Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Google Home Integration - feedback

T.Konopka

Question

Hello!

We are happy to announce that Google Home integration with FIBARO System is available now. You can control your FIBARO system with your voice. Interest in voice integration continues to grow throughout the world. Speak to Google Home and gain control over most of your smart devices and scenes. We will continue to expand the list of supported commands and add support for additional languages in the nearest future.

Most important features:

• Works with Google Home and any other devices compatible with Google Assistant
  • You can communicate with English
  • Requires FibaroID and configured Remote Access
  • FAQ:

Please login or register to see this link.

• Manual:

its more than likely @Fibaro  rushed the google home integration, so they could push out their latest and greatest overpriced door intercom that no one is using or needs... i highly doubt we as users will ever see "true native" google home integration like the rest of the other home automation systems on the market..

Edited by matt1981
edit

On 10.01.2018 at 2:42 AM, alandee said:

Can we get some clarity here please, there is no way you could make an awesome opportunity such a poor implementation, unless this is a very first and early iteration?

Articles you've mentioned have been updated.

Additionally, it is a first version, right? We're working on a better version and that's no secret. We constantly develop many of our products, Google Assistant integration is no different.

6 minutes ago, I.Srodka said:

Additionally, it is a first version, right? We're working on a better version and that's no secret. We constantly develop many of our products, Google Assistant integration is no different.

Not agree.

You cannot sell something which is not working.

Not even close as in specs.

9 godzin temu, qbasob napisał:

openHAB now supports Google Assistant Home Control API, thanks to Mehmet Arziman that made the full integration by himself in his free time (something that apparently whole Fibaro team is unable to do). 
I will check it later, but it sounds great.

More info here:

Ok, I've tested it and it works great. Finally I can use short commands using openHAB installed on a RaspberryPi and configured to communicate with Fibaro Home Center via Rest API.

Demo:

Edited by qbasob
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, I.Srodka said:

Articles you've mentioned have been updated.

Thanks for the update, appreciate the feedback.

I'm happy to wait, it's an eagerly anticipated bonus feature, not a core feature to me.

Cheers,

al.

On 2/21/2018 at 6:08 PM, qbasob said:

Ok, I've tested it and it works great. Finally I can use short commands using openHAB installed on a RaspberryPi and configured to communicate with Fibaro Home Center via Rest API.

Demo:

can you say more about integration between openHAB and HCL? do you need to configure/define every HCL device manually in openHAB or is there any plugin that does that automatically?

how do you use Rest API in HCL?

@pooh To learn more about Fibaro Rest API create an account on 

, then go to Documentation -> FGHC Rest API.
There is list of actions also available on http://<your_fibaro_home_center_ip>/docs (for example, mine is http://192.168.1.44/docs).

I've defined all my lights manually in openHAB adding it to .items file (

)  using http binding (

)

Basically, every line in my .items file looks like:

Please login or register to see this code.

At this moment I'm only sending commands from Google Home, via openHAB to HCL. Later, I will add the binding that will get current light status back, so the "Is the <light name> on?" and "Is the <light name> off?" Google Home commands could work. 

Edited by qbasob
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, qbasob said:

To learn more about Fibaro Rest API create an account on 

, then go to Documentation -> FGHC Rest API.
There is list of actions also available on http://<your_fibaro_home_center_ip>/docs (for example, mine is http://192.168.1.44/docs).

I've defined all my lights manually in openHAB adding it to .items file (

)  using http binding (

)

Basically, every line in my .items file looks like:

At this moment I'm only sending commands from Google Home, via openHAB to HCL. Later, I will add the binding that will get current light status back, so the "Is the <light name> on?" and "Is the <light name> off?" Google Home commands could work. 

Thanks @qbasob! that's a great news! I have a Google Home for about a year but it is just playing music.

It would be great if you can create a simple tutorial for ppl like me that never used openhab! Since many of us already have raspberry pi running HA-bridge.

Is the steps similar with HA Bridge?

Dnia 23.02.2018 o 09:17, jamietang napisał:

It would be great if you can create a simple tutorial for ppl like me that never used openhab! Since many of us already have raspberry pi running HA-bridge.

