Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Google Home Integration - feedback

T.Konopka

Question

Hello!

We are happy to announce that Google Home integration with FIBARO System is available now. You can control your FIBARO system with your voice. Interest in voice integration continues to grow throughout the world. Speak to Google Home and gain control over most of your smart devices and scenes. We will continue to expand the list of supported commands and add support for additional languages in the nearest future.

Most important features:

• Works with Google Home and any other devices compatible with Google Assistant
  • You can communicate with English
  • Requires FibaroID and configured Remote Access
  • FAQ:

Please login or register to see this link.

• Manual:

@froogle Hi, I can select the HC2 OK, and it connects to the HC2 but it can't find any devices ( Discover devices command ) comes back with I can't find any devices ..

It does appear very semantic driven though, so, and as I say I can't even get mine going, I would have thought the command would have been after the correct HC2 is selected, and rooms and devices discovered, something more like ; "hey google ask fibaro to turn on the living room light ", assuming the living room light is a discovered device on that HC2. You could also try I think,  "hey goolgle ask fibaro to turn on lights in the living room" assuming the living room is a discovered room.

So what I'm saying is, even though I can't seem to get mine going  ... you shouldn't have to drop into fibaro each time to do something, you should be able to expand on the connection that exists .. It seems to me once, discovered, they should be directly accessible through "Hey Google, Ask Fibaro to ....." According to the FAQ, you shouldn't need to actually talk directly to Fibaro once it's operational .. although I may be very wrong :)

Reference :

You: “Ok/Hey Google, talk to/speak to/I want speak to /ask FIBARO to discover [scenes/rooms/programs/switchable devices/ programmable devices/ thermostats/lights/cameras/doors and windows].”
Google Home: “Start controlling Your home.”

Ok Google/Hey Google, talk to/speak to/I want speak to /ask FIBARO to turn on lights in the [room].”
Google Home: “Lights in [room] turned on. How else can I help you?”

or is Google Home: in these instances the Fibaro voice ??

@Fibaro Can we get some clarity here please, there is no way you could make an awesome opportunity such a poor implementation, unless this is a very first and early iteration?

@T.Konopka Also can we clarify if 4.153B is working with Fibaro / Google.

Cheers,

al.

Edited by alandee
  • Like 1

Once you've selected your HC don't ask it to list devices, just tell it to turn off a device. All my ceiling lights were just called "ceiling light" but I renamed them to, for instance, "master bedroom light". Once I talk to fibaro and then say "turn off master bedroom light", every single time it says "which device". It's a terrible integration. 

My 5 year old has a google home in his room and there is no way I could get him to turn the lights off. It's hard enough for him to say "he google" and get it to pick it up everytime. 

Incidentally, the Amazon Alexa works fine...

I'm considering switching from Zipato to Fibaro precisely because I just bought a Google Home assistant and - among other problems - there is no integration between the two. Thus being said, what I read in this forum is not very comforting! If I understand well you need to specify each time "talk to Fibaro and do that". You cannot simply say "hey Google turn on the bedroom lights"? Is that it?

Also isn't there a way to go through IFTTT? That's what I do now with Zipato and it works pretty well (my problems are linked to a bug in the Temperature control widget, not to the integration between IFTTT and Zipato FYI).

Thanks for clarifying, I'm potentially new to Fibaro, but once bitten twice shy as they say...

Yeah... 

If your main consideration is the Google Home assistant... stay as you are. Don't switch it. The current implementation is useless. I cannot use it at all.

For example it cannot be compared with SmartThings (where I came from). That one worked like a charm.

Any thing you read about this here is true.

Let's hope Fibaro will reconsider the implementation.

Edited by adyboss

Funny you mention SmartThings, because I was also considering going that way, but I've read reviews that were not so good. It's crazy that no one is able to provide a good home automation system that integrates the latest technologies. It's not like Google Home is a gadget made by a small start up which future is unknown... Home assistants will probably help generalize home automation, at last, it seems crazy to miss the opportunity. Unless they want Google to ravish the market, like in many other fields! 

The best thing with ST is the community. Check their forum and you will see hundreds of developers posting their solutions. Hundreds of users posting their device profiles. It is nothing there you cannot use and you can with Fibaro.

The programming language is more simpler and intuitive (I am not a programmer but I've realized some scenes there).

Being powered by Samsung and as it was announced at CES, it will be merged with other systems... it means it will become bigger.

And the price? :)

Of course, Fibaro has the fancy GUI (interface)...

I will decide in the following weeks what I will keep.

Also, considering going with SmartThings due to terrible Google Assistant implementation here in Fibaro. If only there were some reliable responses from Fibaro about future (eventual) updates. One day I get, YES we are working on it, another day, we are not even thinking about it for now. Sad!

