Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Google Home Integration - feedback

T.Konopka

Question

Hello!

We are happy to announce that Google Home integration with FIBARO System is available now. You can control your FIBARO system with your voice. Interest in voice integration continues to grow throughout the world. Speak to Google Home and gain control over most of your smart devices and scenes. We will continue to expand the list of supported commands and add support for additional languages in the nearest future.

Most important features:

• Works with Google Home and any other devices compatible with Google Assistant
  • You can communicate with English
  • Requires FibaroID and configured Remote Access
  • FAQ:

Please login or register to see this link.

• Manual:

Honestly, I was hoping that you would eventually use the Google Smart Home API [https://developers.google.com/actions/smarthome/] and you will not have to use 'talk to Fibaro' command.
Other smart device manufacturers have made their integrations using the above API and then everything works from Google Home / Google Assistant directly. For example, 'Ok Google, turn on the lights in the living room' immediately turns on the lights.
If there is such API, why not use it? Who will want to repeat the whole 'Ok Google, tell Fibaro to...' thing every time.

Edited by qbasob
  • Like 4

Can anyone say specifically what syntax they use for best results with Google Home?

So far I've established that Google Home shortcuts don't work, so every single time I have to enter "Fibaro Mode" by telling Google "I want to speak to Fibaro". 

BTW, this is a terrible, terrible keyword for entering Fibaro mode, because for some reason many times Google thinks I'm saying "tomorrow" instead of "Fibaro" or doesn't understand the word at all. And since shortcuts don't work, I'm stuck with using only this word. I've tried multiple variations - Fihbaro, Feebaro, accenting the first part of the word, the second part, I still only get recognition maybe 1 in 3 times. Google Home works just fine for other commands, it doesn't seem to have an issue with my pronunciation, I use it in native mode with Hue and Netatmo and in indirect mode with Harmony. 

Speaking of Harmony, if I say "Hey Google, tell Harmony to turn on my home theater" it says "getting Harmony" and activates the scene, whereas in this case it says "getting Fibaro" and I get the guy's voice asking me "which scene?" or "which device?" - which almost never works if I then specify which scene or device. I even tried to say "Turn on the floor lamp" after being asked which device, it still refuses to do anything if called this way. I have only managed to get it to work if I ask to talk to Fibaro, I thus enter Fibaro mode, and I then ask the guy to turn on a scene or device.

I saw people (and documentation) mentioning that device & scene names matter, have you had better results if using silly names, like "Fred" instead of "floor lamp"? I've named each wall socket device differently, no two have the same name, so confusion for it shouldn't occur (in theory).

Also, what have been your results with slightly different syntax, like saying "my floor lamp" instead of "the floor lamp"? I think it works, but have been too frustrated by its "enter Fibaro mode" voice recognition so far to try out too many options.

I wouldn't even mind much that it's a non-native integration with Google Home if it worked like Harmony, whereas I can just say one single longer sentence and get the result or have a working shortcut that simplifies the query, but the way it works so far (at least with my voice/knowledge) is completely ridiculous, it's like having no integration at all. I could get off my ass and get the phone from any room in the house in the time it takes to turn on a scene or a device, even excluding the horrible reliability. And no, I don't think the previously mentioned hub is a solution, that thing costs 200 AUD, I could get a Vera or a Smartthings hub for that amount and just replace the entire Fibaro system. At the moment, I'm still hoping that my ignorance is causing the problem and that there are better questions I can ask Google Home to achieve the desired result.

Thanks for reading the entire rant and in advance for any help :)

with a "real" google home integration, this would be amazing to say "hey google, unlock the front door", instead of currently, having to use a secondary bridge with only on/off commands to control fibaro actors... 

Edited by matt1981
edit

Hi all, 

You can also use IFTTT, i have put up a little How to on my site 

It works for me ok just takes a bit to setup, give it a try as its free.

11 hours ago, FrancoBG said:

Hi I am FrancoBG I write from Italy (Bergamo), I read all the answers you wrote on the topic Google Home, I saw various links Z-Wave Automation Bridge (I understand that it is a raspberry with dedicated software). It is a shame that the integration between Google Home and Fibaro Home Center with the Italian language does not work, but after reading the 6 pages of the forum, I understand that at present it does not work well even with English. It would be nice to understand if and when problems will be fixed and you will support other languages besides English... but as a computer scientist, I understand that nothing is simple, so I look forward to trusting.

Unfortunately I have already purchased the Google home and the mini and while waiting for Fibaro technicians to solve the problems mentioned above, I would like to use it for the only purpose for which I purchased them ... and that is to use it for home automation.

I have a few questions for Matt1981 and anyone who can answer them...

Purchased Automation Bridge, or did you buy raspberry and download software?
You give the command to Google Home/Syri directly, Ok Google/Switch off the kitchen lights or you have to always do more steps... for example Ok Google/Ask for Fiber/Switch off the kitchen lights

Thanks

@Fibaro chose to go with the "actions" integration instead of "home control" its why its sucks so much...  normally with a "real" integration, like all the other home automation systems that went the correct route, its a simple "hey google, turn open the blinds", fibaro decided to short sell their customers. hence why the experience is so crappy... 