Maybe I will make some detailed tutorial with screenshots, if I'll find some free time next week.

But basically:

1. Create an account on 

(this is openHAB cloud service, that you will connect with Google Home in later steps)

2. Follow this instructions to install openHABian (Raspbian image with openHAB already installed) on RaspberryPi (they recommend RaspberryPI 2 or newer, I'm using my old RaspberryPi 1 and it works just fine):

3. In openHAB PaperUI go to Addons->Bindings->HTTP Binding and click install (we need that binding to be able to connect to Fibaro Home Center API)
4. In openHAB PaperUI go to Addons->Misc->openHAB Cloud Connector and click install (we need that binding to be able to connect to

)

5. Go to 

and set openHAB UUID and openHAB Secret. You will find both UUID and Secret in your openHAB files on your RaspberryPi, more info here:

6. If everything went OK you should now see green ONLINE message on top of 

7. Now you need to add your lights to openHAB. You need to manually create file with any name and '.items' extension in openHAB 'items' directory. For example 'default.items' or 'home.items' in openHAB items directory.

8. This file shoud contain information about every light you want to control, like this (every light should be defined in new line):

You can use 'Switch' instead of 'Dimmer' and remove last command: >[*:GET:http://...] if your light is not dimmable.
9. On your phone go to Google Home app -> Home Control -> (+) and select 'openHAB' from the list
10. Login to the account that you created in first step, then click 'Allow'.

11. If everythhing went OK you should now see list of lights from openHAB in your Google Home.
12. If you will edit/add/remove lights in .items file you will need to ask Google Home/Google Assistant to 'sync my devices'. That will refresh information about your lights in Google Home Control.

One more thing about UUID, secret and .items file:
If you are on Windows, then you should see OPENHABIANPI device in your Network folder. If that is the case:
- items file should be created in: \\OPENHABIANPI\openHAB-conf\items
- UUID is located in 'uuid' file in: \\OPENHABIANPI\openHAB-share\openhab2-userdata

- Secret is located in 'secret' file in: \\OPENHABIANPI\openHAB-share\openhab2-userdata\openhabcloud

Edited by qbasob
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks 

I got most of this running. The only thing that's tripping me up is the formatting of the POST statement, which includes the username with @ sign. I have read that @ and : are not allowed in the POST statement and they have to be Base64 encoded. How did you get around this? I tried to put "name%40address.com" to represent "[email protected]" but this caused a Java error. I think the URL has to have a {Authorization=Basic bmFtZUBhZGRyZXNzLmNvbQ==}. But I can't figure out how to add this to the URL.

Edited by dowoco

10 godzin temu, dowoco napisał:

Thanks 

I got most of this running. The only thing that's tripping me up is the formatting of the POST statement, which includes the username with @ sign. I have read that @ and : are not allowed in the POST statement and they have to be Base64 encoded. How did you get around this? I tried to put "name%40address.com" to represent "[email protected]" but this caused a Java error. I think the URL has to have a {Authorization=Basic bmFtZUBhZGRyZXNzLmNvbQ==}. But I can't figure out how to add this to the URL.

You should use login and password configured in your Home Center. Default is admin/admin. Ther should not be any @ signs in login.
For example: 

: and @ are for basic authentication. More info here: 

But if you really need or want to use base64 encoded credentials in headers, I found this information that can help you:

6 godzin temu, adyboss napisał:

Sorry guys but I think you should open another topic

I'll be more than happy if the administration will move my posts to another thread.

Edited by qbasob

Thanks all for the input.

This does deserve to be in its own topic as it works just as described. I just needed to create a simple user account in Fibaro without using a email address as the username. The admin account is now an email based username and so can not be used in the URL. It works great, fast and responsive.

good job @qbasob

9 minutes ago, johnflorin said:

Can anyone say specifically what syntax they use for best results with Google Home?

So far I've established that Google Home shortcuts don't work, so every single time I have to enter "Fibaro Mode" by telling Google "I want to speak to Fibaro". 

