on this and wether you are looking into to it or not? @I.Srodka

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1

I got the same problem as you with the FGWPF-102. It works fine about several days and from one day to another it stops communicating with the controller or any other device in the network.

If i plug it in, the ring glows green for a second. According to the manual it means that the wall plug is included into a network. I just can switch the plug on and off with the b-button on the device (on=ring glows always white) but it don´t updates it´s status for the controller.

I also started a range test, but it ends in a red ring.

I hoped that fibaro released some new firmware to solve this problem but after reading the forum threads here i thougth that fibaro don´t help users who don´t use a fibaro home central.

So, the only solution i´ve got,  is to reset and reinclude this device. Today this happens the second time after i bought it 4 weeks before. But reincluding and reconfigure takes time and all this makes the device too unreliable for home automation. 

Does anyone have any other solution in combination with a razberry module, or possibly know the cause and how to prevent this?

• Thanks 1

• Inquirer
  • 10 hours ago, dtw said:

I got the same problem as you with the FGWPF-102. It works fine about several days and from one day to another it stops communicating with the controller or any other device in the network.

If i plug it in, the ring glows green for a second. According to the manual it means that the wall plug is included into a network. I just can switch the plug on and off with the b-button on the device (on=ring glows always white) but it don´t updates it´s status for the controller.

I also started a range test, but it ends in a red ring.

I hoped that fibaro released some new firmware to solve this problem but after reading the forum threads here i thougth that fibaro don´t help users who don´t use a fibaro home central.

So, the only solution i´ve got,  is to reset and reinclude this device. Today this happens the second time after i bought it 4 weeks before. But reincluding and reconfigure takes time and all this makes the device too unreliable for home automation. 

Does anyone have any other solution in combination with a razberry module, or possibly know the cause and how to prevent this?

Hi! Since this is happening to you too and you don't have a Home Center (which I do) it is reasonable to say that the error is in the hardware or the firmware of the 102 wall plug. Please Fibaro, can we have some input on this? I have heard nothing from you in ages about this issue.

I am using the Aeonlabs ZW075 and do not have any of such issues at all (10 Amps max). Try to get them refunded and change to something reliable.

I am also using the devolo wall switches and they also have not shown any failure for almost a year now (template is limited but OK).

I do suspect as the electric heaters are for sure a bigger load, that there are some transients when switching on and off and this is causing the Z-wave part of the electronics to 'halt/freeze'. So even a SW update of the plugs would not help.

The manual states there is a relay, so this is for sure the source of the spikes, most probably causing the device to halt.

Edited by kunoch