Currently, the ha-bridge/automationbridge is the only sure bet way to use google home without the all the errors and issues everyone has experienced so far with @Fibaro's failed attempt.. 

trust me it sucks.. i actually had all my google homes, five in total shipped to me five months ago from my family in California.. ive been dealing with this since the day @Fibaro launched their "failed attempt at integrating" google assistant.   but, @Fibaro is super secretive with updates and when things get fixed so at this rate, i highly doubt we will see a fix for this anytime soon.. 

Edited by matt1981
edit
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, pg12575 said:

@Robert Folbigg Hi Robert, do you know if there is a maximum number of device limit for the home automation bridge? I am building a two HC2 setup with master-slave config and over 150 Z-wave devices. Thanks!

@pg12575,

I don’t believe there is any limitations on Google Home integration however if you also want to use Siri the standard Apple 100 device limit applies.

Hi, I found the right faq page: 

but I cannot go past inserting password of fibaro-id and if I ask to list devices, there are no devices...

Any hint?

thanks

R

Trust me, it's extremely disappointing once you finish the set up and attempt to use it... If you ask it to turn on your bathroom lights, it keeps responding with "which room?" then never works.... They chose to use "actions" instead of actual home control that all the reputable smart homes and hubs went with.... 

• Like 2

• Inquirer
  • Link now works. Sorry for that.

@matt1981 - what's the name of the room? In FAQ you have this command: "Ok Google/Hey Google, talk to/speak to/I want speak to /ask FIBARO to turn off the lights in the [room]." Do you this command exactly?

my command is verbatim as required.  "hey google, talk to fibaro.  getting fibaro.  start controlling your home.  turn on the master better light. few seconds later it then responds with "what room?."

it works two of five attempts.. when if ever, do you guys plan on going the perferred route of adding the app to "home control??" because with actions it takes a ridiculously long time to just turn on or even dim a light....

• Like 3

there is such a thing.  Fibaro chose not to go that route, for some very odd reason.. it could be because they prefer the echo, who knows... 

Hi

I am still stuck after inserting password for fibaro-id. After that, If I ask to list devices I am told that there are no devices and if I try to select hc2, I get the list (with only 1 HC2) but then error once I try to select it...

any hint?

thanks

R

your in the same boat as a lot of users that are stuck at the same point.  i gave up long ago after five failed attempts to even set it up.  then, once it was set up, it never worked... i ended up going with @skarotech bridge.  it is stupid easy to use and setup.  you plug it in and it finds all VD's, lights, what ever else has an ID number on your HC2 automatically without any programing.  heres his site  

=

@

The "integration" will remain with commands "talk to/speak to/I want speak to /ask FIBARO" or you will add the app to "home control"?

Just let me know to decide if I'll sell it on ebay until the other enthusiasts will find the problem with this integration or... I will wait for a "correct" integration.

I am very disappointed about the result of this...

I already have an Echo but don't use it as we mainly use Google devices. I noticed fibaro now have integration with Google home so went out and bought a google home mini today. I just tried to set it up but there are a few issues and in hindsight, I probably should have checked the forum first.

Firstly when in the Google home app and you say "hey google talk to fibaro" no setup link appears. I tried this several times and scoured the forum. I eventually tried the google assistant app on my phone and the link appears. Perhaps the knowledge base should be more clear.... So I got it linked and everything and now when I say "he google talk to fibaro", it comes up "alright getting fibaro", then says "I couldn't find any devices". 

I actually have 3x HC2 setup on my home.fibaro.com account (1 at home and 1 in each of my stores). How does this work as how will it know which one to communicate with?

On 12/30/2017 at 7:52 AM, froogle said:

I already have an Echo but don't use it as we mainly use Google devices. I noticed fibaro now have integration with Google home so went out and bought a google home mini today. I just tried to set it up but there are a few issues and in hindsight, I probably should have checked the forum first.

Firstly when in the Google home app and you say "hey google talk to fibaro" no setup link appears. I tried this several times and scoured the forum. I eventually tried the google assistant app on my phone and the link appears. Perhaps the knowledge base should be more clear.... So I got it linked and everything and now when I say "he google talk to fibaro", it comes up "alright getting fibaro", then says "I couldn't find any devices". 

I actually have 3x HC2 setup on my home.fibaro.com account (1 at home and 1 in each of my stores). How does this work as how will it know which one to communicate with?

try hey google ask fibaro to to list Home Center devices .. then you get a list you can choose from designated as #1 Serial No. then #2 Serial No. and so on, . I conquered that bit, but I cant get fibaro dude to connect to the selected hc2..

I still feel it may be as I am on the new beta ? Anyone got it working ?

Cheers,

al.

2 hours ago, alandee said:

try hey google ask fibaro to to list Home Center devices .. then you get a list you can choose from designated as #1 Serial No. then #2 Serial No. and so on, . I conquered that bit, but I cant get fibaro dude to connect to the selected hc2..

I still feel it may be as I am on the new beta ? Anyone got it working ?

Cheers,

al.

I can get it working but it is a poor integration as others have said.

When I say "hey google, talk to fibaro", sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't (even though other commands work). When it does talk to fibaro you can say "list home centers" and it gives the list, in my case 3 different ones. I initially thought you had to say the serial number to get it to connect but you say number 1, or 2, or 3. Maybe that's your problem.

It then seems to default to that home center the next time you command it, but I will say "hey, google, talk to fibaro", it replies "talking to fibaro"it replies with "which device" and I have to say "living room light" again. I also tried commanding a different device and it is the same.

At the moment I am stuck with an alexa in the living room to control fibaro and a google home mini for everything else.