BTW, this is a terrible, terrible keyword for entering Fibaro mode, because for some reason many times Google thinks I'm saying "tomorrow" instead of "Fibaro" or doesn't understand the word at all. And since shortcuts don't work, I'm stuck with using only this word. I've tried multiple variations - Fihbaro, Feebaro, accenting the first part of the word, the second part, I still only get recognition maybe 1 in 3 times. Google Home works just fine for other commands, it doesn't seem to have an issue with my pronunciation, I use it in native mode with Hue and Netatmo and in indirect mode with Harmony. 

Speaking of Harmony, if I say "Hey Google, tell Harmony to turn on my home theater" it says "getting Harmony" and activates the scene, whereas in this case it says "getting Fibaro" and I get the guy's voice asking me "which scene?" or "which device?" - which almost never works if I then specify which scene or device. I even tried to say "Turn on the floor lamp" after being asked which device, it still refuses to do anything if called this way. I have only managed to get it to work if I ask to talk to Fibaro, I thus enter Fibaro mode, and I then ask the guy to turn on a scene or device.

I saw people (and documentation) mentioning that device & scene names matter, have you had better results if using silly names, like "Fred" instead of "floor lamp"? I've named each wall socket device differently, no two have the same name, so confusion for it shouldn't occur (in theory).

Also, what have been your results with slightly different syntax, like saying "my floor lamp" instead of "the floor lamp"? I think it works, but have been too frustrated by its "enter Fibaro mode" voice recognition so far to try out too many options.

I wouldn't even mind much that it's a non-native integration with Google Home if it worked like Harmony, whereas I can just say one single longer sentence and get the result or have a working shortcut that simplifies the query, but the way it works so far (at least with my voice/knowledge) is completely ridiculous, it's like having no integration at all. I could get off my ass and get the phone from any room in the house in the time it takes to turn on a scene or a device, even excluding the horrible reliability. And no, I don't think the previously mentioned hub is a solution, that thing costs 200 AUD, I could get a Vera or a Smartthings hub for that amount and just replace the entire Fibaro system. At the moment, I'm still hoping that my ignorance is causing the problem and that there are better questions I can ask Google Home to achieve the desired result.

Thanks for reading the entire rant and in advance for any help :)

yes, current implementation requires entering "fibaro" state and then you can do something, which is pointless as it takes too much time.

btw, try saying "fajbaro" or " faybaro" if you know what i mean...

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for the suggestion!

I will give it a try when I get back home, if I can at least get its Fibaro mode recognition to improve it would be a big step forward, at least I'd just be stuck with a long set of commands but no repeat frustration. 

Also, what is your usual syntax when you activate Fibaro mode? According to the support article, the shortest possible command is "Hey Google, talk to Fibaro", but I have had even worse recognition with this option than when saying "Hey Google, I want to speak to Fibaro".

Is there any official statement from Fibaro - IF and if so - WHEN - are they planning on releasing an update for google home integration?

Current version is just miserable, even compared to free/open source projects.

I am seriously thinking about switching to Smartthings.

On 2. 3. 2018 at 2:05 PM, lukaszzyla said:

Is there any official statement from Fibaro - IF and if so - WHEN - are they planning on releasing an update for google home integration?

Current version is just miserable, even compared to free/open source projects.

I am seriously thinking about switching to Smartthings.

I have moved to SmartThings and wow, I am so impresed with it.. 

Dnia 3.03.2018 o 20:00, tampiss napisał:

I have moved to SmartThings and wow, I am so impresed with it.. 

How do you feel with Smartthings?

I am only dissapointed with Fibaro approach to Google Home.

I spent some time in last 2 weeks and had my Fibaro system sorted out quite well.

There are few other issues like e.g. Remotec ZXT120 integration - I have troubles adding it to HC2 - I get version mismatch (device is version 1.80 and fibaro can see it as 1.20) which makes it difficult to set up with my LG AC.

After watching some users on youtube demonstrating their ST I thought it might be difficult to run scenes through 2x/3x/longpresses.

Can you share your opinion on that?

How big is your Fibaro system?