Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

[SOLVED]Single Switch 2 - installation without neutral wire

KubaZ

Question

Hi, I have question about Single Switch 2. It is written that it need neutral wire. Unfortunately I dont have it where I want apply switch. Is it possible somehow to install SS2 without neutral wire?

Hi,

From my knowledge, the answer is NO. If N is needed there is no way you could skip it during installaltion. 

You could install SS2 not next to the switch, but inside an electrical box (most often under the ceiling).

Second solution would be to use Dimmer instead. It doesn't require N cable.

Hi @KubaZ!

Unfortunately, it is not possible to install our Single Switch 2 without the neutral wire. You can check out

Please login or register to see this link.

(

), maybe it will suggest you some solutions.

But as @Danielox said, it is possible to install this switch directly under the ceiling, but then, you have to control it only via the Home Center /  system and not via the physical button.

I have installed one in the electrical box under the celing. The wires from the physical button and the wires from the licht came out here. I had all the wires that i needed. 

• Inquirer
  • I find out neutral wire, but i have other problem. I have 2-way Lighting with alternative 2-wire System. I found it here: 

but that configuration is with Relay Switch. Could someone show me how instal Single Switch 2 in it? It has different connection that Relay Switch.

1 hour ago, KubaZ said:

I find out neutral wire, but i have other problem. I have 2-way Lighting with alternative 2-wire System. I found it here: 

but that configuration is with Relay Switch. Could someone show me how instal Single Switch 2 in it? It has different connection that Relay Switch.

I always refer to those diagrams, but you are right indeed, they are not 100% correct for the newer "Switch 2". Good catch. But they can be used if you ignore the "I" input drawn, the FGS-2x3 does not have it - it is as if the I is permanently connected to L. But the other connections are correct.

• Inquirer
  • I did it without dla L, but one switch (manual) not working in that case, could You scratch at that picture how would you do it? Then i will see  if I did it ok

Edited by KubaZ

18 minutes ago, KubaZ said:

I did it without dla L, but one switch (manual) not working in that case, could You scratch at that picture how would you do it? Then i will see  if I did it ok

No no no, I said "without I" (pronounced "eye") - not "without L" (pronounced "el"). All switches need "N" and "L". The dimmer can work without "N" with certain limitations. I've never seen a diagram without "L"

Do I understand you correctly - you now have a different location for the switch? And now you have "N"? But in this location you do not have "L"? That is not going to work...

Maybe we can do it the other way around, I have done this for a few people (but sometimes, via PM). You draw an exact diagram of all locations and the wires going between them...

Edit: I am not trying to waste your time here... You'll have to make a diagram with all the wires for yourself anyway!

Edited by petergebruers

• Inquirer
  • I have exacly the same situation as graph with relay switch. I made some graph, is it ok?

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Yes, the colours are a bit awkward, but the connections are fine! This is assuming, you really have "momentary switches" = push buttons. I'm asking because if you are renovating, you usually have "toggle switches". Push buttons for light switches are not really very common. It is possible though, if your old wiring used a latching relay. So you've bought new switches?

If i have wrong please correct me, but i think that i drowning it correct. 

Edited by Reinhold

• Inquirer
  • I have switches that it stays in the position which I switch it. It is not coming back.

1 hour ago, KubaZ said:

I have switches that it stays in the position which I switch it. It is not coming back.

Well, so it is a good thing I asked... In English, that's a toggle switch. So your schematic does not apply and also not the one posted by @Reinhold.

Please, make a drawing of what you have. Switches, junction boxes, colours of the wires. And please post some photographs. I cannot keep on guessing what you actually have, how much space there is left (to put a module), if there's N and L. I am sorry, I have to repeat this message. I am not trying to waste your time, on the contrary, I am trying to save time in the long run! I have to put some time and effort in analyzing answering your question too. If the wiring is not immediately obvious (which, at this point, we have already established...) you'll have to make a schematic diagram with all the wires for yourself anyway!

I thought that i was thinking the right way. But now am i curious what's the right way to do it.

But @KubaZ i agree with @petergebruers you must give him the information he asks for. He can't guessing what you have in your home. 

• Inquirer
  • OK here is everything:

Have you where the licht is placed a L wire?

And have you there space to place a module?

• Inquirer
  • I dont understand first sentense, about secound, I have place for it

@KubaZ what's the location of the licht? And do you have there al L wire?

Edited by Reinhold

• Inquirer
  • As graph shows it is 2 way switch configuration, so L comes from 1 switch by blue and  green wire. Q wire goes to light

Edited by KubaZ