I really don't know what to do I must say. I hate that the big players win again, but the reality is that the small guys don't have enough funding nor vision to offer a service that goes beyond the "techy" stage. I'll definitely have a look at SmartThings. What they announced at CES is ambitious, but lacks down to earth projects...
I'm also tempted by the Chinese I must say. Xiaomi seems to have some interesting solutions, but everything is designed for the Chinese market, the app is barely translated into English and I suppose the customer service is even worse than with European players! But prices are crazy low...

Edited by Luderic

Everything is working now:

/sarcasm mode off

Edited by JanRemco

Seriously. As long as you have to say "talk to Fibaro", I won't even consider this solution. The more I use Google home, the more I try to shorten my commands.

And if I may say, from a pure marketing point of view, I find it pretty weak to promote the use of Google Home in conjunction with an iron! Who on earth connects an iron to a zwave plug?!  ;-)  

• Like 1

Ordered Smartthings Hub. Firstly, I will run it as secondary controller and use is as the bridge to Google Home. If I'm happy with ST, then I will get rid of Fibaro and never use it again. 

@Fibaro the Vera Plus Home Controller now has you guys beat with "real google home integration."   quite sad if you ask me...

@T.Konopka and @Fibaro i too am having issues with the integration. I get as far as everybody else to getting my device listed on google assistant, then says couldn’t find any devices nothing seems to work. I have tried all suggestions on this forum and all advice from the web on this issue, And there seems no way to unlink the damn Fibaro from google home to try and reset. It’s basically a waste of time at the mo.

@matt1981 how does the bridge you mentioned from Skaro technology really work, does it fill the gap to control fibaro hc via google,Siri voice assistance well?. 

Edited by jacethesparky

Fibaro likes to delete posts that "market" others products, but at this point, they deserve competition from their users that have to fill in the gaps that they took by taking shortcuts....  but it works the way the fibaro's app "should have worked." 

it works with siri, google home and alexa. the way it works is that its a separate unit on on a raspberry pi 3.  you login to the localhost webpage on and boom, it lists all virtual devices, and devices and scenes in your fibaro.  and thats it.  no coding, nothing.  heres @skarotech website.  he goes a lot more into detail and answers all the questions.  heres a few screenshots from the site

Please login or register to see this attachment.

On 23.01.2018 at 11:05 AM, jacethesparky said:

@T.Konopka and @Fibaro i too am having issues with the integration. I get as far as everybody else to getting my device listed on google assistant, then says couldn’t find any devices nothing seems to work. I have tried all suggestions on this forum and all advice from the web on this issue, And there seems no way to unlink the damn Fibaro from google home to try and reset. It’s basically a waste of time at the mo.

Hi @jacethesparky!

I'm sorry to hear that you have some problems with Fibaro and Google Home integration. Did you contact our support team?

We have tested it many times and it works quite fine with the commands below:

If you have addition questions as if it works with scenes, etc. You can check the FAQ:

Finally, proper procedure of adding Google Home is here:

I know some of you have probably already read this, but those documents really do get updates and it may be still valuable to check them out again!

On 23.01.2018 at 1:42 PM, matt1981 said:

Fibaro likes to delete posts that "market" others products, but at this point,

Well, it's just advertising using our web-space, isn't it?

I still would like you to refrain from direct linking.

Finally, I can tip you that better home integration is being developed but of course we need some more time and I don't know any exact dates.

i followed ALL directions to a T, adding google home to my HC2.  There is even a video posted on fibaro's facebook page in the comments section from a user, showing how frustrating it is trying to use his google mini and how it runs him circles.  THIS is not what you'd expect from such an expensive home automation system...   @skarotech bridge does exactly what fibaro's "home control" should do.

Edited by matt1981
edit

On 25. 1. 2018 at 4:02 PM, I.Srodka said:

Finally, I can tip you that better home integration is being developed but of course we need some more time and I don't know any exact dates.

Sad it is taking ages and was not done at the first place! Secondly, in my opinion Fibaro does not know what the full integration is and if they do, they do not work on such integration. As I said previously, I have two emails from Fibaro reps, where one said YES we are working on this full integration and second one said NO we do not even consider it :-D

It is a shame such company with "expensive" products will "maybe" have one day full integration and forces us to go via different solutions such as above or as me with SmartThings. Actualy if you are now saying you are working on it, to me, you should take all possible power to develop immediately and not to promise something in future.. This is not such difficult and should be delivered months ago!!!

On 12/21/2017 at 12:34 PM, matt1981 said:

there is such a thing.  Fibaro chose not to go that route, for some very odd reason.. it could be because they prefer the echo, who knows... 

@matt1981 hi, I’ve just had the fibaro system installed in my home & also added google mini to it. Just like you mention above, commands to fibaro take too long. 

Ive noticed you mention ‘they prefer the echo’... does the echo take direct commands to control fibaro devices or do you also need to ‘ask fibaro’? 

Thanks